What Kind Of Hiking Boots?

Og's outfit

He said air HOLES, Sam. Holes for air to get in & out.

Ahhh. Yesterday was a blur to me - I hadn't gotten much sleep.

About the rubber boots: I think I spotted a geocacher the other day out at a park that has a couple caches. It was not too muddy on the improved trail, but the side trails where the caches are would be quite muddy. Having found the caches long ago, I was just out for a walk and to look at birds. On the way back, around dusk, a man and a boy came down the trail towards me. They were looking at a device and kept looking across a field as if they were looking for something and I think they were contemplating trailblazing or not. Just then the man quickly asks me if the trail bends back that way they were looking. I said it did and they kept on the trail. I've been looking in the logs, but they haven't logged a find. Who knows.

But back to the point, I noticed the man was wearing those rubber boots (gaiters?). I thought that was an excellent idea. I just wear older hiking boots.

I guess the limiting factor might be how long you have to walk in them and how comfortable they are. I would think they would be more prone to causing blisters than hiking boots.

I just bought a new pair of Hi-Tecs. I looked at the Vasques, but they only had the "made in China" ones and I had read from several people here that the original ones made in Italy we much better than the China-made versions. Anyway the hi-tecs fit well so that was the deciding factor...

I don't knock the Hi-Tecs. I've had a pair for three or four years and they've done fine for short hikes. The Hi-Tec "Incline" was voted the "killer value" for Outside mag's gear guide last year.

Mine aren't 'gaiters', they're just black rubber boots that come almost to my knees. I wear them with thick wool socks, and they're very comfortable. I've walked several miles in them with no problems at all. Since they conform to your foot shape, they don't rub much as long as they fit fairly well. You probably don't need them most places, but down here in the southeast Texas swamps and marshes, they're worth getting.

What a great conversation. Thank you all for the great advise and links.

So what about gaiters? I've thought about buying a pair. They'd sure save a ton of time picking out those wild grass seeds that attatch to wool/polyester socks. You know those nasty bugers that don't even come out in the wash?

Are Gaiters worth the money?

Og

I just bought a new pair of Hi-Tecs.  I looked at the Vasques, but they only had the "made in China" ones and I had read from several people here that the original ones made in Italy we much better than the China-made versions.  Anyway the hi-tecs fit well so that was the deciding factor...

I don't knock the Hi-Tecs. I've had a pair for three or four years and they've done fine for short hikes. The Hi-Tec "Incline" was voted the "killer value" for Outside mag's gear guide last year.

And speaking of those Hi-tec Inclines, I just saw them in the new Sportsmans' Guide catalog at a discount!

Check outTHe Sportsman's Guide

The item number is BX4X-78008X

Edited by joefrog

Yes...IMO, gaiters are worth the money. Especially, if your boots are already gore-tex...the gaiters can give you a little more height, if you do a lot of stream crossings and, just like you mentioned, they'll prevent a lot of debris from getting down into your boots. I don't use them all the time, but they're always in my pack, just in case.

Are Gaiters worth the money?

I've been using mine all winter. Keeps the snow out of the boots. I rarely use them in the summer. Though, when I was cache hunting out west where there were tons of those little hitchikers that attach themselves to your laces and socks, they would have come in handy. I threw a good pair of socks away rather than spend an hour picking those things off.

I've had way too many hiking boots to count. I have Merrell's now and they are by far the best and most comfortable boots that I have ever owned. I also wear Alpaca socks with them and my feet love them. I only wear my boots for hiking and I get happy feet every time I put them on. ;) The miles just fly by now.

Edited by Warriorrider