What Kind Of Hiking Boots?

Og's outfit

I've been hiking in a pair of North Face womens hiking boots for about a year and a half. I think I paid around 90 bucks for them. The problem is my feet still hurt after long hikes and I'm still getting blisters. They are pretty well water-proof and don't seem to be falling apart in any way. I always wear non-cotton socks. The blisters I'm getting are on the tips of my second toes, (both of 'em). And for the sake of arguement.......YES, my big toes ARE bigger than my second toes. :D

I've gotten into the habit of fitting those problem tootsies with mole skin before a hike but sometimes it comes unglued, resulting in an annoying lump migrating around my sock.

I never did buy replacement insoles. Do those fancy-schmancy $25 insoles really make a difference? Or are my problems the cause of a bad fit, or a bad boot design?

Any suggestions?

Og

Edited because comas is not a word

Edited by Og's outfit

Here is a unique suggestion. I can't guarantee it will work though. I do Irish dance and there is a dance product that basically consists of loose lambs wool that you pack in the toes of your shoes to pad things and prevent blisters. There are also various dance gel pads for the forefeet and toes. I was skeptical of the lambs wool, thinking that if it moved around in my hard shoes when I danced that it would contribute to blisters. But it worked! I suppose it could also work in hiking boots? Anyway, I tried to go get the link for the company where I normally buy those and their site was down (the Ceili Company). I tried a google search for "dance lambs wool" and pulled up a ton of sites and I suppose one of those would carry it. I assume a search for "bun heads" would find the gel pad stuff since that is the company name of the product. Those are aimed more at padding though than blister prevention I think.

I will add that I currently wear Vasque, but the brand doesn't matter as much as the fit. Unfortunately for me, I have a hard time finding boots in my size (Women's 4) so when I find a good pair that fit right, I wear them to the utmost limit. On the good side, the small sizes are almost always on sale when I can find them!

Anyway, Vasque and Hi-tech have both worked well for me on several occasions, but my recent pair of Vasques are wearing out much sooner than they should, which is annoying me. Considering how happy I have been with them in the past, I am considering writing them a letter about it. I might have gotten a lemon pair and who knows, maybe they will send me a free pair!

I forgot to address insoles. I bought a set once for a pair of Hi-techs that I was stretching to the limit. I don't know that insoles will make a big difference in toe blisters, but at some point new insoles are good for padding. I can't remember for sure the brand I bought. I think they were Spenco running insoles because those cut down easily to my size.

Edited by carleenp

The name is worn of but I think they are Dr. Scholes (sp?). We just look for ones that feel soft. I have tried cheap ones and they tear up in less then a month so get some good ones and they will last much longer. I think the ones we have now are gel filled.

As for elevation gain we backpacked into Little Yosemite Valley (Yosemite NP) which is a steep hike. Coming down I thought my feet were going to be smushed into the toes of my boots but everything was fine.

We also did a 3 mile slope in the Ozarks and came out fine. Like carleenp said it is all in the fit. I wear my boots a good 2 months before I hit the trail because the trail is no place to do any type of breaking in.

Maybe it has something to do with the way they design footwear? I mean can a boot desisned to perform in a size say....5 achieve the same dynamics stretched to a size 10?

That is possible. Mostly, I think it is that different brands will each fit differently and even different models within a brand can be that way. Ideally, try on the boots and walk around the store in them as much as possible. Many boots can need some breaking in but you can likely tell right off if something is a huge problem. For example, I have tried on boots (and other shoes) where they started rubbing wrong in an area real fast and I knew they wouldn't work. Mostly, be sure that you aren't buying too large (huge cause of blisters). Also, many stores will let you return them if you don't wear them outside, so if the store test seems good, then wear them around the house for about three hours and see what happens. A little rubbing that seems like it can wear out (same as "break in") is OK. Lots of pain real quick means a bad fit!

And since I am feeling creative, here is another idea, I don't think it will work for toes though (since too much room is likely the problem there). If boots start rubbing on the ankle bone or other protusion (e.g. a bunion), go to an ice skating shop and ask them to "punch out" or "press out" the area. With skates, they mark the area and then use heat to push it out for a better fit. I question if it would work on gortex, but it could certainly be worth a try on leather boots.

Insoles like Superfeet can help, and so can wearing a thin, polypropelene liner sock under your outer sock...and avoiding cotton socks, which promote blisters, but I think you simply have a pair of boots that don't fit properly. I have the same problem with a $250 pair of Rachlies. Purchased them a few years ago and they are now well broken in, but I still get blisters and soreness. I tried using the Superfeet insoles, but they just caused me to get blisters in different spots. I finally came to the realization that they just aren't made for my feet and consigned them to the closet.

As Carleen noted, different brands are designed to fit certain kinds of feet. Brand A may be better for people with high insteps, brand B, may be better for those with narrow feet, etc.... The key is to find a brand that fits you and stick with it.

Edited by briansnat

Both my wife and I use Vasque boots, too. Love them! Anyway, if you feel that your boots fit and are pretty much broken in...I'd recommend that you try a sock liner. Normally, we'll use the SmartWool hiking socks, but if it's a hot and humid day...we'll use a sock liner in addition to the SmartWools to prevent blisters and we've never had a problem. Give it a try...it may help.

Bought my Merrell Summit boots late last summer, and am very happy with them. They have air cushion insoles, so there is lots of cushioning. And they have great arch support, which matters alot for me, as I have very high arches, and have a hard time finding a boots that gives me the arch support and side wall support I need. They list for around $120 but Ive seen them much lower. Why look :blink: , here's one now:

http://www.trackandtrail.com/Catalog/buyde...ype=B&BrandId=1

Like my brother says: If you buy cheap - you buy twice.

The best thing to get around blisters is to buy real good boots and even more important: socks. The TK series of Falke are very good not only for hiking but also for mountaineering. Meindl has some good socks as well.

In my opinion there are only a few companies which produce good boots: Raichle, Meindl, Lowa, Salomon and my favourite Hanwag.

I definitely dissuade from buying Hi-Tec, TNF, Timberland and all kinds of armyboots - they might look like good boots but I've never met a person who was comfortable with them - including myself.

n my opinion there are only a few companies which produce good boots: Raichle, Meindl, Lowa, Salomon and my favourite Hanwag.

They are all good boot makers. I know of Lowa, Rachlie, Salomon and some other quality boot makers are Vasque, LL Bean, Montrail, Technica, Asolo, Alcio and Merrell, but the key is finding good fitting boots. Don't worry about the brand as long as it fits.

I definitely dissuade from buying Hi-Tec, TNF, Timberland and all kinds of armyboots - they might look like good boots but I've never met a person who was comfortable with them - including myself.

I'd stay away from Timberland too. Their quality has taken a major dive over the past 10 years or so.

Edited by briansnat
Any shopping suggestions?

REI and Eastern Mountain Sports are two that come to mind. Also, try your local specialty outdoors store. Many of them are staffed with knowledgable people.

And another tip. If you find a boot that you really like, buy two pairs if you can afford to. So when your beloved, well fitting hiking boots wear out, you have another pair ready to go in your closet.

Edited by briansnat

Does your area have a Galyans or Dave's sporting goods? They both carry Merrells, and others of course. Galyans will match the competitor's price. I printed off a sale page I found on the Internet and got my $110 Merrells for $49(they are lasy year's Summitt, and not this years Summitt II, but who cares about things like that if they fit? Not me! Not for no $60!). Really! Should have seen the salesman's jaw drop. But they honored their policy.

I have invested in a pair of Asolo Trail Hiking shoes. They were around $80 but worth every penny. They are light and comfortable, very water resistant and my feet never hurt after a full day of geocaching. I bought these mostly for summer caching but I have had success wearing them in the snow also. My feet stay dry. I have been wearing them for the last 500 caches.

Along with the comfort factor, they are provide excellent traction. They grip rocks and have prevented me from slipping many times as opposed to boots and shoes I have worn before. I can't say enough about them. I even purchased another pair just for everyday wear.

Just my opinion but they work for me.

I have always liked the Vasque Sundowners for light hiking. But I have a newer favorite lately, for serious terrain.

I used to think there was something goofy about the guys I knew who wore their Whites work boots EVERYWHERE. But when I expected to be spending long hours on my feet at work, I looked into a better solution for my feet than the mass-marketed hiking shoes.

What I found was a company similar to White, that makes a similar product (Nicks Boots) - but that's not my main point.

I have found that hiking in steep terrain is much easier on my feet when I am wearing a good fitting boot with HIGH TOPS. My current favorite pair go 10" high, but 8" or 6" might work just as well. They key thing is that having that (good fitting) high top makes it impossible for my feet to squish down into the toes when walking down steep grades - WITHOUT having to be extra snug on my feet and toes. This makes a HUGE difference in how far I can comfortably walk.

Between that, a superior fit, a good high arch, and extremely high quality - now I can see why those guys never wore anything less than Whites Loggers. Sure, they're heavy (compared to Sundowners), but it doesn't seem to matter.

Still looks goofy with shorts, though. :o

-ST

I bought a nice pair of Asolos at REI. Thankfully they took them back as they pretty much crippled me after only about two miles. The second eyelet hook from the top was digging fiercely into my ankle bone. Pure agony. I ended up with a pair of Vasque day-hikers. I've put many miles on them and they still feel great. I should mention that I have plantars facietes (spelling) in both feet. I hiked over 12 miles in them and had no problems.

I do Irish dance

Wow, just when you think you have a pretty good mental picture of a cacher, they go and post something like that.... :o

But seriously... I've got some hi-Tek boots I've put many miles on, but they're starting to get a bit squishy when carrying my daughter in her backpack.

I was bent on getting a pair of North Face Trek Light hikers -- they got great reviews from Outside mag. I wanted the leather version, but no one in town had them. I mean NO one. Looked online, and finally found the mesh uppers online at a few places. One store had the leather I wanted at $150. But the store with the mesh uppers had theirs on sale -- for $98. I can eat pretty well on $50, so I got the mesh uppers. They're supposed to arrive on Thursday... will let you know how they perform!

Oh, and I got them from Altrec.com, and the sale goes until 2-2-2004.

Edited by joefrog

I'd stay away from Timberland too. Their quality has taken a major dive over the past 10 years or so.

My shoe saga

Well, 5 years or so ago I was given a pair of Timberlands and they were pretty good. They were "hiking boots" but they looked nice enough to wear with slacks. Then I bought another that was very similar (yet NOT the same model - it seems you can't find any maker that sticks with a model and so you have to start over every time). They looked pretty close, but started squeaking inside the soles. I sent them back, they sent me replacements which were, again, different. They were much less pricewise, though I didn't know it at the time and if they were good I wouldn't care. They were noticalbly cheaper and uglier. So....

I go to a shoe store after many long searches and found a pair of Skechers that were pretty darn good and about $40. Never intended to buy that brand, but if it works.... They put up with a solid year of use (and I walk a fair bit) but are showing their age. I look at Skechers again and, of course, they don't make those any more. They, like Timberland, offer a variety of shoes, but they all look more like gaudy, glorified hightop sneakers. I found ONE pair of a model that only has a few obnoxious tags on them but seem decent. I discover later the soles squeak on all smooth floors. This is due to the tread pattern which they decided needed fixing even though it wasn't broke (now it is). Then the obnoxious and excessive labels they added finally showed to be the pointless liability they are as they, being made of a cheap plastic, split only after wearing them a week. So, I send them back. They are very nice about it and ask me what I want to replace it with. I search the internet and find only one that look decent. I get them. They actually look pretty good. The soles are normal and don't squeak. But, they just had to screw up something, so they decided to, on an otherwise all leather shoe, make the tongue out of plastic. This plastic rubs against the leather and "squeak squeak squeak" with every step.

I also bought a pair of Doc Martens. Everyone raves about them. Soles are made of soft rubber and squeak on almost all smooth floors.

Why is this such a hassle???? All I want is a plain leather &%#@$ boot.

I also bought a pair of Doc Martens. Everyone raves about them. Soles are made of soft rubber and squeak on almost all smooth floors.

Why is this such a hassle???? All I want is a plain leather &%#@$ boot.

Suggestion: Wear your hiking boots when you hike and not in the gym, or mall.

Edited by briansnat

Here is a link to a Bootmaker that gives some great tips on how to check fit for any boot:

http://www.peterlimmerbootgrease.com/html/fit_check.html

Peter Limmer & Sons, Intervale, NH are Master Bootmakers and if you are truly looking to make an "investment" in your feet!....give them a call...the boots are custom made to YOUR feet, and easily can last a lifetime with care and a few "re-soles"

As many have said...don't worry about brand, FIT is the most important.

I will add that I currently wear Vasque, but the brand doesn't matter as much as the fit. Unfortunately for me, I have a hard time finding boots in my size (Women's 4) so when I find a good pair that fit right, I wear them to the utmost limit. On the good side, the small sizes are almost always on sale when I can find them!

Oh my! I thought my feet were hard to fit. My grandmother used to wear a 4 and had a really tough time finding shoes. I wear a Women's 6.5, but really need a 'narrow' width. There just aren't many made - and I've never found a hiking boot in 'narrow'. So I sometimes have the 'toe squish' problem just because my foot slides forward in the shoe. I can't really mail order shoes, because I need to try them on. However, I've learned of several new brands to look for from this post, and will be searching soon.

BTW, right now I use an old pair (will have to check the brand) and some Timberlands (which I actually really like, but of course can't find anymore).

I have owned Red Wings (great work boots), Rocky's (the soles fell apart after 5 years), Danner (I use these for hunting) and Asolo (great for hiking in places with a lot of rocks). But for caching, 90% of the time, I find my New Balance running shoes to be the most comfortable, blister free, and lightweight. As a bonus, I can run faster when being chased by cowboys and calvery. :lol:

Edited by clearpath

Does anyone know where I can find a pair of Technica Approach Boots? I bought a pair (probably a closeout) for $50 from Sierra Trading Post about three years ago, and they have to be the best boots I've ever owned. Ankle high, two lbs, but sturdy, not at all like the typical trail runner shoe, good looking, and comfortable beyond belief. I regret not buying a couple of pairs when I first purchased these boots, as I've never seen them since. Although technically not a heavy hiking boot, I've walked a couple of hundred heavy pack miles on the VA/MD/PA AT, Adirondacks and Catskills with them, many, many, many more on day hikes and elsewhere but, alas, now they are showing signs of boot-death. I've gorilla-glued the soles twice, even taken them to an old time boot repair shop, but they are going, as all good boots eventually must. The uppers are still great, but there is no way to replace the soles --I'm in a quandry as well as to what my next boot will be -- my previous pairs have been heavy Raichle leather boots, but these Technicas were bliss to my tootsies...

I am probably a bit biased but after 9 years in the Army I can't find anything more comfortable that my GI Boots. The trick is to break then in right. DO NOT TRY THIS IN THE WINTER. Take a 20 minute hot shower with you boots on. Put on clothes and walk on flat level ground and just around the house until they are dry. Load them up with saddle soap and you're good to go. This works real well for the all-leather (recruit) boots or leather "jungle boots". With the jungle boots you get what you pay for so spend the bucks for a pair of Altimas not la-cheap-o korean imports. The desert tan boots without the air-holes in the instep are super light and comfortable (and look acceptable with jeans) just dont use saddle soap on the suede leather.

My $.02 Worth.

I am probably a bit biased but after 9 years in the Army I can't find anything more comfortable that my GI Boots. The trick is to break then in right. DO NOT TRY THIS IN THE WINTER. Take a 20 minute hot shower with you boots on. Put on clothes and walk on flat level ground and just around the house until they are dry. Load them up with saddle soap and you're good to go. This works real well for the all-leather (recruit) boots or leather "jungle boots". With the jungle boots you get what you pay for so spend the bucks for a pair of Altimas not la-cheap-o korean imports. The desert tan boots without the air-holes in the instep are super light and comfortable (and look acceptable with jeans) just dont use saddle soap on the suede leather.

My $.02 Worth.

Very interesting. For some reason I was thinking the boots were cloth now? But obvoiusly there is a variety? The "good" ones are made in the US? Shoes made in the US? Surely you jest.... :lol:

I'd like to know more about this break in. Do you get them fitted snug first and they stretch to fit? It would surely take days to dry, wouldn't it?

And what is with the air soles and the desert boots? The air soles are some kind of foam, I take it? This is bad because it absorbs too much or falls apart?

Thanks.

He said air HOLES, Sam. Holes for air to get in & out. Back when the earth was young and I was in Ranger school, we soaked our boots in neats-foot oil. I wouldn't do that now, though. The oil eventually degrades the leather, and the boots stink.

What I've been wearing caching is a pair of $11 rubber boots from Academy. It's so wet down here that lots of the time wading is necessary. I did a cache today that had so much water I needed the height, the water was a foot deep in places. I carry them in the back of my pickup truck, and change into them when I get to the parking spot, and then change back into my regular footwear when I get back to the truck.

Edited by NightPilot

I just bought a new pair of Hi-Tecs. I looked at the Vasques, but they only had the "made in China" ones and I had read from several people here that the original ones made in Italy we much better than the China-made versions. Anyway the hi-tecs fit well so that was the deciding factor...