Reviewer Won't Accept My Cache

GPSCache

I love GEOCaching. It's a blast. I've found over 150 and left a bunch.

I got a stubborn reviewer (Hemlock) who after accepting a bunch of my caches, all of sudden, decided that he doesn't like the new virtual I've left.

The trouble is, this reviewer doesn't have one find and has no active caches left by him.

So what right does he have to decide whether a cache is good or not?

Also, this cache, I know, is darned good. As a relatively experienced cacher, I KNOW this is a good, if not great cache.

I really feel that this game, a GPS game, is built upon the generosity of the cachers in setting up caches for others to do. Being snobby is not the way of the game.

I would absolutely love to show you the cache page, although it may not be available since it's archived..

Although here is a copy of the basic material for the cache.. I'll let you be the judge. I feel I'm right in looking to get this cache active:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=111174

Lincoln Remembrance

N 37° 38.231 W 119° 01.048 (WGS84)

UTM: 11S E 321993 N 4167475

Danger on all sides.. This cache is located within the Mammoth Mountain Ski area. During the snow season, you'll need to be skiing or snowboarding. During the rest of the year (if the area is even open) you'll need to do some steep climbing.

On the very top of Lincoln Mountain, is a plaque. The plaque is dedicated to "Ray Critton".

On the plaque, what are the 3 things said about Ray?

For cache credit, send me an email with the 3 things about Ray.

Coordinates Rock-Solid WAAS Tough.

Be careful since it is at the summit of a mountain.

Edited by GPSCache

do a search for virtual in these forums, there has been many other topics on them being not approved. THe guidlines do state that there needs to be a logbook so no virts unless on NPS or something like that land where virts are the only type allowed, couldn't you make it an ofset or place a trad nearby, if its way up on a mountian?

My take on virtuals differers completely from what I'm about to say.

First, I don't know if Hemlock caches under that account or not but as an approver it's reasonable to think they have a separate account. It helps keeps the approver Hemlock job separate from the geocacher Hemlock. I really don't think finds is the issue. Having said that.

Plaques are generally not approved for virtuals without there being some "WoW" factor, whatever in the heck that is. If you could of stuck a Micro there they could of and should of asked you to place one. Alternatly it sounds like you could of made into a multi cache and thereby meet this sites rules. Barring that you can show why you can't place a traditional cache, there and get it approved.

As a virtual with no more information to go on than "It's a plaque" it's not approvable on this site. You can either list it on Navicache (if they take virtuals) or a couple of other sites these days, or you can change the cache.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Its pretty obvious from your description that your virtual doesn't comply with the current guidelines for a virtual cach, so why the indignant rant? Of course you read the guidelines before trying to list your cache (you checked the box), so you already knew it wasn't acceptable in its present form.

:D My son is having the same problem with NJADMIN. My son placed a cache and NJADMIN had some concerns,which my son addressed in an email but Mr. Admin didn't get back to him or approve the Cache. Which by the way is a traditional Cache. after several failed attempts I emailed NJADMIN and he hasn't even had the courtesy to email either one of us back. I realize these approvers are volunteers, but have some dadgum courtesy for people! If your'eot going to ever approve a cache someone should know so it doesn't become Cache trash!

I would have handled this cache much like Hemlock, even though I'm a relative newbie since Hemlock has hundreds more finds under his or her geocaching player account than I have under mine.

To answer btouch's question, Hemlock's archive note was 7 paragraphs long and explained several of the factors to be taken into consideration before this cache could be approved as a virtual. Among other things, the note said:

I'm reviewing your virtual cache submission, and I'm going to need a bit more information. The cache has been temporarily archived while we discuss it, and will be un-archived and approved as soon as I can determine if it fits within the guidelines.
I guess we'll have that discussion in the forums. :D

KA - I couldn't get to the archived cache, so I wasn't able to read what you read. But, in my experience, the admins/approvers are a pretty reasonable lot and I figured that he would've given GPScache some sort of explaination. My question is, why didn't GPScache state this when he opened this thread?

As a cache reviewer, I can see the cache in question.

Yes Hemlock, gave you reasons why he felt your virtual for a plaque honoring a ski patroller did not meet the current guidelines for a virtual cache. He also linked you to the section of the guidelines he felt covered that.

Your reply on the cache page seems to indicate you do not desire to hide a physical cache there, not that you can't.

If I were reviewing the cache in it's current form, I would not approve it either.

And not that it matters, but Hemlock the geocacher has hundreds and hundreds of finds more then you.

Listen guys. I don't know if you read much, but I said it's within the Mammoth Mountain SKI area. Do you know what that means? It means, you can't leave a cache on their property-it's a company. You can't leave a cache on company land even if it is leased.

Also, when you are wearing a big snowsuit while playing in the snow, and it's zero degrees on the top of a mountain and it's blowing like mad, you don't want to fool around with a little micro (if I didn't already explain it's on a company's land and it's not the place for a physical cache).

Finally, in a ski area, it snows, and it snows around a ski area and buries caches. A physical cache get buried by (duh) snow.

You need a virtual in this area. You don't put a multi-into another snowed-in area. The only way to do this-is to have a virtual.

Bottom line-is.. are you people lazy? It's a cache, go out and do it and quit your complaining.

Edited by GPSCache
:D  My son is having the same problem with NJADMIN. My son placed a cache and NJADMIN had some concerns,which my son addressed in an email but Mr. Admin didn't get back to him or approve the Cache. Which by the way is a traditional Cache. after several failed attempts I emailed NJADMIN and he hasn't even had the courtesy to email either one of us back. I realize these approvers  are volunteers, but have some dadgum courtesy for people! If your'eot going to ever approve a cache someone should know so it doesn't become Cache trash!

The first reply I've heard back from either you or your son was yesterday. If I remember right, the caches in question were placed quite some time ago. You also didn't include the GC# or URL in those emails, which make it a lot harder to figure out what caches you are even talking about.

EDIT: Ok, I found one cache so far. It was hid 12/28/03, and reviewed on 12/29. At that time, the cache description asked if someone would add a log book. It also looks on the maps to be in an area that forbids people leaving the path. I questioned that, along with if a cache over 60 miles from home could be maintained by someone who doesn't drive yet. I asked for this info to be emailed to me. I see your son posted notes to the cache page, but we only see those when we review the cache, they don't automagically get emailed to me. The first I've hear from you or your son about this cache was over 3 weeks after I inquired.

Edited by NJ Admin
Its pretty obvious from your description that your virtual doesn't comply with the current guidelines for a virtual cach, so why the indignant rant? Of course you read the guidelines before trying to list your cache (you checked the box), so you already knew it wasn't acceptable in its present form.

There's no trouble when you do your job man

:D  My son is having the same problem with NJADMIN. My son placed a cache and NJADMIN had some concerns,which my son addressed in an email but Mr. Admin didn't get back to him or approve the Cache. Which by the way is a traditional Cache. after several failed attempts I emailed NJADMIN and he hasn't even had the courtesy to email either one of us back. I realize these approvers  are volunteers, but have some dadgum courtesy for people! If your'eot going to ever approve a cache someone should know so it doesn't become Cache trash!

The first reply I've heard back from either you or your son was yesterday. If I remember right, the caches in question were placed quite some time ago. You also didn't include the GC# or URL in those emails, which make it a lot harder to figure out what caches you are even talking about.

:D My apologies you are right I think neither of us did include the GC# or URL, not thinking you probably have 100s to approve. So this being our mistake I apolgize for the rip, but we both emailed you several times before yesterday. :D

I've approved a number of caches placed in ski resorts that also have hiking trails. The key is to ask permission. It's quite simple, really. You want people to go to their property, they want people to go to their property. So long as the cache isn't commercial, physical caches are approved all the time at locations like this. I am looking forward to hunting the one placed with permission at the ski resort closest to my home, the next time I go skiing.

I've approved a number of caches placed in ski resorts that also have hiking trails.  The key is to ask permission.  It's quite simple, really.  You want people to go to their property, they want people to go to their property.  So long as the cache isn't commercial, physical caches are approved all the time at locations like this.  I am looking forward to hunting the one placed with permission at the ski resort closest to my home, the next time I go skiing.

Mammoth Mountain receives 375 inches of snow average each year. Do you know that this is 31.25 feet of snow? This is big snow, with big drifts. I'm talking you'd need a cache that's 20-30 feet off the ground if you want a year-round cache.

http://jrabold.net/mammoth/mamski.htm]Mammoth Ski Area Average Annual Snowfall[/url]

Edited by GPSCache
It means, you can't leave a cache on their property-it's a company. You can't leave a cache on company land even if it is leased.

Bottom line-is.. are you people lazy? It's a cache, go out and do it and quit your complaining.

:D

Oh, my -- this is a SURE way to get them to approve it. Be an a** in the forums!

I'm from the south, so ski resorts are a rarity here (there is one, BTW). Question I haven't noticed yet regarding your comment above... You say it's THEIR property. And it's a ski area. Do you have to pay to get in? How much?

Reworded -- do you have to pay to get your virtual cache?

:D My apologies you are right I think neither of us did include the GC# or URL, not thinking you probably have 100s to approve. So this being our mistake I apolgize for the rip, but we both emailed you several times before yesterday. :D

See my edit above.

Before last night, I had not seen any emails. If you just post notes on the cache page, or reply to the email that was sent thru geocaching.com, the approvers don't get it. That's why my note included at the bottom

NOTE: do not select reply in your e-mail program if you wish to respond to this message from the geocaching.com mail bot. Go to your cache page and e-mail NJ Admin from the log there or email me directly at nj@GeocachingAdmin.com , referencing the cache URL, or waypoint number. Also, do not remove any admin notes as they aid other Geocaching.com admins if they need to work with you on your cache.

Listen guys. I don't know if you read much, but I said it's within the Mammoth Mountain SKI area. Do you know what that means? It means, you can't leave a cache on their property-it's a company. You can't leave a cache on company land even if it is leased.

Also, when you are wearing a big snowsuit while playing in the snow, and it's zero degrees on the top of a mountain and it's blowing like mad, you don't want to fool around with a little micro (if I didn't already explain it's on a company's land and it's not the place for a physical cache).

Finally, in a ski area, it snows, and it snows around a ski area and buries caches. A physical cache get buried by (duh) snow.

You need a virtual in this area. You don't put a multi-into another snowed-in area. The only way to do this-is to have a virtual.

Exactly, what are you trying to achieve with this indignant rant ??? :D

Bottom line, you don't need a cache here at all.

Now, if you want to place a cache here, and you want to list it on an on-line listing service, you need to follow their guidelines.

Oh, and you probably want to be polite when you deal with the folks making the decisions regarding whether or not to list your wonderful submission...

Uh, who says a cache has to be placed on the ground (under snow)? I have found caches hanging in trees and stuck to the bottom of a fir extinguisher case with a magnet. Not all caches need to be placed on the ground. Maybe you kind find a micro hiding spot nearby?

Mammoth Mountain receives 375 inches of snow average each year. Do you know that this is 31.25 feet of snow? This is big snow, with big drifts. I'm talking you'd need a cache that's 20-30 feet off the ground if you want a year-round cache. 

Um....just how tall is this plaque?

This is what I'm thinking!! It's either too tall (34.75' I added for the mount) to read during the summer or it's buried 31.24 feet under snow. :D

Let's see what we have here:

I work for Intel. Intel is a company. I have a cache on company property. I have not received a single complaint from site security about the cache in the 10 months its been there.

Ok, it would be hard to open a container while wearing ski gloves. I ski, so I can agree with that one. I could put a micro in my pocket and take off my glove to open it! :D I also wear a smaller pair of gloves under my ski-gloves in case I need the dexterity and don't want my hands to freeze. That said, I would love to ski down a mountain looking for a cache. I think it would be fun. If I didn't like cold weather, I wouldn't be there anyway.

It also snows in Chicago. Not a lot of skiing going on there, but I hear they have plenty of traditional caches! Same goes for Pennsylvania, Colorado, New York, and several other places. People cache in the snow everyday.

See my last comment. There are many places that have traditional caches and snow. Of course, those caches receive more visits in the summer when there isn't snow. I've been to Mammoth in August, there's no snow. You don't even have to worry about gloves then (but bring a light jacket at least).

We're not lazy, we just need a good reason to allow "yet another historical marker" to be approved as a virtual cache. The guidelines require there to be a "wow" factor for virtuals. There must be some compelling reason why a traditional cache can't be placed there. "I haven't asked for permission" is not a compelling reason, that's called being lazy. So you should quit complaining and go through the proper procedure for placing caches.

I'll tell you.. If you don't want to caches, then you come up with reasons not to do caches. If you want to do caches, then you find solutions.

Here's the scenario.

It's at the top of a mountain.

Subfreezing temperatures.

Company land.

Convenient plaque at the top.

What is the matter with doing a virtual anyway?

Don't you mother&%$#@s enjoy doing virtuals?

Just go to %$#@& and the $@%$& with you all!!!!!

Some people enjoy virtuals. Other will do them if they happen to be near one. You're failing to read the guidelines all the way, especially the part of the "wow" factor. What is so unique about this fallen ski patroller's plaque that would make me say "wow!" when I found it?

Some people enjoy virtuals. Other will do them if they happen to be near one. You're failing to read the guidelines all the way, especially the part of the "wow" factor. What is so unique about this fallen ski patroller's plaque that would make me say "wow!" when I found it?

It's at the top of a mountain. The views are fantastic. It's in a less-trod portion of the ski area. It's surrounded by double diamond ski runs named "Avalanche" and "Grizzly". There is a way down that is Expert-Intermediate. It looks like an area that would be dangerous. If you are interested in Mammoth Ski Area (why are you there in the first place?) then it would probably interest you (it ties in with McCoy history). Basically, it's convenient that there is a plaque at the top of this mountain. It's neat-it's cool. It's not a bummer. I want it because it's unique-not because it sucks.

...What is the matter with doing a virtual anyway?

Not a dadgum thing.

Yes I do enjoy virtuals though generally not as much as a regular cache. I'm not sure if mother(explative deleted)s like virtuals or not.

You forgot "and the horse you rode in on".

...What is the matter with doing a virtual anyway?

Not a dadgum thing.

Yes I do enjoy virtuals though generally not as much as a regular cache. I'm not sure if mother(explative deleted)s like virtuals or not.

You forgot "and the horse you rode in on".

Everyone always picks on the poor horses :D

Here's the scenario.

Company land.

I understand your reasons for thinking a virtual is a good thing there. BUT, have you politely explained things to the approver? For example have you thought through whether you could get permission and find some creative way to plant a traditional or micro cache there? If you honestly believe you can't, have you made this clear in easy to understand terms (e.g. calmly and completely)? That is the first step. Second, plaques and such are often not approved as virtuals anyway. I don't have a strong opinion on if they should be or not. What you need to do there is explain (again, politely) to the approver why it is special. If it isn't approved, then what is the worth of getting so angry about it? It makes you appear irrational and I would guess doesn't contribute to your personal happiness. Also, you can always list it on Navicache or there is a another site dedicated to waypoints in general (sorry, I can't remember the name of it right off but will find it for you if you want it).

There is nothing wrong with doing a virtual. But this site has developed certain guidelines for them. If you want to debate the policy, you might be able to find a previous thread on that to resurrect.

I find this very unnecessary and will not answer whether I enjoy doing virtuals or not because I am not a "mother&%$#@."

Overall, please calm down and try to see things more clearly, then write a nice email to the approver. I know you are upset, but I think people have generally been pretty patient with you here and have tried to explain things.

In the whole scheme of things there are much worse things going on in the world to get upset about. Anyway, whatever happens, good luck and happy caching. :D

edited to correct gramer and speling :D

Edited by carleenp

I work for Intel. Intel is a company. I have a cache on company property. I have not received a single complaint from site security about the cache in the 10 months its been there.

It must be in a public area. I assuming you mean Intel in Rio Rancho. The last time I was there I remember security being very tight and the security guards were well armed.

And as asked before.

How deep in the snow is this plaque most of the year?

Who would want to dig through 30 feet of snow to find the plaque, micro or not? As for the information, if the plaque is at the top of the mountain, make it a multi stage cache using information from the plaque and put the main cache at the bottom of the hill. After all, your sking down to the bottom anyway, right?

Calm down and be sure to use the RIGHT FORM TO QUIT.

logscaler.

1) Can the answers to the questions be used in some fashion to point to a physical cache (even a micro) at the base of the mountain? Perhaps near a parking area? Maybe something with the letters or the date on the plaque?

2) Is it possible to see this plaque without paying someone some money. Can you get to the top of the mountain for free?

3) When you yell at and insult people do they usually do what you want them to do or do you just get madder at them because they continue to not do what you want? I've noticed being nice, listening, and trying to see their point of view has worked wonders but I'm curious to see how insulting people works out.

You have to understand that the only real guideline for the approval of virtual caches is that it must please the approver. Unfortunately, displaying a displeasing attitude will definitely work against you. If you want a virtual to succeed, you have to suck up, not blow down. That's just the way it is.

So, I'm thinking this is the Geocide equivalent of pointing a gun at the cops in order to get shot. Anyone want to rate his attempt?

Edited by yumitori
And as asked before. 

How deep in the snow is this plaque most of the year? 

Who would want to dig through 30 feet of snow to find the plaque, micro or not?  As for the information, if the plaque is at the top of the mountain, make it a  multi stage cache using information from the plaque and put the main cache at the bottom of the hill.  After all, your sking down to the bottom anyway, right? 

Calm down and be sure to use the RIGHT FORM TO QUIT.

logscaler.

WHAT!! &^%$# You think I'm not ^$%^7878^$#& Calm!??!! What about you, you ^^^$$&, do you &*$&, or are you just a ^*(#()&**.!!! I want this #&&(&^%^ cache accepted, and I want it accepted #^(*&@^@^%% now!!!

Ahh.. but seriously, this cache is at the top of a mountain that stands about 700 feet higher than a MUCH bigger mountain that makes up the ski area. The top of this "bump" is wind blown commonly by gusts 50MPH plus! It is not an area for an ordinary cache. Due to the high winds, there isn't much snow on this particular area, if any.

Let me assure you, I am not playing with anyone's mind here. I have a degree from UCLA, and my parents have University degrees. I am an educated adult and am capable of discussing such issues. I have also clearly and calmly discussed this cache via emails with the GEOCaching.com staff. When I use #^*#@^@! talk, it was in jest. I hope you understand that this is game using billion dollar GPS technology and it is all in fun, no offense- but now you $^@# know.

One dude didn't take it the right way and wrote me this note about these forum messages:

Dear Sir,

I am capable of forming my own opinions about third party people with out your unsolicited hate mail. Please keep your opinions of others to yourself, for I really don't wish to hear it. If you have something that particularly pertains to me and the sport of geocaching I would like to hear it, otherwise please do not abuse the right of email that the geocaching website affords you.

Sincerely,

Wildlifeguy

Edited by GPSCache
I'll tell you.. If you don't want to caches, then you come up with reasons not to do caches. If you want to do caches, then you find solutions.

Here's the scenario.

Company land.

Oh my, I hope you can get over this I did. Next thing I know you want to bitch slap someone. Gotta love the brainpower spent on the coming up with such unique trash talk.

As far as the virtual is concern this is not the place to handle it, so grow up and make reasonable replies to the approver or suck it up and move on.

Being Canadian I just gave you my 3 cents worth, the extra penny goes towards the exchange rate.

Ok.....I'm laughing to hard to quote you, but you asked if we read the post. Have you spent any time at all in the forums in the past year and a half? I've only been here since just after Thanksgiving, but I can't count on all my paws and claws how many times this poor horse (no offense, COAdmin) has been beaten, whipped, clubbed, sliced, diced and turned into julienne fries (whatever the heck those are). When I opened the thread, you had about 61 posts to your name....not all of them here, so obviously, you've at least spent a little time here. Did you try to do a search for virtuals? (Not likely). Did you try to work with the approver? (Not likely). Did you really think bashing the approver would get your virtual approved? (Not likely). Do you think you're the only person in the world who has ever had a lame virtual not approved? (Most likely) Do you think anyone here wants to hear another "they won't approve my lame virtual" rant? (Definitely not, except for the entertainment value).

Now, I've got to agree with travisl when he quoted your potty mouth: WOW! :D

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot: How long will it take to do a google search for the plaque to find out the answers to your question? I've got a few spare minutes when you get it approved, so I'll log it as a find to pad my numbers...oh boy oh boy more numbers!!! Wooooo Hoooooo!!!!! Can you please hurry up and finish bashing the approver so this will be approved? I need a really, truly unique find for #23! :D

Ok.....I'm laughing to hard to quote you, but you asked if we read the post. Have you spent any time at all in the forums in the past year and a half? I've only been here since just after Thanksgiving, but I can't count on all my paws and claws how many times this poor horse (no offense, COAdmin) has been beaten, whipped, clubbed, sliced, diced and turned into julienne fries (whatever the heck those are). When I opened the thread, you had about 61 posts to your name....not all of them here, so obviously, you've at least spent a little time here. Did you try to do a search for virtuals? (Not likely). Did you try to work with the approver? (Not likely). Did you really think bashing the approver would get your virtual approved? (Not likely). Do you think you're the only person in the world who has ever had a lame virtual not approved? (Most likely) Do you think anyone here wants to hear another "they won't approve my lame virtual" rant? (Definitely not, except for the entertainment value).

Now, I've got to agree with travisl when he quoted your potty mouth: WOW! :D

Then compete with me.

Do you have an education? Do you know how to read?

Do you have a life?

I don't care if you have a lot of posts. You have little to say.

Maybe Ray Critton did.

I got a stubborn reviewer (Hemlock)

Hemlock is also our local approver. I'll refer to Hemlock as "they" or "them" since I don't know gender or team status. I also don't know who they are or know their caching alias. I prefer that approvers retain their anonymity.

I have found Hemlock to be very thoughtful and helpful when they "reject" caches I've tired to post. They take time to carefully consider every aspect of the proposed cache before they respond. If the cache doesn't meet the guidelines they will offer suggestions as to how to make it work. When it is marginal they still offer suggestions and have even experimented in their own home with solutions to some specific problems I was having. It is clear to me that they spend a lot of time at this volunteer task and always try to do their best.

I get grumpy for a few minutes when I have a cache rejected but if I can't adjust it to make it work I find it is actually easier just to give it up and find another location. My two cents.