Geoteaming On Ebay

aka Monkey

I don't know. I don't see the point with having a partnership with them. I guess it doesn't really effect me, I just don't see the point. I can put that together myself. Why would I pay $2500 for it. I'll tell you what. If anyone needs an event like that, I've got plenty of experience with team building. I'll do it for $1,000. Oh Plus $1500 for me to fly out if you need me to come there.

The central idea isn't geocaching. It's team building as in a corporate management structure. There are some other businesses out there that offer similar services. Like survival training, race car driving, etc. I can't advocate it or talk it down since I was never involved in any. I talked to some guys who took part in one (not geocaching). Some said it was great, others said it was a waste.

Colonel Mustard explained it pretty well. Considering what some corporations will pay for team building exercises etc., the price seems quite reasonable. I'm not sure if ebay is an effective way of selling it, but I suppose it is free advertising. That can't hurt.

Edited by carleenp

I've seen these types of things with paintball and all sorts of things. I've never had to go through on with any of my jobs, but then again, I try to stay well away from the whole corporate thing. Though, imagine how much fun it would be to really get back at a boss and call it "team building"? On the paintball course, either make sure you're on the opposite side, or then there's always friendly fire. :D A scuba event would be interesting. Your boss runs out of air, and you ask for a raise on your dive slate. The possibilities are endless! :D

Bah, don't you like the prestine outdoors?

In the meantime, does it really take $2,000 PLUS travel expenses for 2 people to layout a geocaching "course" in a non-Seattle park if they have all of the caches and everything, they just need to look at a topo map and find a MA rock instead of a WA rock?

We had a policy at work to do one of these Team Building events, Building towers treasure hunts, cross the ravine etc etc, The group I was in won about 90% of the events hands down. The secret to our succes was that none of us were management, we were tradesmen, storemen and secretaries etc. The moral to the story is get rid of managemment cause they just throw a spanner in the works and get paid too much for (not) doing things. The workers already know how to get the job done if you let us do it!!

We had a policy at work to do one of these Team Building events, Building towers treasure hunts, cross the ravine etc etc, The group I was in won about 90% of the events hands down. The secret to our succes was that none of us were management, we were tradesmen, storemen and secretaries etc. The moral to the story is get rid of managemment cause they just throw a spanner in the works and get paid too much for (not) doing things. The workers already know how to get the job done if you let us do it!!

RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!! Dang, I was waiting for someone to say that! Thanks, you are sooooo right! :D

That's sounds exactly like what got me geocaching in the first place except for a few things:

1) The guy in our office who set it up simply borrowed GPS units from friends and family.

2) It was done locally so we all got to learn something about where we worked and lived as well as learned something about working together.

3) We didn't waste perfectly good money paying someone else to do something our own people were willing to do their spare time.

Bah, don't you like the prestine outdoors?

In the meantime, does it really take $2,000 PLUS travel expenses for 2 people to layout a geocaching "course" in a non-Seattle park if they have all of the caches and everything, they just need to look at a topo map and find a MA rock instead of a WA rock?

That's not quite how it works. I was only there for one day (I think out of a 3 day 'event'), but here's my take on it.

The event was pretty neat, and they used the skills they learned over the previous few days to complete the "cache course".

If anyone out there needs to be told that they are ineffective leaders just shoot me an e-mail. I am a pro at telling other people how screwed up they are. Most importantly, I seem to enjoy it and will do it free of charge. You willing to listen? I'm willing to tell you why you s***. :blink:

<nods>

"Nothing makes a person feel better than pointing out the short-comings of others." – Randel from Clerks

In the meantime, does it really take $2,000 PLUS travel expenses for 2 people to layout a geocaching "course" in a non-Seattle park

That's not quite how it works. I was only there for one day (I think out of a 3 day 'event'), but here's my take on it.

Yes, I read your blog on the day's event, but it still doesn't answer why it takes an extra $2000 for them to leave WA (AND travel expenses paid separately). There is nothing they did that day in MD that need $2000 just because it was in MD instead of WA. The only difference will be scouting new spots for the caches and reserving (*maybe* renting) the gazebo/room for the meeting. Since it seems like they also rely on local cachers somewhat, it doesn't seem like they even need to do much work scouting since I'm sure local active cachers can think of a dozen places in a park to setup temp geocaches and waypoint them.

The moving fee for this thing seems like a bigger rip than the original cost (already a rip....but just as much as any other for-profit team-builder service).