Geo-hot Potato III (IIb)

Stump

Just got home from work to find this nightmare of the wrong cache. My sincere apology to North for the mistake. I had three caches to choose from, went to middle one and ruled it out, then just grabbed another waypoint and for some reason thought it was on somethingisfishy. I'm sure North thought in fact something was fishy when they didn't find it there. After all that's gone on, I appreciate the quick forgiveness that apparently has been given. Anyone that knows me will tell you that I play by the rules and I apologize for the incovenience and confusion. I hope that I would be as gracious if this was the other way around.

The Jester and I figured it was something along those lines. We could see no reason why anyone would log it in one cache and place it in another. If the caches had been far apart, it would have been an obvious foul. In this case with three caches in the same park and one of them a bison there seemed to be a problem for you. I assumed that you had all three in your GPSr and just thought you had somethingisfishy when you had Clark Park. It seemed a very likely mistake and caused no harm at all. It cost us maybe 15 minutes since we did have some trouble finding Clark Park. You might want to come back some time and find somethingisfishy.

:D:D:D

Everyone keeps saying "Let's just have fun." I agree. So I'm leaving the game.

I'm going back to what was fun, geocaching. It's simple, it's fun, it is competitive, but in a fun way (who wants to be STF?). I came into this game, and the one before, to have fun. It is no longer fun.

I'm not having fun if I have ill feelings towards other players and rulings. I can't agree with everything that has happened or been allowed to happen and I don't like having these feelings towards good people who may have gotten a little too caught up in the game.

I have met some great cacher. I look forward to meeting more great cachers on the trails.

I hope those of you who choose to stay have fun.

Hey HG and Bilbo19! Sorry to see you leave the game! I hope you merely decide to take a breather and regain your sense of fun and come back in! Maybe just take a backseat and wait till there is a need for your participation to cover bases.

Edited by TotemLake
Hey HG and Bilbo19! Sorry to see you leave the game!

FYI - Blueheron0 also left the game in the same thread. Also believe that ajetpilot and Criminal are no longer playing but haven't gotten confirmation on that.

Thought it should be said that these are good guys and the game just didn't suit them. I've cached with Blueheron and met HG and bilbo and know them to all be good guys and I hope this game doesn't affect anyone's opinion of them. In fact, I'd encourage everyone to attend the upcoming Peninsula Cache-in and at least meet Blueheron and ajetpilot. Probably Happy Gillmore as well.

FYI - Blueheron0 also left the game in the same thread. Also believe that ajetpilot and Criminal are no longer playing but haven't gotten confirmation on that.

Thought it should be said that these are good guys and the game just didn't suit them. I've cached with Blueheron and met HG and bilbo and know them to all be good guys and I hope this game doesn't affect anyone's opinion of them. In fact, I'd encourage everyone to attend the upcoming Peninsula Cache-in and at least meet Blueheron and ajetpilot. Probably Happy Gillmore as well.

I had the good fortune of meeting Bruce...ajetpilot back in August when I went on a caching spree with Donna (Wienerdog) and Pepper. We met him by his cache. Howe Farm III??? Anyway, he took pics for us and we all visited for a time. Very nice man! I've only met Criminal once too...we hiked up to Gothic Basin for his 100th Find. Had a great time!

I had a private exchange with Blueheron0 and expressed the same hope. Anyway, my calendar is open for the 21st so I might be able to make it to the event. Criminal abstained early on and it was understood ajetpilot wasn't going to join in on future games (for the time being).

I've had the pleasure of meeting up and hiking with Criminal (more like me bringing up the rear that long ago day). :blink:

As for the others; my personal hope in all of this is we can meet face to face and call all of the strife water under the bridge.

Cheers!

TL

I’m out for pretty much the same reason Ajetpilot is, I’m seeing too many friends exchange too many heated words. :blink: I guess I’m just not that competitive. My mailbox was getting too filled up, my emails to the group were not getting out, and the whole thing just started getting over the top. Unlike Bruce, I’m not watching.

My wife and I plan on attending BlueHeron’s shindig. Hope to see many of you there.

:)

Uh oh. Looks like we have another problem. :blink: Another illegal cache visit, this time by Team South.

The drop off at Farmers Park-n-cache was at night (8:40 PM) but according to a sign at the park, it is closed after dusk.

Do either of the people who dropped it off have anything to say about this?

Thank you Perrin and Faille. :-) Bingaman Pond is gorgeous. In order to stay competitive, and to keep my kids in school, the spud needed to be picked up sooner than 4 pm. I did, however, go along on the pick-up and snap some shots. Please look at Bingaman Pond cache page to see Drinksmith in all her glory! OH, and I didn't touch the bug! ;-) I did see your way cool signature item, the coin! I hope to get my hands on one next time! Peace, and thanks for the FUN. -CT

Edited by CameraThyme

Herr Fritz and I were there last night for the drop...it's a Park and Ride with a large field behind it. Although there very well could be a sign, It was dark and we saw no sign posting a closure, nor any warning of such sign on the cache page according to Travis....if we would have, we would have placed it somewhere else.

The other night, when the potato was in 'somethingisfishy', the same park where two other caches are, NomadRaven, Romulus and I went out to get the bug but stopped ourselves from retrieving it since a sign at the park, as you enter the trail, states 'dawn to dusk'; when the bug was planted at Mahler Park ?? in Enumclaw, the same applied: City of Enumclaw lists that park as one of their parks, therefore a dawn to dusk rule. Team North waited until the AM hours to retrieve that bug as well. I dunno tho, if you head out to a park to 'retrieve' or to 'plant' and the cache page doesn't say anything about posted hours, and you've travelled considerably or even just 6 miles, would it be fair to retrieve or plant? Is this just a gray area, but I'm reading it black & white? If a team forgoes retrieving the potato because of a posted park hours sign, likewise the other team should obey the park rules in placement. If there is more than one access way to a cache and the sign is circumvented - what is one to do? I put my faith in the cacher's words to an extent, as long as caching etiquette was followed with regards to using a trail, if applicable, and not just some romp through an open field as the shortest way from A to B, therefore missing a trailhead sign regarding park hours. Again, I trust in a cacher's word. If we can't take the word of other's during an entertaining game, what kind of entertainment would it be? Rhetorical.(The kind that one reads and then decides to stop playing because the fun of a silly, competitive game becomes a blog of forum with an Advil chaser.) Less Talk, More Play. CT

Edited by CameraThyme
Herr Fritz and I were there last night for the drop...it's a Park and Ride with a large field behind it.  Although there very well could be a sign, It was dark and we saw no sign posting a closure, nor any warning of such sign on the cache page according to Travis....if we would have, we would have placed it somewhere else.

Hmmm, I tried that one too with what I thought was solid supporting data last week at Dumas, didn't get too far. I seem to remember there 'may' have been a few replies with a 'somewhat' opposing opinion from the Southerners if I recall correctly :blink:

I think the illegal drop precedent and penalty would be reasonable here, as they were (much to my chagrin in one case) previously imposed by the most-patient-and-omnipotent gaviidae...

Edited by vds

It's rather unfortunate how difficult it is to find out what the legal hours for a park really are. I suppose I could have kept a clear head and checked the signage, but sadly that doesn't always seem easy to do when parks have mulptiple entrances, either. I've been kind of disappointed at the lack of consistency that the various parks departments display as far as letting their hours be known.

Amusing fact of the day: my printer was being cranky, so I wrote down all of the info to do Clark's CD Cache... EXCEPT THE COORDINATES! :ph34r: Tee hee. I called RomulusNR at work and got the info from him.

Boy, good thing I'm sitting it out for a couple of days. :ph34r: I might end up placing the cache in Kittitas county or something!

Well, I'd hoped this would sort itself out but knew that was just a pipe dream. :ph34r:

The main difference between this one and the Dumas one was that the cache page on the latter stated clearly that the park was only open certain hours. I'm not claiming that the intentions were different in either case but the hours were easily knowable for Dumas.

Fortunately or not, it has become a geocaching tradition to cache at night even in parks. I will even admit having done this on occasion myself. Especially when you park outside the park as seems to be the case here.

Because of this I am going to rule it a valid drop off and give Team South the points. This was a close call and I'm not overly excited about making it but it's what I'm deciding.

IMPORTANT NOTE: From now on it will be assumed that all city/county/state/misc. parks are closed from dawn to dusk. If you attempt a drop off or pick up at night be aware that it may be declared illegal and points taken away.

IMPORTANT NOTE: From now on it will be assumed that all city/county/state/misc. parks are closed from dawn to dusk. If you attempt a drop off or pick up at night be aware that it may be declared illegal and points taken away.

Thank you for taking the time to consider this carefully.

One quick question about this portion of your ruling. Does this include Camp Long or any other park that has an all day closure? I don't want to be picky, but one might assume that when you said "all" you meant all even if the park is posted otherwise. I just have the feeling that you really didn't mean all parks. Just as an aside there are at least three ways into Camp Long that do not involve unlocking the main gate.

Sorry, you're right I need to expand my note. If you have information that says it's open at night then a pick up or drop off is fine at night. But if you do not have any information saying it IS open the assumption should be that it is closed.

Herr Fritz's drop is a good example. They did not have any information that it was open so they should assume it's closed.

This will solve the "I didn't know" or "I didn't see a sign" problem in the future.

Since we have information on Camp Long and Dumas bay those hours are what we go by. So Dumas would still be legal if done earlier in the night (before 9 PM).

The assumption for parks at night during this game should be that it's closed unless you have evidence that it's open. The opposite of what we usually do. :rolleyes:

I guess I need to try this again. :lol:

I wasn't making a new rule just giving a warning. Rules are still the same follow the rules, etc. The warning was just trying to get away from the "i didn't know" or "i didn't see the sign" pleas.

Caching? Great... seems to be fine all the time (I did it for #200 at night :rolleyes: ). The Interurban I don't know about. Whatever the rules are for that are the rules we'll go by.

IOW, before you go out at night make sure the cache spot is in an area legally accessible at that time. If you're not sure and it's in a park assume it's closed. If you go into a park at night not knowing for sure the park is open assume there's a good chance it's closed and your team will get penalized.

Oops! While hoping the latest controversy would simply go away I neglected my score updating duties. Web page is updated. Of course, without a blight time between now and then the score differential is pretty easy to figure out. The Kingons are still ahead by 10 points: 85-75. Next blight time is some time this month. ;)

And I have a longer and longer list of caches I haven't visited up in King and Pierce county.

Maybe Travis should schedule a Hot Potato cache machine. :P Just go to all the caches the potato visitied. In a different order of course.

I think it's time for a new ruling. I'm going to officially call that bribes are perfectly acceptable and are in fact an important part of the game. :lol: And Team North is way ahead in this part of the game.

3cc326c2-a016-4a0f-97d2-9f3a754f8f60.jpg

Score page is updated for the weekend and North is still ahead by 10. GEM's don't you sleep? I know kids sleep in school, is it also true of principals? :huh:

NOTE FOR THE HUMOR-CHALLENGED: The above was just a joke. Bribes will have no affect on the game.

BTW - Black Acorn's caches have been used 4 times in this game alone! We still had 12 more to hit when he archived them all!

This is an informational post....TeamSouth retrieved the TB from "Pay Your Respects" at 1820 hours. It has been dropped in King County, BUT there has been a server problem on Geocaching.com that is blocking efforts to log the p/u or drop. I will email the ref as to this issue for a ruling. If anyone can post a note to "Pay Your Respects" cache, let me know. Thanks, GeoDiver for TeamSouth

NO...it's a secret :D Just kidding. The ref agrees that it should be posted here and we carry on. I will "officially" log it when the server is fixed.

It was retrieved from "Pay Your Respects" at 1810 hours.

Dropped in "Poverty Bay Foreign Exchange" cache GCC9BF, at 1930 hours.

There is a small park next to the cache site. Park is closed from dusk to dawn according to the sign, dusk to 8am according to the Parks website. The cache, however is not in the park. I bushwacked from the road to avoid entering the park. Recommendation: WAIT 'TIL MORNING.... :blink:

GeoDiver

TeamSouth

"Bushwacking from the road is not the best way to go...I know..." as well as the comment posted in this thread regarding the same leads one to believe the cacher is circumventing the park and it's hours to place the spud. The trails leading to Poverty Bay Foreign Coin Exchange are in fact part of Wooten Park, per park management and common sense. If one is 'bushwacking' to get to a cache, they also aren't following 'use the trail' etiquette. My "two frames" worth ... since I don't have any cents about me. -CT

*sigh* I was hoping not to have to address this issue again. I really don't want to have to ban all night time placements and pickups.

The night time placement at Wooten Park (Poverty Bay) is a real stretch of legality. The parks department considers that area part of the park. I found a zoning map (Zoning Map) that says otherwise. TopoZone considers it part of Wooten Park. And gc.com says it's outside the park, but they also have the undisputed part of the park in the wrong place.

After much discussion with Team North I went to the cache that Team North was penalized for on an after hours placement. According to the gc.com map it is also not park of a park so gc.com maps are no defense for this.

Whether it is in a park or not may be in doubt but I don't think whether GeoDiver had permission to bushwhack is. If it's not in the park then it's on Water District forest land. And unless he just hasn't told us about it he doesn't have permission to bushwhack on their land. And it's unlikely that they permit 24/7 access. As far as the parks department is concerned they don't.

Because of all this I'm going to have to declare it an invalid dropoff and not give Team South the points for it. If you have a real problem with this decision then consider the Farmer's Park-n-cache (which is undisputed to be on park land) to be the illegal one.

:huh:

Well i was told to announce my choice to be on team south for this potato sack race,

I have sent gaviidae a request and travisl

do i need to let anyone else know that i would like to join the piercing headaches.

:unsure: .

Im Pete G

aka Dblgyprs

or Team Gyprs Creepers

My unavailable hours too cache area usually 6:00A to 4:30p mon through friday cuz im at work,

Also friday im usually coaching My daughters basketball team until 6:30p

and coaching games on saturday no later then 2:30 p othe then that you can ask me to travel to the far edges of pierce county to pick up the potato and make it a hop skip and jump across the county line, second team member of Gyprs creepers

goes to Commercial divers school in upper king county and he can drop the tater off up yonder, if it is legal to do so. B) anywhoo

thanks for letting me become a team member. Sorry to see those others drop like burger king french fries tho, hope to meet you all someday. off to the hills matey.

Asta for now.

thx a $$$,$$$,$$$.$$

Dblgyprs

Blight Time!!

cc613501-b8e0-4444-bf88-5b5db038794f.jpg

So much for beginners luck. Looks like the new guy had the potato in his hands when the blight occurred. Hope he wasn't storing it in his house. The stench of potato blight won't come out of the curtains. Also, because of it taking more than 24 hours to move it out of Deep in the Wild Wood North gets another point.

With vds' last placement in Pierce county Team North now has a 31 point lead. 20 from blights, 6 from penalties, and 5 just because they had the potato last.

There are still 2 blights left...

Edited by gaviidae