Ftf For First Cache To Place

TruckerGeorge

:D Some cachers have got to be the first ones to the cache. It does not matter what's in the cache or if there is a FTF prize. They have to be first.

<_< Kind of like some drivers on the highway. They cannot stand to be behind you, even though your going 70 mph, so they rip on by and take the same off ramp your going to take. Then you pull up beside them at the first stoplight. WOW that saved them 10 seconds.

Unless you cache is located around Stirling, Ontario Canada whatever you put in should be fine. Some people do put out upscaled FTF prizes but that is just their choice. Now if your cache is around here I will require you to put in large upscaled FTF as well as a 24 hour advanced notice before you submit it for everyone else. <_<

Edit for sp(Canada)

If you are on a limited budget, consider placing something that's hand made by you, and which others might find valuable or interesting. For example, if your other hobbies include woodcarving, something that you whittled in your spare time would be snapped up and appreciated.... more so than a $5 or $10 item from a store

As Keystone said I would prefer something personal or handmade over something bought.

Edited by Cachengrab

If you are on a limited budget, consider placing something that's hand made by you, and which others might find valuable or interesting. For example, if your other hobbies include woodcarving, something that you whittled in your spare time would be snapped up and appreciated.... more so than a $5 or $10 item from a store.

<_< Why is eveyone obsessed with FTF prizes. Since when has geocaching been about FTF or what's in the cache? Yes, it cool seeing all the goodies inside the box, but caching is about having fun and visiting a place you might not have ever visted for any other reason then to find the cache.

:D IF you want to put a FTF prize in a cache, then have at it. Personally, I'm also on a single family income, and I have never placed a FTF prize, nor do I see a need for this. It's the thrill of the hunt that should inspire a person to be the FTF. Not the contents.

<_< Why is eveyone obsessed with FTF prizes. Since when has geocaching been about FTF or what's in the cache?

I'm not.

"Everyone" is a pretty general statement. Some are interested in FTF whatever the cost. Some are interester in # found count and statistics. I think the game has something for everyone. Think of it as a buffet, take the things you like and leave the steamed califlower alone. :D

I also add my vote for a personel item. Unless you hit Megabucks while you are in town. Then I will sign up to watch your vacation cache, and expect to see a very nice FTF. Of course I will need the coordinates in advance of approval to make sure the location is ok. :D

How about a FTF Certificate (suitable for framing) with the cache name and coords on it?

I plan to add one of those (along with a nice FTF prize) to the cache I'm working on.

That is a great idea, do you mind if someone else uses it.

that is what I like about the forums. now it hits me

why not put a FTF certificate inside. I LOVE IT <_<

have several good programs to make em up with. so it will be a more or less hand made item and still at a low cost...

thanks....

Trucker

How about a FTF Certificate (suitable for framing) with the cache name and coords on it?

The Only thing you have to purchase is the certificate and possibly lamination. Depending on how fancy you wish to make them, you could even add a bronze emblem to the certificates corner. Then all you need is MS Publisher,Paintshop, or some graphic program to print them. If you did not own the programs, probably print them out at Kinko's.

:D For Micro's you could even make a MINI first time finders certificate.

:D Very interresting thought but would it worth the effort?

Not that I have enough evidence to make this statistically significant, but putting a Travel Bug in your new cache seems to speed up how quick people go out and look for it. Even without anything special, I haven't placed one that hasn't been sought out within two days. I even got an email from a guy who told me he was going to go look for my new one today, before he even found it!

On edit: One more thing. It seems like the ones I've put way out in the slog are sought out, if anything, even quicker than the easier ones. I think there is a certain element that says, "All right! A Bushwhacking One! I'm on it!"

Edited by Balboagirl

This is the start of four of my FTF prizes. I added some text using a gold paint marker (cache name, "First Finder" and date placed - my name is on the back) and sealed the final result. The first-finder of the only one I've placed so far was pretty happy with it - "took handpainted first to find rock which I shall cherish..."

159155_800.jpg

I recently found some small wodden picture frames at a dollar store that I'll eventually make into FTF "awards." I plan to take a picture that is meaningful for the cache, add some appropriate text, then print and place in the frame.

I'm just trying to think of things that I'd be willing to display on my desk. :D

If you are on a limited budget, consider placing something that's hand made by you, and which others might find valuable or interesting. For example, if your other hobbies include woodcarving, something that you whittled in your spare time would be snapped up and appreciated.... more so than a $5 or $10 item from a store.

I agree whole heartedly with KA. Those types of items would be more valued by me. It tells something of the thought that went into your offfering a prize at all. It shows consideration for your fellow cachers. Other items might be bead work, bookmarks, leather crafts, metal crafts.....anything that is from your heart really contributes to the experience. :D

I should have mentioned earlier, that the first finder prize (if any) doesn't have to be left in the cache. You could instead leave a postcard or instructions on how to redeem. This would allow you to create a personalized certificate with the cachers name on it. (they could e-mail you and then you could mail the prize).

This method would be useful if you wanted to give a Custom El Diablo Hiking Staff as a prize (and only pay half-price)!

I am consistently surprised by what I want to take from a cache, I almost never take anything, just leave stuff, but every now and then some strange item jumps out and says take me, (Not a gerbil, gerbils can't talk).

I like to put FTF prizes in a cache, my last three had these: un-activated Travel Bug, Green Man geo coin I got on a FTF, a (Where's George) $2 bill I got on a FTF. Another cache I hid had a sterling silver guitar pin From the Hard Rock in Copenhagen for a FTF prize, that I had sitting around collecting dust, decided it was time for somebody else's dust to collect on it.

Edited by martmann

I got a reflector/red strobe light with a "First finder" sticker on it from my only FTF. I keep it with my GPSr as a safety beacon in case I'm dumb enough to go out in the dark, get lost, or wander into heavy traffic at night.

I'll probably wear it to an event because it'll set me apart as the uber-nerd of geocaching.

Okay, that last line was a lie.