City Select V5?

Us 5 Camp

I noticed the current version of City Select is v5. I currently own v4.xx and am trying to determine what's new in the updated version???? Are the maps newer, if so, by how much? Are there other differences ??? smaller map chunks?, ???

Anybody with knowledge in this area, I would greatly appreciate a reply comparing the differences/value of the upgrade.

Also, cost, considering my City Select is likely about a year old, more or less.

I purchased a Garmin 196 last year which came with City Select 1.xx. In November I got the email below from Garmin regarding the update. I have not purchased it, so can't give specific comments on changes, but hopefully their email will help a bit.

Email from Garmin:

Garmin is pleased to announce an update to MapSourceTM North America City Select v5. The North America City Select CD ROM will contain updated map data for the United States (including Alaska and Hawaii) and Canada. In addition to updating many areas within the United States, detailed coverage for five Canadian cities has been added. City Select contains detailed residential street level detail for the United States, and includes residential and business addresses in metropolitan and rural areas.

North America City Select v5 is compatible with the Garmin GPS V, NavTalk GSM phone, iQue 3600 and GPSMAP 196.

UPDATE POLICY:

Our records indicate that you have unlocked a previous version of North America City Select prior to September 17, 2003. Therefore, you are entitled to a preferred-rate update of $75.00, which will gain you full access to all the detail on this updated CD-ROM.

Please visit the link below for more update details, and to complete the form to have the updated North America City Select v5 CD-ROM shipped to you at no charge. Please be advised that a previous installation of North America City Select must be installed on your computer for this updated CD-ROM to install.

Visit our website now to order your update CD. The update CD will be shipped to you in a few weeks.

http://www.garmin.com/unlock/

Features of MapSource North America City Select v5 include:

* Updated full-coverage map detail--as provided by our data supplier, Navigation Technologies for freeways, interstates, national and state highways, and local, county, and residential roads for metropolitan and rural areas throughout the contiguous United States.

* Updated coverage for Canada. The following cities have been added: Edmonton, AB; Kelowna, BC; London, ON; Quebec, AC; and Stratford, ON.

* Coverage for Alaska and Hawaii provided by using supplemental unverified government sources. This provides full coverage for all 50 states in City Select!

* Updated Points-of-Interest detail.

If you have questions regarding this product, please feel free to visit our main MapSource Unlock page (http://www.garmin.com/unlock/). From there, you will be able to access FAQs that answer many questions regarding this update, including pricing information. If you have additional questions, you can reach us at cartography@garmin.com.

Best Regards,

Garmin Cartography

cartography@garmin.com

Garmin International

1200 E. 151st Street

Olathe, KS 66062

I received my Garmin GPS V with City Select v4.01 as a Christmas present from my wife, I went online and registered the unit with Garmin, and also receiver an e-mail from them saying I was eligible for a free update to City Select v5.0, I answered the e-mail, and filled out the online form and received it in about a week, with a free unlock.

I noticed the current version of City Select is v5. I currently own v4.xx and am trying to determine what's new in the updated version???? Are the maps newer, if so, by how much? Are there other differences ??? smaller map chunks?, ???

Anybody with knowledge in this area, I would greatly appreciate a reply comparing the differences/value of the upgrade.

Also, cost, considering my City Select is likely about a year old, more or less.

Bumping.... still looking for more info...

I have City Select v4.xx

How much newer is the map and POI data in City Select v5?

Are there other features worth the $75 upgrade?

Will the 60c/cs and 76c/cs route on CS v4.xx?

How much newer is the map and POI data in City Select v5?

Will the 60c/cs and 76c/cs route on CS v4.xx?

Can't say for sure since I don't have City Select v5 yet (...I have it coming in any day now). I'm assuming that MetroGuide USA v5 and City Select v5 have the same map/POI data with the difference being that MetroGuide won't auto-route. I do however have MetroGuide v5 and the map/POI data has indeed been updated from City Select v4.01 (which I also have). What has been updated varies greatly from area to area...

My 60C auto-routes just fine using City Select 4.01. I simply used my extra unlock code from my GPS V to unlock City Select 4.01 for my 60C.