60c - First Impressions

aka Monkey

Thanks for the review. but one question, "Windows 98"? Didnt that happen 6 years ago? Mac has a great product but because of the software Limitations, give me Windows. Its like buying a foreign car when it comes to parts( a Mac). Try Windows XP and you will notice a difference of improvement. Good luck on the 60C, I envy you now, but I will have a 60CS as soon as there offered.

Thanks for the review. but one question, "Windows 98"? Didnt that happen 6 years ago? Mac has a great product but because of the software Limitations, give me Windows. Its like buying a foreign car when it comes to parts( a Mac). Try Windows XP and you will notice a difference of improvement.

The machine that I was using (a PC) had Windows 98 on it. As for Windows XP, the difference would be several hundred dollars in cost, and a functionally slower machine. Although it may have had fewer install problems (with Windows, who knows)?

Does anyone know if the external power connector on the 60c is the same as the garmin V, III+, III? Just FYI, garmin told me they would be shipping the 60CS at the end up Jan, but who knows, they keep changing their mind it seems. I'll probably be ordering a 60CS and selling my V, anyone interested in a nice V?

[quote

The machine that I was using (a PC) had Windows 98 on it. As for Windows XP, the difference would be several hundred dollars in cost, and a functionally slower machine. Although it may have had fewer install problems (with Windows, who knows)?

I might tend to disagree 98 being faster than XP. We just took a puter with a Pentium 700 and took 98 off of it and put XP Pro on it. The XP machine is faster. Now I know the Windows 2000 or ME did slow a computer down by a lot but my experience with XP is different. Now the make up of your computer could change this but you may want to give it a try. Ask someone out there if they have a copy you could put on and try it. You can do a 30 day free trial before you have to register it.

It would be nice to know if anyone else here has any comments on 98 versus XP?

murph

Well, from my experience with working in the computer field, I have noticed 98 is faster than XP, only because XP takes up so much more memory with all the services it runs, but it results in a more stable OS. 98 also has a much less tasking GUI (graphical user interface). Just my personal opinion of course.

Does anyone know if the external power connector on the 60c is the same as the garmin V, III+, III? Just FYI, garmin told me they would be shipping the 60CS at the end up Jan, but who knows, they keep changing their mind it seems. I'll probably be ordering a 60CS and selling my V, anyone interested in a nice V?

Based on this page, I would say so. The 60 uses the same data cable as the V. :o

I want one!

Me too. The biggest problem with this thread is this:

It's not the excellent review. It's not the wonderful job that you have done providing the review. It's not all the possitive feedback that I have seen. It's not that this new GPS unit is a garmin. They all are fantastic and well received.

It is the fact that if I even hint (let alone mention) the word "upgrade" to my wife, I lose a toe (or some other appendage that shouldn't be mentioned here ). :o

Well, I guess I stay in dream land until I can figure out how to "upgrade" without losing any important parts ;).

I want one!

Me too. The biggest problem with this thread is this:

It's not the excellent review. It's not the wonderful job that you have done providing the review. It's not all the possitive feedback that I have seen. It's not that this new GPS unit is a garmin. They all are fantastic and well received.

It is the fact that if I even hint (let alone mention) the word "upgrade" to my wife, I lose a toe (or some other appendage that shouldn't be mentioned here ). :o

Well, I guess I stay in dream land until I can figure out how to "upgrade" without losing any important parts ;).

Don't feel bad, I have a V and I'm not interested in "upgrading" in the least.

Well, unless they release a Garmin VIcs that has color, expandable memory, and fits in all my mounts.

Upgrade your wife to a dog or cat. Then you won't have these problems. :D

Unfortunately, you'll have a host of other problems. :o

Well,

I already have two dogs, a cat, two lizards, a snake, fish, some ferrets and 4 kids.

I even implied to "upgrading" wife, but that wasn't too well received either. ;)

OK...  now that some of you are using the 60C...  Anybody use it with National Geographic TOPO yet?

Mike.

Hey DW -

Have the new TOPO (I use a Mac)... just waiting for the GPSr - should be here tomorow!

What, exactly, do you want to know?

-=-

m

Hmmmm... prepare for disappointment - I think.

The 60C comes with a USB cable. Although the TOPO support folks tell me that TOPO works with USB, I can't find it. Let me know if you get TOPO to talk to your new 60C.

If not, E-mail them and rattle their cage. The more E-mails they recieve, the more they will realize it isn't only one or two people.

Thanks.

I even implied to "upgrading" wife, but that wasn't too well received either. :o

My 60C came today, Woot! I've never had a GPSr work in the house so well before. I love the customizabel data fields and page ordering. The map is a tad weird with whatever color scheme I have on (diamond I think), it's got a black backing.

Looks like I'll have to screw around with the GPX file of cache listings to get the treasure box happening. However I'm doing it now (GPX to GPS-Bable to Mapsource 5.4), something seems to get lost in translation, I lose the treasure icons and the GPSr does not recognize them as geocaches. Perhaps I'll have to use the waypoint manager that came wit hit .

Re: upgrades. Break your old GPS. What will she say then? People hardly ever notice the timing of these things, it happens in politics all the time<grin>. Press the click stick and hold it under the facette for a few hours.

Edited by Zartimus
Looks like I'll have to screw around with the GPX file of cache listings to get the treasure box happening. However I'm doing it now (GPX to GPS-Bable to Mapsource 5.4), something seems to get lost in translation, I lose the treasure icons and the GPSr does not recognize them as geocaches. Perhaps I'll have to use the waypoint manager that came wit hit .

I had the same problem that you mentioned (geocaching icons not recognized). If you use GPSBabel to save as a Garmin PCX5 file and then import into MapSource the icons come through (but there are other restrictions with PCX5, like 6 character waypoint names).

I am corresponding with Robert Lipe on this to see if there is a solution...

I had the same problem that you mentioned (geocaching icons not recognized).  If you use GPSBabel to save as a Garmin PCX5 file and then import into MapSource the icons come through (but there are other restrictions with PCX5, like 6 character waypoint names).

I am corresponding with Robert Lipe on this to see if there is a solution...

Thanks for the tip I'll give that a shot. 6 char waypint names will not cut it though<grin>..

Maybe I can parse the GPX file (pain). I'm not actually sure where the symbols get added, if it is in Babel then I guess we're SOL untril it gets an update. Good to hear you are on the case.

It's funny, at one time I seem to recall getting the treasure icon when getting a GPX into GPSBABEL, and other times, one of three symbols in no particular order.

I'll play around with it today a tad and see what's possible, and also give GSAK a whirl (thanks for the link in the other post).

Edited by Zartimus

GSAK is pretty cool! I took the Beta for a spin and it had a nice feature in the export screen (looks like the author also corosponed with Robert Lipe) for Mapsource maops where yo can tag each geocache waypoint entry with a symbol based on:

Found

Unfound

Archived

Placed

But it appears not to work just yet. The default symbols that first appear work (they are just the first 4 symbols alphabetical order, airport, amuesment park, ball park, bank) but when changed all the symbols make it into Mapsource as a "circle with an X".

Still, a promising utility to be sure!

Maybe we should start a new thread for this geocaching feature (I'll go do that)