Keeping Your Cache Dry

Albino Parrot

I'm preparing my first cache and am seeking advice on keeping the contents dry. I've already added a gasket to a 4 quart container with a screw type lid. Would adding moisture absorbing silica gel be a good idea, or just overkill? I will be doing some more geocaching before I hide this one, so I'm not in any real rush.

Thanks, Albino Parrot

I have found (like a lot of other cachers) damp / soggy log-books, I carry a supply of Baggies (Zip-Lock). and even if the log-book is dry I will but it in a baggie, and return it to the cache. The dry-it stuff, would be ok for condensate etc., and it takes little room. A good seal on the container really helps :huh:

you dont really have much of a chance in keeping things dry. dampness will find its way into even the best sealed container. concentrate on keeping out water and then use the desicant to combat the humidy issues. caching in damp weather means that the air in the cache is damp due to opening and closing, when it warms it essentially rains in the cache container.

i know that most area dont have the climate that we have but id be real interested in seeing the method used to keep a cahce dry in our climate.

In warm weather, opening a cache lets in warm humid air. (Except Arizona and a few place, I'll bet.)

Cold weather causes the humidity to condense on the inside walls of the cache causing dampness which seems to penetrate baggies at times.

Silica gel packs would help, but you have to dry them in your stove from time to time.

And you have to keep people from taking them as trade items.

A little off topic I know - but where do you get the silica gel packs (other than keeping the ones that have come with something you've bought)? I've read that if you store stuff in your attic in plastic boxes, that you should throw some of the silica packs in the box to help with condensation problems. I am regretting throwing those things away over the years! So does anyone know where to buy some?

I have had pretty good luck with going to a shoe store and asking for them. Places like Payless shoes don't really care and since it is usually some 16 year old behind the counter, they will just give them to you. The most I have gotten were around 20. I am not sure where to "buy" them. I hope that helps!

Erin

In the catagory of for what it's worth.

Dessicants do not last forever, they take up water until they are saturated. In this context saturated dosen't mean dripping with water, the packets may appear dry. They just won't absorb any more water. You can re-use them by drying for a long time at a low temperature. Say 10 or 12 hours at the lowest setting.

Wow! I posted this question before heading to work the evening shift and come home to some valuable pointers. You guys and/or gals are pretty cool. I still want to check out some other caches before I place one, but I'm pretty sure I'll just try the desiccant in the log book baggy and check the cache every so often to see if moisture problems warrant purchasing some of the larger packets.

By the way, as to where to purchase desiccant, I don't know the best place, but saw some interesting auctions on ebay.

Edited by Albino Parrot
<_<  :D  I think I just found my new signature item!    :D  :D

Someone is already placing signature silica gel bags with their name/logo printed on it.

But, we need more folks doing this. I need to find some, too.

It seems all the caches around here are damp right now.

I'm not sure if this is who you are referring to, but Centaur from the Chicago area has done these. One time, I had time only to do one cache and I chose one he'd been to recently so that I could pick up one of his packs for a cache I was setting up. Ammo box and one of thoise along with anything paper in goog quality Zip bags seems to work very well for me. Now if I could only keep my little bitty micro dry!

George

Be aware that some dehumidifying packets have a limited "dry-n-reuse" lifetime. I have an Ewa underwater camera bag that I use with their CD5 "Moisture Munchers". Very effective but can only be "refreshed" about 5 times.

Also, you can't tell if the small dessicant bags you typically find in shoeboxes have engorged themselves to the max with water. CD5 and others change color once saturated.

Here's a good price on an alternative. They can be reused an umlimited number of times:

http://www.dehumidify.com/ProdDisc.html

You can order them through the Bass Pro Shops catalog, 2oz for $5.99:

http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catal...t=SearchResults

Or any of these retail shops:

http://www.dehumidify.com/retail.html

Edited by Link & Zelda