Legend Or Sportrack Map

My husband and I are new to the sport and don't know a thing about gps units. We've narrowed our decission on what to buy down to the Legend and Sportrack Map. We've read through the manual of the Legend and it is really confusing. Will it get easier when we actually use the thing? Which would be easier to use? :huh:

I decided to go with the SporTrack series over the Legend. I am very happy with the “user friendly” features, and even as a newbie to the world of GPS and geocaching was able to successfully use it and found 2 caches the same day it arrived. But I have since learned about a design flaw, and the stress cracks that result from it. My GPSr is less than 30 days old, and already has the cracks.

The Meridian series seem to have the same features except for your extra memory for downloads is a SD card. When I made my first decision to go with the SporTrack series over the Meridian, I did not see the advantage of purchasing SD cards for downloads versus the built in memory of the other units. From reading posts in this forum, it sounds like the ability to use the SD cards with a card reader makes a BIG difference in the download times :D . You also have the flexibility to download multiple regions on different cards, and the choice of 16MB, 32MB, and 64MB cards. I have read one post that tells you how to use a 128MB card also.

Using SD cards is a personal choice, depending on what you think you will be using the unit for in the future. I hate out growing a new toy in less than a year. :D

I hope this post does not “send you back to the drawing board” :huh:

I have used both the garmin and the magellan GPSr's and I have to say that the Legend has a much faster learning curve. Both are really good units but the legend seems to be more user friendly. Either one will serve you well. By the way I upgraded to a new GPS and went with the Vista over the Magellan.

Just my $0.02 worth

Logger

The salesman where I bought mine said the Legend was easier to learn and said the mapping software was better. It also had 2 meg more memory than the comparable Magellon.

If you can, spend some time with both, make your decision on whichever you feel best with and you won't go wrong.

For what it's worth, I got the Legend, and am very pleased with it.

The Legend will be easier to use.  The Magellans for whatever reason have a more convoluted menu system.

I started with a SporTrak but am now using a Legend (I like to learn them all!) I think the SporTrak is very easy to use and learn, but so is the Legend. I don't know that either is really 'easier', it's just a matter of what you pick up and learn first. YMMV however. :D

BTW, the size of the Legend compared to the SporTrak rocks, though I'm not getting TOO used to it since it will be shelved for a 60CS next month. <_<

Edited by mrkablooey