Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Reviewer Niatpac Nagrom

Language Policy In Nordic And Baltic Countries For

Every now and then a question about the languages used in this forum rises up. Here's some basic guidelines for all of you:

Preferred languages: ALL genuine languages spoken in the region i.e. Danish, Estonian, Finnish, Gipsy (language), Inuit (eskimo language), Icelandic, Lappish, Latvian, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Swedish and Vepsä. Did I forgot some ? :huh:

Add a language-prefix in front of your subject, like SWE: or NOR: or EST: or LAT: or LIT or LAP: or DAN: or FIN etc. If you use English, do NOT add prefix.

Please write in English, if you think your topic has international interest.

And when you start a topic in your local language, please add a short résumé in english too, so foreign geocachers know, what your topic handles.

- Tahu Nuva -

RUS ? (Cyrillic font???)

Of course, I'm truly sorry, I forgot this linguistic minority. So Russian is naturally now also preferred language in this forum.

What about Gôtebôrgska? The dialect in Sweden where everybody speaking it sounds like really nice guys? :huh:

What about Gôtebôrgska? The dialect in Sweden where everybody speaking it sounds like really nice guys? :huh:

And Skeune too! (Skåne)

Hi saw new nice downloadble .pdf procure in US Forum (New From Geocacher-u) PDF is here, only pb is that it is in English only. Have anybody any plans to xlate it to Finnish ?? It would be quite nice to be installed into every (new) cache and to better explain for landlords etc. Maybe CYBret might be nice and give the source for someone for xlation. ?

What about Gôtebôrgska? The dialect in Sweden where everybody speaking it sounds like really nice guys? :P

And Skeune too! (Skåne)

What about the main dialect Stockholmska, and Norrlândska??? :)

99 % of the posts in the forum is Finnish now or they dtart out in English and ends up in finnish

Pls use FIN in front of posts

I am in a Nordic country and I understand both Sweedes and Danes. But Balticum, Finnish: ie Ugric languages is far from the nordic languages. I am happy with all my neigbhours, but would it be possible to have a pure Norwegian speaking thread as we are problably close to a thousand geocachers as of now.

Please. :lol:

I am in a Nordic country and I understand both Sweedes and Danes. But Balticum, Finnish: ie Ugric languages is far from the nordic languages. I am happy with all my neigbhours, but would it be possible to have a pure Norwegian speaking thread as we are problably close to a thousand geocachers as of now.

Please. :huh:

Those who decide about these matters, probably don't read Nordic and Baltic forum.

I think you should make your request in this forum:

Geocaching.com Web Site.

Anneli

p.s. why does it bother you, if different languages are used in the same forum? You can always skip those you dont't want to read...

Balticum, Finnish: ie Ugric languages is far from the nordic languages.

I have to say that this was a strange comment. Ugric languages are the other branch of the Finno-Ugric language family and include Hungarian, not Finnish. On the other hand, Finnish is as much Nordic as the Scandinavian languages are, even though they are not related with each other.

Is there any recommendation on the language of cache descriptions and logs? Swedes have always used their own language to make it difficult for others :) and during the past years also most logs in Finland have changed from English to Finnish (a revenge? :unsure:). But when searching for caches in a foreign country, it is not so nice to notice that they are in the local language. Have we intentionally given up the international nature of this bobby?

Edited by Mesu

Is there any recommendation on the language of cache descriptions and logs? Swedes have always used their own language to make it difficult for others :D and during the past years also most logs in Finland have changed from English to Finnish (a revenge? :lol:). But when searching for caches in a foreign country, it is not so nice to notice that they are in the local language. Have we intentionally given up the international nature of this bobby?

Cache descriptions should at least be in english, in parallell one may use ones native language. Also in logs, I feel I miss a lot of interesting information if it is only written in a native language I cannot understand.

So how can we get rid of this behaviour to write logs and cache descriptions only in a local language? May be by logging in your own language only when wisiting another country? Back home I always log in english, and my cache descriptions are both in english and norwegian.

I think it is really a pity if the international nature of this hobby is to be given up. So please: let us turn this behaviour of using the local language, to a language that most of us can understand.

It would be nice to see a return to the International feel of this game.

As it is now it does mean that unless there is someone to help foriegners with the language they are unable to take part, and miss out on the game.

Is it really so hard when posting a cache to find someone to do the translation description if they are unable to do it themselves.

I think that removing this from being a sticky does not help either, imho this should be a must read topic, if we really want to get back to the international side, and not just here on the Finnish forum, but on all foriegn forums here.

Perhaps an idea of a Translation service might help, you know volenteers like you have with the activation of a cache, and also a note on the page when making the cache descirption, so everyone is aware when making the cache that "this is an international game, please write description and tips in your mother langauge and english"

Just some ideas, but why not put ideas forward.

As someone else said lets not lose the international aspect of this game/treasure hunt.

:)

Happy Caching

The original post of this thread is about language policy used in this section at the time when it was called Nordic and Baltic countries and included many countries and native languages at the same.

Since the old N&B section was stongly dominated by Finns Nordic and Baltic countries were divided into two new sections: "Finnish" and "Scandinavia and Baltic". I guess the main point in having Finnish section in Groundspeak forum is/was that here people can use Finnish without no one whinig about it.

This thread isn't pinned anymore because the changes in sections.

How ever, it's ok to write in English here too but Finnish works as well.

The language policy in cache descriptions and logs is one of the tasks that often comes up in forums. For example here and here. Only in Finnish this time. I think nobody has found the absolute truth here so let the debate continue.

-avekki

Edited by jemann + avec

Nobody is saying do not write in your own language, indeed the finns have there own forum where they only write in finnish, this being geocache.fi

Things written on here about caching and caches in finland or about caching will most probably have international interest (I mention Finland only because I know about this country and live here, so it affects me, I am aware many other countries are only writing in their own language).

It does frustrate me that I have to wait for my finnish speaking partner to translate things for me, even more so when it comes to cache descriptions, and as for multi-caches and puzzle caches, these days I stand little chance of working them out without her around, thus leaving me with just Trad caches.

So please do not get me wrong, I am not saying do not write in finnish, I am asking for people to go back to making a friendly notice if the subject is of international interest, and for cache descriptions to also be in english even if it is just a much shorter version.

I like finland very much and respect her peoples.

The countryside is beautiful and makes for nice locations for caching.

Long live the cache, and sauna :)