Cache Idea... Need Some Input

TruckerGeorge

am planning on setting up some caches on my own property. but will need to have a locked gate to help keep the local high school kids out on weekends.

if I start out with the first cache as the key to the gate to let people on the property will this be appoved??? as once you on the property you can lock the gate and park and then find the other caches I am planning on hiding..

any ideas or thoughts????

thanks

truckergeorge

I wouldn't use a key lock...gotta trust people to return the key, and if a second cacher shows up while the first is already in, there's no key for them. A combination lock would solve both these problems.

Now, as far as actually doing it.....well searh for some of the threads about caches in people's yard, and read those threads, before you go too far with your idea.

thanks for the fast reply on that... the area on my property is wooded and has deer and wild turkey on it, and one can spot them if quiet enough when walking about. I like the combo lock idea and will use that... also the area on my property is when one of the first black churches was started in the area in the pre dust bowl days of oklahoma. and is of a minor historical value. the old church is there in ruins..

thanks for the fast reply on that... the area on my property is wooded and has deer and wild turkey on it, and one can spot them if quiet enough when walking about. I like the combo lock idea and will use that... also the area on my property is when one of the first black churches was started in the area in the pre dust bowl days of oklahoma. and is of a minor historical value. the old church is there in ruins..

That sounds pretty cool! Once I get back on my feet, I'd like to come down and check it out! :huh:

:huh: A cache I hid last year uses a combo lock with 4 tumblers. In order to unlock it, cachers have to find 4 micro's located around town. On each micro is a number and a fun twist is not to give the order of the combination. Let the cacher fiqure it out. Kind of like a mastermind game, but it has prooven to be a lot of fun for cachers in my area.
<_< A cache I hid last year uses a combo lock with 4 tumblers. In order to unlock it, cachers have to find 4 micro's located around town. On each micro is a number and a fun twist is not to give the order of the combination. Let the cacher fiqure it out. Kind of like a mastermind game, but it has prooven to be a lot of fun for cachers in my area.

now that sounds like a great idea for the combination.. but am not sure that I really want to make it that hard.. but a good idea none the less.. the area that I am planning on placing the caches is on the wooded land on my propery and about 10 acres more or less and I wanted to put about 2-3 caches there and each one with its own theme... 1) yu-gi-oh trading cards only 2)food recipes only 3)general all purpose cache...

:blink: A cache I hid last year uses a combo lock with 4 tumblers. In order to unlock it, cachers have to find 4 micro's located around town. On each micro is a number and a fun twist is not to give the order of the combination. Let the cacher fiqure it out. Kind of like a mastermind game, but it has prooven to be a lot of fun for cachers in my area.

That's an awesome idea! I love the game Mastermind. You could have the "Mastermind Cache". :D

The problem with a key or a combination is both soon become public property and everyone, not just geocachers, will be wandering through your property, leaving trash, harassing wildlife, etc.

The property is only ten acres. Why not leave the gate locked and in the cache description say park at the gate and walk in? Geocachers won't mind and it would keep your property from becoming the high school party spot.

The problem with a key or a combination is both soon become public property and everyone, not just geocachers, will be wandering through your property, leaving trash, harassing wildlife, etc.

The property is only ten acres. Why not leave the gate locked and in the cache description say park at the gate and walk in? Geocachers won't mind and it would keep your property from becoming the high school party spot.

well I was planning on making a place for more than one vehicle to park if there happens to be more than one group looking for the cache at one time.. :blink:

but you have made a good point that I over looked.. dont need the high schoolers out there partying and making a big mess there

Trucker

The property is only ten acres.  Why not leave the gate locked and in the cache description say park at the gate and walk in?  Geocachers won't mind and it would keep your property from becoming the high school party spot.

You could change the lock every month or two. Use 3 or 4 different locks in a rotation. That way, the 'public' will throw out the combination when it's reported to not work any longer. They won't remember it by the time you go back to that particular lock.

Edited by Team GPSaxophone
you could change the lock every month or two. Use 3 or 4 different locks in a rotation. That way, the 'public' will throw out the combination when it's reported to not work any longer. They won't remember it by the time you go back to that particular lock.

This is a great idea. Wish I thought of it!

:lol: Why throw the lock away, simply weld a chain to it so it would not fall off. As for the lock. The combo lock I use will not close unless you reset the numbers. 4 numbers, means you have a lot of different numbers to choose from. If you don't want to change the numbers on your micro's simply change the combo and say, add this number to micro1, subtract this number from micro 2, etc.

:D My Cache in the park has been up for almost 1 year with no problems what so ever.

:( If people start making a mess of your land by driving where they shouldn't then remove the combo lock and make them walk from the gate. Actually, walking from the gate is not a bad idea. That eliminates the need for the lock. I guess it all depends on you.

Edited by The_Brownies

rather than 4 micros, order unknown, you could have 2 micros with 2 digitis of the combo, also order unknown. much easier.

go combo. how are the unwanted elements going to get ahold of it? generally speaking, high-school partyers are not a big part of geocaching's demographic. Otoh, if the pudgy middle-aged and retired white men in your area decide they need a kegger spot, then you'll have problems.

Are you sure you're not trying to lure people to your property to hunt them? :lol:

it is lovely of you to open up your land this way. and i think your idea for a lock will work well. i think it will also be just fine if you decide to leave the gate locked.

i like the idea of the multi with the key available, and i also like the idea of a combination. if you go with the key, you can get spares cut cheaply and just replace them as the go. i have seen this used with some success.

i have caches on private land that are working well for the landowners, but i do recommend that you at least read the threads about caches on people's lawns. forewarned is forearmed.

Are you sure you're not trying to lure people to your property to hunt them? :lol:

I dont allow hunters on my property to go after game ie deer or turkey, and they know they are protected there... the only thing I allow is camera's and now the only thing that will be hunted is the cache that I have hid there... hehehehe

have the cache hidden now and one can look for

windy hill farm #1 to see the cache.. dont have the link to the cache handy right now... sorry about that...

it is lovely of you to open up your land this way. and i think your idea for a lock will work well. i think it will also be just fine if you decide to leave the gate locked.

i like the idea of the multi with the key available, and i also like the idea of a combination. if you go with the key, you can get spares cut cheaply and just replace them as the go. i have seen this used with some success.

i have caches on private land that are working well for the landowners, but i do recommend that you at least read the threads about caches on people's lawns. forewarned is forearmed.

well havent put the gate in yet.. it just barbwire there for the moment... and am looking for the first person to find the cache and let me know what they think.

yup have looked at other treads about front yard caches, and my house is no where near the cache so I shouldnt have any problems in that aspect. but then again one never knows. that why the dogs guard the house.. heheheheh

I have room in that area to hide atleast 1-2 more caches and not sure what sort I will place. one might be a micro or one on a lanyard have yet to decide .. but that is for another topic or thread.