Rubik Cube As A Clue

kc8hnz

Has anyone tried using a rubiks cube as a clue for a cache?

What I have in mind is the listed coord. take you to a cache with a scrambled rubik cube. Before it was scrambled, the loaction of the final location will be written one number in each square on the sides, north being on say the red side, west being on say white. To read the coord. correctly, the finder would have to solve the cube and put it into the GPSr.

Has anything like this been tried before? Also, would it be best to list it as a multi or as a puzzle cache? Thanks for the input!

Has anyone tried using a rubiks cube as a clue for a cache?

What I have in mind is the listed coord. take you to a cache with a scrambled rubik cube. Before it was scrambled, the loaction of the final location will be written one number in each square on the sides, north being on say the red side, west being on say white. To read the coord. correctly, the finder would have to solve the cube and put it into the GPSr.

Has anything like this been tried before? Also, would it be best to list it as a multi or as a puzzle cache? Thanks for the input!

There would be no need to actually solve the cube. Corner squares are always corner squares, same for side and center squares. That, plus the orientation of the numbers, would make it simple to figure out the coordinates just by examining the cube.

One way to do it as was explained to me is the hider solves the puzzle then writes the numbers so it spans OR three sides for each set. As you write them you randomly rotate the digits to throw off using orientation to solve it. Then you fill the rest of the squares with random numbers being careful not to create a second set of starting numbers. In other words, if your longitude is 82­° then don't have any other 8's and 2's together.

Use a cube keychain and attach a travel bug tag and then you add a "Key to Nutria" (sp? I don't have time to look it up) element to it. You must first find the cube, solve anyway you can, and then find the cache/next stage.

Some folks will be able to solve the cube faster than most of the cheaters! But I'm not one of them, I'd "cheat."

There would be no need to actually solve the cube. Corner squares are always corner squares, same for side and center squares. That, plus the orientation of the numbers, would make it simple to figure out the coordinates just by examining the cube.

That is true, unless you can figure out some abstract way to represent the numbers to make it utterly confusing. Like using unusual symbols to represent numbers, and make their relative orientation critical.

Me, I'd just dis-assemble the cube and re-assemble. :huh:

I used to know a guy in high-school who could solve the cube in seconds (the legtimate way). Of course, to do this, the cube had to be broken-in just right to handle his speed, and he used some sort of dry lubricant to make things slide easier.

You could hand him a new cube, but it would take him a bit longer to solve (not much, though) because the cube was "stiff".

I took one of his cubes (he had several, of course...a true professional) and swapped a couple of stickers so it would be impossible to solve.

After about a minute he was real flustered, and realized something was "wrong" with that cube and threw it at me. We all got a good laugh out of that. :D

George

I was the kid in 8th grade who could solve it insanely fast. We used to have competitions and my time was always under a minute. The big variable was how it came out for the last step. If it was one way, a couple moves would get it, but another way would require some extra steps. Of course, I learned the solution from the manual. Even knowing it, I kept thinking that I would never have come up with that solution on my own. Last time I saw them in the toy store, the solution manual was being packaged right in with the puzzle, so you don't have to go looking very far for one. I can't find my original one, but last time I tried to solve it, I only got five sides solved and can't seem to get that sixth side finished. :huh:

The latest puzzle I am working on, I actually have as a travel bug. No solution manual is published, and it has only been solved by a couple of people. My best puzzle nerd friends have worked on this one to no avail. Hopefully before I die, I'll get it solved.

The cube cache idea may work, but like others have said -- not quite how you may have intended it. I actually love solving the cube, but if I could only solve one side of the cube (as most people seem to be able to do) then I would at least just solve one side at a time until I had the coordinates. I wouldn't solve the whole cube, just the red side, then solve blue (scrambling red) etc. Perhaps that would work.

My personal best time is 56 seconds, which is pretty slow. The world record was just under 23 seconds, and now 15-18 seconds is common in those circles. Right now if I picked up one of my speed cubes, my time would probably be about 90 seconds.

So, I have forever dubbed myself a "casual cuber" and as long as I can remember how to solve it, I'm happy. Just remember -- solving the cube is a near useless skill that takes a lot of time to aquire and does not impress the opposite sex. If you think you have better things to do with your time, I can only agree -- you probably have! (paraphrased from a quote by Lars Petrus -- one of the few who can solve it in under 20 seconds).

PuzzleBug

btw, My geocaching page has a rubik's section: www.puzzlebug.com/rubik