Placing A Cache Near County Courthouse

Snideswipe

I'm familiar with the fact that the geocaching rules state that caches shouldn't be placed near government buildings. Well, I was speaking with several different people that are working in the county courthouse and they suggested I place a cache on the courthouse grounds.

I'm perplexed... if they want me to place a cache there, is it still against the rules? :huh:

Edit for grammar. I is a kollege studnet!

Edited by Snideswipe

So far I've got the stamp of approval from the the Sheriff's dept. (which works out of the courthouse) and from the County Clerk, who handles such things as permission to do activities on courthouse property. A deputy and the County treasurer thought it was a stellar idea.

Editing to add: This is a little town and the run-of-the-mill workers ARE the ones who run the whole place. :huh:

Edited by Snideswipe

Hi everyone, I'm new here. Found 2 caches so far. Planned to put my own micro cache somewhere in legaslative area (more historical for cacher to observe.) After reading this compromising thread, I would like to ask, if it is alright with legalative authorities for me to put down micro[/b} cache there, will it be permitted by Geocaching moderator or whoever in authority?

By the way, I own standard etrex, and am currently a student pilot learning navigation using various techniques such as dead recknoning, VOR, pilotage, GPS and such. I look forward to geocache with pilot cachers in near future!

:huh:

Hi everyone, I'm new here. Found 2 caches so far. Planned to put my own micro cache somewhere in legaslative area (more historical for cacher to observe.) After reading this compromising thread, I would like to ask, if it is alright with legalative authorities for me to put down micro[/b} cache there, will it be permitted by Geocaching moderator or whoever in authority?

By the way, I own standard etrex, and am currently a student pilot learning navigation using various techniques such as dead recknoning, VOR, pilotage, GPS and such. I look forward to geocache with pilot cachers in near future!

:D

I'm not sure where you are planning on placing your cache. Read the guidelines to placing your first cache on the GC.com site, as well as the FAQ there. Those will answer a lot of your questions.

Good luck and Happy Geocaching!! :huh:

In this case, the city council and mayor don't have a darned thing to do with the courthouse. Funny, I know, but I checked with all the pertinent offices and that's what I was told. :huh:

The story of "Itsy Bitsy Spider" (not yet approved)

A cache will be placed

in dear Shelby County

a micro it is

not filled with bounty

A tiny container

no trouble to most

but permission I need

from a most gracious host

Off to the courthouse

to the County Clerk I must speak

about a piece of plastic

that others will seek

She querried my quest

asked what was the purpose

so I gave a discourse

on tech geeks to sherpas

"Many a traveller

from far and wide

will scour the landscape

for small things we hide,

Big tupperware tubs

or cans that held ammo

stuck out in the forest

and covered with camo

Full not of bullets

but with trinkets to find

some filled with nothing

just a game for your mind

Caches out in a park

or stuffed under a log

up on a mountain

or deep in a bog

They use a receiver

to hide and to look

and when they find it

they sign a small book

The one I will place

does not hold a stash

just a logbook

can I please place my cache?"

"You've made a good point

now my opinion is slanted

geocaching sounds fun

your permission is granted!"

Edited by Snideswipe

Maybe instead of placing a cache there you could find another place that won't run the risk of you (or someone else) getting the dreaded "We would like to speak with you downtown" speech from a police officer.

Continue on with looking into placing the cache here. But be very thorough in getting permission.

:D:D:)<_<:D

Yeehah! I'm approved!

Itsy Bitsy Spider

This micro probably won't merit as many dnf's as the other courthouse one previously mentioned, but I've got another cache in the works that should be the bane of many cachers. :D Whee!

Hopefully my dear mother and I will get Shelby County well populated with caches, enough so that the poor saps who drive to check them out won't be too horrified by the lack of culture around here.

And, as a side note, when the Mayor of Shelbyville gets sick, he doesn't go into work. He runs the local automotive repair shop, not the town. Heh.