So, what should I take along as a cache goody???

ecd1211

New to geocaching -- just got a new Magellan Meridian Color from my wife for our anniversary. Before I start looking for some caches, I'd like to have an idea of the kinds of stuff people take along to put in the cache.

Rolex watches? Keys to a new BMW? A new iPod? icon_wink.gif

I guess I'll get an idea as I progress through some finds, but I don't want to go off on my first expedition under- or over-prepared...

Come visit my caches in El Paso. Bring all of the above!

Seriously... Things like spare AA batteries, special coins, emergency blankets, up to mini-mag-light flashlights and Gerber multi-tools. If you think it is cool, likely someone else will too.

The idea is to trade up or trade even. This means put in something of equal or better value than what you take. Many good caches soon turned to junk because cachers took the good stuff and left broken Mc-Toys. Do not be afraid to not trade at all, just sign the log. Also... NO FOOD ITEMS!

Use your imagination!

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Welcome edc! $100 dollar bills are alway's nice!

icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, I tend to leave hand tools such as tape measures, screwdrivers, hex key sets...

A good idea would be to read the cache's description first. It may be a themed cache thus giving you a good idea what to bring.

There is an art to finding good geojunk at affordable prices. Plus one mans junk is another's treasures. BrianSnat posted a list of junk he had found and more than one item was somthing I'd of driven out of my way to go get (and I'd drive a long ways just for a cache).

It's all relative. Nobody has come up to me at an event cache and said "wow you sure trade great stuff" so I must not of perfected the art yet myself.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

I try to keep the cache 'balanced'. Some items that small kids would want along with stuff that older kids or adults would like.

McToys, in my opinion, actually make fairly good trade items as long as they are new and still packaged. Of course, you won't want to trade a McToy for the brand new car.

In addition to my list of junk that Renegade Knight mentioned, here is a partial list of suff

I've put in caches (my own and ones I've found):

US flags

flag pins

modeling clay

carabiners

Energizer squeeze lights

stickers

bags of toy soldiers

pocket knives (um I mean tools)

water colors

mini screwdriver sets

allen wrench sets

gel pens

boxes of crayons or colored chalk

emergency rain ponchos

packs of AA batteries

collectable coins (buffalo nickels, indian head pennies, SBA or Sacagawea dollars)

Music CD's

Blank RW CD's

Cassettes (blank and recorded)

calculators

clip on safety strobes

bungee cords

LED key lights

"euro" stickers & other decals

mini sewing kits

maps (hiking & road)

software

small packs of Wet Ones or Baby Wipes

Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars

key rings

bags of balloons

velcro fasteners

interesting buttons

foreign money

rolls of film

cigarette lighters (I don't care what they say)

movies on VHS & DVD

office supplies (packs of paper clips, thumb tacks, Post-Its, etc...)

Mylar emergency blankets

decks of cards

packs of Armor-All & Rain-X wipes

survival whistles

Wheresgeorge bills

Wheresgeorge stamps

Geocaching.com hats, pins, patches and compasses

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

If you look around, there are a lot of great things you can get for under $1 that other people would miss... dollar stores can be great places. icon_smile.gif On the other hand, you might want to take some $3-$5 things just in case there's something really nice you want in a cache. As Desert_Warrior said, the polite unwritten rule is that you trade up; leave more than you take.

I try to take things that will be helpful depending on the cache location. Think what you'd do if you were there: towellettes for a picnic area, bug spray for a forest, emergency blankets or flashlights for long hikes. And the ideal thing would be to create something of your own (signature items) as Team Kender said. Leave a craft or something. It can be lots of fun coming up with things to leave.

Have fun!

quote:
If you look around, there are a lot of great things you can get for under $1 that other people would miss... dollar stores can be great places. On the other hand, you might want to take some $3-$5 things just in case there's something really nice you want in a cache.

Agreed. 90 percent of the things on my above list can be had for under $3. Some for under $1.

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

The cache we found tonight was the perfect example of what NOT to leave in a cache. It was horrible, and contained such gems as:

+ a filthy spaghetti sorter

+ dirty, broken McToys

+ faded, rusty pin

+ broken pin

and the coup de'grace...

+ a dirty, unused band-aid

There was probably some correlation here, but it was by far the easiest cache we've gone after. The fact that it was in a busy park and had been there for over a full year was astounding. For the record, I did leave a brand new, shrinkwrapped set of 25 disposable drink coasters with jokes on them. I'm sure it will get replaced with a dirty McToy on short order, but ah well.

I carry about a half-dozen cache prizes on me, ranging from a cheap SpongeBob keychain to a (used, but excellent shape) Minority Report DVD. Personally, with the exception of the DVD I always leave new items. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY wants crappy used McToys.

I realize the thrill is in the hunt, etc., but it is kind of de-spiriting to the group to find a container full of garbage. I haven't set up any caches myself, but when I do I'm pretty sure I'll make them all "members only". Call me elitist or whatever, but I'd be upset to check on my cache and find it full of crap.

I'm sure it's just because I'm a noob, but I can't belive this post, or rather the replies.

What a great world we live in that we can have a hobby that uses protected, public land for everyone to enjoy, expensive toys, cars, etc., and people are complaining about McToys? Try living in a country where a family can't afford McDonalds (food quality another issue), let alone a computer to post on these boards, or a GPS unit.

<All above just IMHO, of course. Comments welcome>

=====

It is the tale, not he who tells it."

Yeah, I agree with not leaving band-aids, pieces of glass, and such. Anyone w/ some Porche keys I'll trade for my Prizm keys!

Don't mean to be a troll, this is just a sore point of mine. Seems many ppl don't appreciate the wealth we live in.

=====

It is the tale, not he who tells it."