Best Hid Cache You've Found

BeadBoy

I'd be interested to hear anyone's story of the most creatively hid cache they found. please do not say which cache as to keep a little fun in finding them. :rolleyes: If This is not a new thread idea (within the last couple of weeks) please tell me.

So here is my story. I was caching with a group looking for an impossibly placed cache in heavy tree cover, one member of my group pused the cache aside to look behind it not knowing that was it. Another member of my group came by the same spot a couple minutes later and found the upturned cache. The cache was hidden in a hollowed out log placed next to a stump.

P.S. The funnier the better (use discretion as to funny)

The most creatively hidden cache I have found was "Atlantis" in the Sacramento area. It's been archived for a while, so I can expose it's secrets. At first, the GPS pointed to a spot 6 foot offshore in a lake. Looking around, I saw a bungee cord tied to a tree leading down into the lake, and it was taut, like something heavy was holding it down(!) After pulling on the cord, out of the water came an ammo can!

Thanx Jeo!

The best I think I've ever heard of was a multi where the coordinates for the cache were ona tag around a llama's neck at a petting zoo.

I think the best one I've seen was part of a multi set up by the park it was in. Every stage was great, but one particular stage brought you, after about a half-mile hike, to the top of a 40 foot bluff overlooking a river. Hanging about 15 feet above the river, from a tree on the opposite side and about where the GPS pointed, was what appeared to be a birdhouse. Close inspection with binoculars revealed that the birdhouse was actually suspended by a wire that went up to a pulley on the tree branch. It wasn't easy, but you had to trace the wire from there, up somewhere on top of the bluff to another pulley, down the trail another 100 feet or so to yet another pulley, and finally another 50 feet to a stake in the ground. At the stake, you simply released a hook and let out a few feet of slack, then returned to the birdhouse to find it within reach. Hopefully you brought your waders, or didn't mind the temperature.

sbell111 I actually live in oregon and just signed up for the website. I have some un e-logged finds that being one of them (actually the group I was caching with logged it) but I was on vacation and those where the only ones found within a reasonable amount of time of signing up. wait the fact that I live in Oregon doesn't help much on the disdance thing.

Edited by BeadBoy

Dinoprophet wrote:

The best I think I've ever heard of was a multi where the coordinates for the cache were on a tag around a llama's neck at a petting zoo...

That's classic! :D:D

Edit: Oh...on topic, the best one I've ever heard of was a cache hidden inside a hardened cow pie, in a pasture. Apparently, the owner rigged it to moooo!when you turned it over! :huh:

Edited by sept1c_tank
<_< My wife and I were caching in new jersey in an area that was a rocky valley,and very muddy. The GPSr was jumping all over the place, I told the wife to stand on this dry rock as to not get all muddy. I looked and looked for about 20 minutes, then the wife looked down. She had been standing right on top of it the whole time!!

I also hid one in a bird house too high to reach, but it was tied to a wire the was hooked on a nail at the bottom of the tree to lower it.

My next one will also be in a bird house with a long string and an encrypted note telling you to pull string out (one end is attached to bird house) due south and where it touches the ground (about 30 feet away) dig down 1" to a buried cache. I hope it works.

The best I think I've ever heard of was a multi where the coordinates for the cache were ona tag around a llama's neck at a petting zoo.

I think the best one I've seen was part of a multi set up by the park it was in. Every stage was great, but one particular stage brought you, after about a half-mile hike, to the top of a 40 foot bluff overlooking a river. Hanging about 15 feet above the river, from a tree on the opposite side and about where the GPS pointed, was what appeared to be a birdhouse. Close inspection with binoculars revealed that the birdhouse was actually suspended by a wire that went up to a pulley on the tree branch. It wasn't easy, but you had to trace the wire from there, up somewhere on top of the bluff to another pulley, down the trail another 100 feet or so to yet another pulley, and finally another 50 feet to a stake in the ground. At the stake, you simply released a hook and let out a few feet of slack, then returned to the birdhouse to find it within reach. Hopefully you brought your waders, or didn't mind the temperature.

Oh, my Lord -- those are great!!

Hoo hoo hoo!

Got one multi that had unique "containers" for the first 4 steps with a normal final cache. The "containers" all fit the theme.

Found another that had you go around to get info for the first step, which had the coordinates for the main cache written on the plastic part of a shotgun shell hanging in a tree. The main cache was in a birdfeeder set up like in the post above.

This cache Steam Power Cache is a really well done one. When I found it it was rated @ 1.5 1nd 1.5. The hint was also different. The owner changed the rating and the clue after about 4 or 5 people logged no finds. This one was a really good one I had actually had my hand on the cache container and didn't realize it.

Steam Power was indeed hidden very well. I looked with a flashlight and and felt with my hands and missed it. Like Quills, I probably touched it. It was a simple concept, but it fooled a lot of people, until the owner changed the hint. Now its a giveaway.

Best one Ive found is a small piece of electrical conduit and a small junction box set against the base of a large sign smack in the middle of the university campus. Once you figure out where the cache is, you still have to retrieve and replace it without compromising it.

Edited by WindChill
This cache Steam Power Cache is a really well done one. When I found it it was rated @ 1.5 1nd 1.5. The hint was also different. The owner changed the rating and the clue after about 4 or 5 people logged no finds. This one was a really good one I had actually had my hand on the cache container and didn't realize it.

Most creative hide I've found yet is by the same hider as Steam Cache.

Long Journey cache