For Men Only !!!

clearpath

It appears as if there are a lot of geocaching couples out there in geoland. However, some of us have a partner that doesn't give a fig about searching for worthless junk (imagine that). Anyways, I really like the sport and my wife does not. For you men out there in a similar situation, what excuses do you give your wife (or significant other) to allow yourself the freedom to geocache. Don't get me wrong, I love my wife dearly and we have other things in common. However, she does not like it when I wake up early on the weekends and geocache til noon (or beyond) when I should be painting the house or fixing one of the many 'honey-do' items. Anyone have a solution or some good excuses I can use? Thank you in advance.

edit - spelling (I know excuses is spelled wrong in the title description)

Edited by clearpath

Mrs. Rusty wasen't into caching at first. I just made time, lunch breaks a trip to the hardware store (well maybe I didn't go to the closest store I could have :rolleyes: ). Eventually these options ran out. Based on 25 years of experience with the lady in question, I made a stand. Once in 25 years didn't seem to be to often. I was going caching with or without her, she tried it. After a while she started suggesting we go look for caches.

I am so relieved that worked out. And who knows 25 years from now I may want to make another stand. :(

Tell your wife that you'll be spending the weekend in Las Vegas with your gorgeous secretary, gambling and drinking and that you'll be sharing a room to save money....but you promise nothing will happen. When she explodes, say "Hah, only kidding, I'm just going geocaching for a few hours in the morning". :rolleyes:

Edited by briansnat
Tell your wife that you'll be spending the weekend in Las Vegas with your gorgeous secretary, gambling and drinking and that you'll be sharing a room to save money....but you promise nothing will happen. When she explodes, say "Hah, only kidding, I'm just going geocaching for a few hours in the morning".  :rolleyes:

I like that ... it kind of puts things into perspective. :(

On a recent trip to a GeoMeet I listened to three cachers (guys) discussing this exact issue.

The first cacher said, "I told my wife that I was going caching whether she liked it or not. On the first day I didn't see any change. On the second day still no change. On the third day she printed out a cache page and told me to go ahead and have a good time."

The second cacher chimed in, "I did the same thing. I told her I was old enough, and man enough, to go caching if I wanted to. On the first day I didn't see anything. On the second day still nothing. But on the third day she not only printed out a cache page, she made me a sandwich to take along."

The last cacher jumped in with, "I told my wife that I was going caching and there wasn't anything she could do to stop me. On the first day I didn't see anything. On the second day I still didn't see anything. On the third day I could maybe see a little bit out of my left eye."

Compared to you guys, I am a relative marital newbie at 4 years. My wife looks at the weather forcast for my off call weekends and anticipates that I will want to go caching. So far, has been very supportive as long as she doesn't have to come with. Maybe I should worry, but when I get home there is a fresh batch of elderberry booze and my soda bottle is always handy. As I have said, I am the luckiest man alive!

Is there a fire station nearby ?

As soon as the siren goes off, yell " love ya hon, kiss her as if ya may never see her again, grab a pre-packed caching bag, and rush out the door."

On the way back, stop at the station and offer to help wash the trucks. They will GLADLY let you help, and you can get enough details about the call to "fill her in" on what happened.

You may find that you even want to join for real eventually. When there are enough people already there for the call, go geocaching.

Oh yea, don't tell my wife or the chief about this one. :rolleyes:

My wife has no idea I geocache.

Instead, I have spent the last 12 years or so carefully crafting a lie to make her believe that I'm a spy doing covert operations for the CIA in Central Illinois. Originally I did this as a means of getting out of doing the dishes, but it adapted well to geocaching too.

At a moment's notice a call can come in or an email be received and I must be off to meet the latest dangers, using only my wits, the advanced technology available to me, and some Happy Meal toys.

Life is just easier this way.

Bret

:rolleyes: My wife could careless. It's the micro-cache containers that get me into trouble. Whenever I see a container that has excellant possibilites, I buy it. I'm starting to get a good collection of them, so whenever I bring home a new micro container, I always have to come up with an excuse for the new container. "Honey.. I need this for my new Riddler Cache Series" She generally let's me off the hook since I don't spend more than $2-3 bucks on them. After 15 Years together, she knows me pretty good, so there is no hiding anything from her. Edited by The_Brownies

All of the 'whimp' jokes aside: It should come down to balance. You know, a Yin & Yang kind of thing.

As long as the house is maintained and I spend quality time with her and the kids there is no problem with me going 'caching or doing any of the other things I like.

Since our relationship is healthy, my wife is as understanding of my need for solitude and personal recreation as I am of her need for the same. There are other things we do together and other things we do with the kids.

The answer is in finding balance, my friend.

Is there a fire station nearby ?

As soon as the siren goes off, yell " love ya hon, kiss her as if ya may never see her again, grab a pre-packed caching bag, and rush out the door."

On the way back, stop at the station and offer to help wash the trucks. They will GLADLY let you help, and you can get enough details about the call to "fill her in" on what happened.

You may find that you even want to join for real eventually. When there are enough people already there for the call, go geocaching.

Oh yea, don't tell my wife or the chief about this one. :rolleyes:

Heck, I'll do ya one better. The names and places have been changed in this story, because some of them are still working there:

It's not geocaching, but I could still see myself doing it. One night, we had a particularly long night running EMS calls, and needed coffee. The nearest "fresh" coffee was a mile and a half from our station, so one of my partners called dispatch and told them we had a person walk in and tell us about a possible cardiac arrest at the coffee shop. By the time they dispatched us on the "call" we were halfway there.

Anyway, I know a lot of the paramedics around would do pretty much the same thing if they were into geocaching. New cache pops up in your call area? No problem, make a red light and siren run to get it, then advise dispatch that you couldn't find the patient!

Unethical, but highly probable, and mostly fun! :(

To re-use an old joke I heard once...

A Geocacher wakes up his wife right as the sky began turning light early one Saturday morning. He says, "sex or Geocaching."

She replies, "the GPS is on the table." :rolleyes:

Hah! Now whether some people are honest or not, this is the most likely scenario if you've been married 5 years or more!

As for me, I gotta try that one.... ha ha ha!!

I apologize, my first post wasn't exactly on topic. Let me try to get there with this one. :(

I haven't had any problems with going caching yet. I tend to do it while my wife is at work, and generally get home around the same time she does. I've asked her a couple of times if she wanted to go with me, but she hasn't yet, mostly because it's been too cold, and she doesn't do well in cold weather (anything under 80f). On one occasion, I told her I was going out caching when she was home, and she didn't mind because she had things she was doing around the house (cleaning floors) that I would be in the way of. It'll be 5 years of marriage this July, and so far, so good! My first didn't quite make it 2 years, though it seemed like an eternity! :rolleyes:

I like geo-caching but my wife does too.

Simple answer...

Just stay late at work.

If she finds out I really wasn't at work but out caching, at least

it's better than getting caught cheating with her on the secretary.

She might be mad, but I am not doing anything that bad

I got caught caching without my wife. She spotted the cheat grass seeds in my boot laces. Then saw the mud on my truck tires.

Overall I may have been better off getting caught cheating with another woman. :rolleyes:

..."For Men Only"???"

<sigh> Everyone always looks astonished to find that *I* am the camper/cacher/non-wimpyoutdoorsy one in the house :rolleyes:

OK, well maybe I have a teensy wimpy streak when it comes to spiders&snakes crawling into my tent, but I would definitely be the one looking for the 5star terrain caches--my better half's idea of roughing it is laying in a jacuzzi at the Hilton...WITHOUT a wireless connection for his laptop! While that definitely has it's merits, I don't have alot of people in my house up for going out in the 10degree weater to search out frozen tupperware in the woods! So it's *me* that's gotta figure out the excuses to get out of the house for Geo-anything!

..."For Men Only"???"

<sigh> Everyone always looks astonished to find that *I* am the camper/cacher/non-wimpyoutdoorsy one in the house :rolleyes:

OK, well maybe I have a teensy wimpy streak when it comes to spiders&snakes crawling into my tent, but I would definitely be the one looking for the 5star terrain caches--my better half's idea of roughing it is laying in a jacuzzi at the Hilton...WITHOUT a wireless connection for his laptop! While that definitely has it's merits, I don't have alot of people in my house up for going out in the 10degree weater to search out frozen tupperware in the woods! So it's *me* that's gotta figure out the excuses to get out of the house for Geo-anything!

You go, girlfriend! :(

I've been married for about 18 years. I don't need an excuse. I get up early on the weekend, my bag is packed and my water bottles are filled. She's happy to get me out of her way for 5 to 6 hours.

I too, have been married for 18 years... my wife still thinks I need to devote all of my available free time to her and the kids... <ring><ring> hello? I am needed at the shop? No problem, be right there!

..."For Men Only"???"

<sigh> Everyone always looks astonished to find that *I* am the camper/cacher/non-wimpyoutdoorsy one in the house :(

Huh, sorry to interrupt, but I think your husband wants you to come home now! :rolleyes::):D

Yet another good reinforcement of my personal motto: Never get married, never have kids.

I cache when and where I please, and answer to no one. Life is simple, uncomplicated, unfettered and it's MINE! ALL MINE! (oh, yeah, life is also selfish and, very rarely, lonely. But as trade offs go, I'll take it.)

Go ahead, flame me. I can take it.

Yet another good reinforcement of my personal motto: Never get married, never have kids.

I cache when and where I please, and answer to no one. Life is simple, uncomplicated, unfettered and it's MINE! ALL MINE!  (oh, yeah, life is also selfish and, very rarely, lonely. But as trade offs go, I'll take it.)

Go ahead, flame me. I can take it.

How can I flame you ... you are my hero. :huh:

LOL...I have had a few good laughs reading the posts here. My wife and I were separated the last two years and I picked up geocaching so the kids and I can have something to do that wouldn't cost me a ton of cache every weekend.

We have reconciled and part of the process was taking her geocaching while we talked some things out. It turns out she enjoyed it very much and comes with me whenever we can coordinate our schedules.

On the flipside, she doesn't hassle me about going (which is a first) and askes about the caches I found when I get home.

So, I guess I never really had to make excuses nor will I ever (knock on wood) or my wife's head! LOL! (hope she doesn't read this!)

Happy Cachin'!!

LOL...I have had a few good laughs reading the posts here. My wife and I were separated the last two years and I picked up geocaching so the kids and I can have something to do that wouldn't cost me a ton of cache every weekend.

We have reconciled and part of the process was taking her geocaching while we talked some things out. It turns out she enjoyed it very much and comes with me whenever we can coordinate our schedules.

On the flipside, she doesn't hassle me about going (which is a first) and askes about the caches I found when I get home.

So, I guess I never really had to make excuses nor will I ever (knock on wood) or my wife's head! LOL! (hope she doesn't read this!)

Happy Cachin'!!

Well, that's cool that geocaching can be used as a form of marriage counseling now! :huh:

My wife thinks it's 'dorky' to go out into the "woods" in south Florida (Florida doesn't any "Woods"!) searching for bric-a-brak but she is in bemused support of it. Although I do tend to stretch things a bit and end up doing that 'final' cache that gets me in trouble for being out too late.

And to think married men on the average outlive single men! :huh: (wearing my fire resistant underwear)

EXCUSE ME

:huh:

I AM A WOMAN ENTERING YOUR CONVERSATION :D

I am Dufer's Loving Linda and honestly there is not ANY other place I would rather be than in the woods with Dufer! No TV no phones (accept cells--ya know he DOES own a cell store) no interuptions, just time alone and working together toward a goal. IT'S ALL GOOD! oh by the way here's a hint, buy her her own gps--it's like the tv remote--you guys would hog it all the time if there is only one :D

I've been married for about 18 years. I don't need an excuse. I get up early on the weekend, my bag is packed and my water bottles are filled. She's happy to get me out of her way for 5 to 6 hours.

Same here, and I've only been married for 7 years. :D Cool thing about my wife is we're allowed to be independent. Don't need to do things together all the time. If I want to go out caching, she's fine with it. If she wants to go out with her friends, I'm fine with that, too. I have a great wife. :huh:

Tell your wife that you'll be spending the weekend in Las Vegas with your gorgeous secretary, gambling and drinking and that you'll be sharing a room to save money....but you promise nothing will happen. When she explodes, say "Hah, only kidding, I'm just going geocaching for a few hours in the morning". :huh:

Hey! I'm doing just that, minus the gorgeous secretary though.

Can't complain when a friend invites you on a trip and pays for everything.

Tell your wife that you'll be spending the weekend in Las Vegas with your gorgeous secretary, gambling and drinking and that you'll be sharing a room to save money....but you promise nothing will happen. When she explodes, say "Hah, only kidding, I'm just going geocaching for a few hours in the morning". :huh:

I would try that but I don't think I would survive long enough to tell her I was just going geocaching. I can't be sure but I think I'd have a knife in my neck somewhere around the word secretary.

I just tell her the truth and let her roll her eyes.

..."For Men Only"???"

<sigh> Everyone always looks astonished to find that *I* am the camper/cacher/non-wimpyoutdoorsy one in the house

I was wondering when a woman would get around to posting something to this effect. Thank you!

I stayed out of it because I live alone and therefore do not have to account for my time to anyone. I like it that way. :huh:

EXCUSE ME

:D

I AM A WOMAN ENTERING YOUR CONVERSATION :huh:

I am Dufer's Loving Linda and honestly there is not ANY other place I would rather be than in the woods with Dufer! No TV no phones (accept cells--ya know he DOES own a cell store) no interuptions, just time alone and working together toward a goal. IT'S ALL GOOD! oh by the way here's a hint, buy her her own gps--it's like the tv remote--you guys would hog it all the time if there is only one :D

Wow, will ya look at that? Dufer's wife has a moustache! :D

Had to say it, LOL....