Geocoin Exchange

Polycron

Greetings,

I’m looking for someone who wants to do a CA Geocoin / USA Geocoin exchange. I have my USA Geocoins coming in the next couple of days. What I am proposing is to do is link up with someone via email who wants to do this exchange. I would release one of my coins with a final destination of a cache of your choice. You would do the same with a destination of a cache of my choice.

What do you think? Think it will work? I’m not sure if this has been tried before or not. I’m not even sure if anyone wants to waste a coin this way. I’m curious as to your opinions.

I don't think either coin would even make it to a second cache, let alone their destination cache. If you really wanted to "exchange" them you'd have to do it at an event or through the mail.

The person who picked up my first released USA Geocoin never even logged it out of the chache--even after I emailed them asking to, just so people don't go looking for it.

It's a good idea, but I don't think it would ever work...my :huh: 2 cents

Only the USA coins are actually trackable travel bugs on the GC site. While the others are trackable, they really do not have goal pages or anything like that. This being the case I tend to agree that they would never make it to a given location. I know that very few of my Oregon coins get logged at all, but then again I do not really expect them to. The only USA coin I have ever found (or even seen) I kept, but only after emailing the owner and asking his permission. He changed the coins goal on the GC site to "To be carefully conserved in Bazzle's cache trinket collection.". Now the coin has achieved its goal and I have a cool addition to my collection.

If this were to work, the state coin would probably have a better chance if it had a TB tag attached to it somehow and thus could be tracked on the GC site.

Hmmmmm.... Have I just created my next TB idea???

Thanks for the input. I guess I didn't realize that the non USA geocoins didn't have the ability to set destinations. I also didn't realize that a lot of times the destinations are ignored.

This is unfortunate since one of the more interesting things I would like to collect are the various different state (and country) geocoins. I know that most coins are destined to keep travelling versus being collected. I suppose I could just buy them online, but what fun would that be? I would much rather collect a coin that has been in the hands of other geocachers. I would love to get my hands on a coin that started its life in California, Oregon, or any other state (or country) that has neat looking geocoins.

Yes, I like collecting coins. I've always been facinated by them. Geocoins take two of my most favorite hobbies and crash them together. I suppose a trade via US mail may be my only option if there are no other options available.

As a side note when I tried to open your homepage www.ramlow.org it crashed my IE6 and when I tried it in the AOL browser it crashed AOL.

Anyway, I'm like you. I also collect coins. I have coins from several foreign countries.

To date the only type of coin I've found in a cache has been a Mountain Bike geocoin. He said I could keep it but I put it in another cache for others to enjoy. :-)

Here is the latest idea that Saso_362 and I came up with. We are discussing exchanging activation codes for our USA Geocoins. This way my coin coin will start at his location and his will start at mine. We'll still attempt the home destination. We figured the following:

1) Our respective coins will start bouncing around in a geographic area that is not our own. It will make tracking much more fun! And will allow us to familiarize ourselves with the caches in each others geographical locations.

2) Geocoins go MIA. This isn't going to change. We accept this the minute we drop one in a cache. But if they go MIA, at least it won't be from the cache next door.

3) By using USA Geocoins, we can track it on this site.

4) If by some wild miracle the coins make it to their destinations, this would be icing on the cake and we will have our "collectable" coin that has been around the block.