Pics Of Your Geo/hiking Staff

Team P2

Ooooh, I have to add to this post since I just received my geo-hiking staff last week. This is another El Diablo staff. My travelbug Smokey finished first in the 2003 Great Canadian Coast to Coast Travelbug Race and hiking staff was part of the prize. I asked El Diablo to add my geocaching stamp to it and also a Canadian flag. I love it! Here's a picture of the staff AND the winning travelbug:

c0a0612e-6189-445e-b263-8c645c3aa2b5.jpg

While walking behind the pond at our home (seen in the photo), I spotted a Yellow Popular that was being choked by a Honey Suckle vine. Turned in into my geocaching staff last summer. Stong, flexible and less than 12 ounces. Photo on right show the detail of the twist made by the honey suckle...isn't nature wonderful?!?!? :mad:

cachestaff.jpg

Saw this thread a few days ago, so I took some photos to post last weekend. My staff began it's humble life as a mop handle, and after the cleaning crews destroyed the metal portion, it was returned to the supply warehouse (where I worked at the time) to be traded for a new one. I rescued said handle, reversed the 'mophead tightening bolt', and screwed the bolt into a hole I drilled in the end and then sharpened the tip end for 'poking purposes'. Then I wrapped the lower end in copper wire to prevent splitting. I also put on several small sections of copper wire wrap near the top end to provide a non-slip grip. Over time I have added the leather thong and beads as a bit of decoration, and I'm still contemplating the possibility of carving my username into it.

Now if I can only figure out how to get the pics to show up here!?

IM000769.JPG

IM000770.JPG

Edited by AZcachemeister

I just started making my first Geocaching / hiking / walking stick. I was injured in a traffic accident last week and will be making a slow comeback to Geocaching.

I pulled out a stick that I have had stored in my garage for about ten years. My brother brought it back from Hawaii for me. I have no idea what type of wood it is, but it is very dense and strong. I removed most of the bark with the exception of above and below where the handle will be. The bark is a dark brown / purple in color. Can anyone identify this wood? What type of finish would be good for outdoor use?

72900_1400.jpg

Thanks

Triogeo

Edited by TRIOGEO

This is a picture of my Geocaching/Hiking Staff:

They're cute, but not too bright!

ab7838f1-7494-4e9e-ac4d-0215bf45a374.jpg

Mopar and my boy

OH! You meant hiking stick! Sheesh! I guess I'm the one with the dim bulb! Ack!

I don't carry a hiking stick. Everytime I do I end up leaving at the cache sight. It's more trouble than it's worth! :lol:

Anyhoo . . . happy caching and stuff! :huh:

I have a Cherry staff. I am in the process of finiishing it up. I was going to use a Varathane finish. Not sure about the Linseed Oil.

You have to use boiled lindseed oil. The regular stuff never dries and makes a mess. This is the voice of experience, it took a year to clean up the wood slats on my 66 truck bed.

ab7838f1-7494-4e9e-ac4d-0215bf45a374.jpg

Mopar and my boy

OH! You meant hiking stick! Sheesh! I guess I'm the one with the dim bulb! Ack!

I don't carry a hiking stick. Everytime I do I end up leaving at the cache sight. It's more trouble than it's worth! :lol:

Anyhoo . . . happy caching and stuff! :huh:

Uhm, this is where I make a joke about MY staff being between my legs, right?

Mopar and my boy

OH! You meant hiking stick!  Sheesh!  I guess I'm the one with the dim bulb!  Ack! 

I don't carry a hiking stick.  Everytime I do I end up leaving at the cache sight.  It's more trouble than it's worth! :huh:

Anyhoo . . . happy caching and stuff:lol:

Uhm, this is where I make a joke about MY staff being between my legs, right?

Such a dork! But, I love him!

:D

What a pity I didn't have my camera with me yesterday. Usually I don't use a staff, I just grab whatever stick is at hand if necessary. Yesterday the trails in Six Mile Run Park, NJ were very icy and steep at some places, so I guessed some support would be handy - fortunately there was an arrow lost by a hunter laying near the trail, so I used that, crouching and climbing the icy plates.

In response to Triogeo...I'm originally from Hawaii and from my Boy Scouting experiences, it kind of looks like Guava wood, but I could be wrong. I have a hiking staff back on Maui at my parent's home that looks just like it. And it's really, really heavy. Does the bark come off really easy? Cause when I started to take the bark off, it came off without any trouble.

Edited by Mauison

MAUISON

The bark is VERY tough. I removed it about ten years ago and had to use a sharp knife. I just put a finish on the stick tonight. I used a teak oil. Being a hardwood this will penetrate the wood and give a satin finish. (which I prefer). I am still thinking of puting a satin urethane over it. I will post pictures soon.

TRIOGEO

On the PVC side...... I made mine about a year ago when I was looking around for a walking stick as I tend to fall down alot if not using some aid. I put a pvc joiner in the middle so I could take it apart for storage in the car. I put a nut and bolt through the end cap on the bottom end to act as a spike for traction. I went to EMS and found an discontinued cork top with a strap and compass in it for .99 cents. :D

I find that it flexes some when I really lean on it. I'm a little over 200 lbs. I twist off one end cap and store 8 or so AAs in it for spares. I also have a mini survival kit in the other section (from an old survival type kabar knife which had it in thr handle). For kicks I had wired it so that the spare batteries worked a light bulb in the top but I kept blinding myself! :D

As an aside, I am now living near a ski resort and occasionally come across broken ski poles that have been discarded. With a little elbow grease, a long thin screwdriver and some wd-40, the grip can usually be removed. This makes for an excellent soft handgrip and strap for cushioning the top of hand made staffs. (or visit your local bicycle or motorcycle dealer and you can get odd grips, usually for free!) :lol:

Pictures to be uploaded soon.

Saw this thread a few days ago, so I took some photos to post last weekend. My staff began it's humble life as a mop handle, and after the cleaning crews destroyed the metal portion, it was returned to the supply warehouse (where I worked at the time) to be traded for a new one. I rescued said handle, reversed the 'mophead tightening bolt', and screwed the bolt into a hole I drilled in the end and then sharpened the tip end for 'poking purposes'. Then I wrapped the lower end in copper wire to prevent splitting. I also put on several small sections of copper wire wrap near the top end to provide a non-slip grip. Over time I have added the leather thong and beads as a bit of decoration, and I'm still contemplating the possibility of carving my username into it.

Now if I can only figure out how to get the pics to show up here!?

IM000769.JPG

IM000770.JPG

If we are going to vote for most awesome staff I vote for this one.

Great job AZcachemeister! :lol:

Pat

Here's a stick that started as a bonus and has become a travel bug. Bushwacker's Bonus

It started off as a plain stick and each person who picks it up adds a little something to it. The pictures don't show all the work done so far. I think it's neat because of all the history and karma it's picking up along the way.

Very cool stick! This is going to be fun watching too.