Pics Of Your Geo/hiking Staff

Team P2

I know there are some staff related posts but not really a photo gallery thread. Here is one I just finished. Its made of 1 1/4" PVC pipe wrapped in red duct tape and the ends are painted in a strong textured paint. Also, the interior ends are sealed with expanding foam insulation. The top section with the holes contains a light stick (which really does put out a lot of light through those holes!). I'll have to get a good action shot in the dark sometime.

I use this staff for our light camping/hiking and for geocaching, it goes into dark holes before my hand does! :rolleyes: I added the Geo logo flag to help other cachers identify a fellow cacher from some distance.

Its a little crude but was a fun and cheap project that turned out a very functional item. :( The PVC at that length and diameter is actually quite strong but does flex a little.

EDIT: I forget to mention that there is a hard rubber cap at the business end of the staff to improve traction.

Post 'em if you got 'em!

geostaff.jpg

Team P2

Edited by Team P2

I've got two small adjustments I'd like to make to the staff above. One, I'd like to get a black chain to hold the Geo flag or paint/coat the current one black. Just for aesthetics. Also, I might add some kind of reflective tape in a couple of spots to help visibility for others at night when then light stick is not in use.

EDIT: Just to finish describing the obvious that Geo flag is double sided. :rolleyes:

Team P2

Edited by Team P2
Where did you purchase a Shepperd's staff?

D&B Supply here in Idaho carrys them. That's our local farm and tack chain. They set me back about 12 bucks. When it comes to actually using one on sheep I'm clueless. For hanging by a barb wire strand while looking under a bridge because that's the only way to keep from falling in they work like a charm.

I've been using a 5' 5" carved staff. Sorry no pic at the moment. Generally I only use this on caches that require a bit of a hike, usually about .5 miles one way.

For shorter caches I have a collapsable mono pod that is light and is very easy to pack in and out of the car.

A couple of years ago, I went after a local cache that was near a beaver dam. As I recall, I DNF'd on that trip, but I did find a perfect piece of green wood near the dam. It was just the right length and diameter and was carefully cut, trimmed, and debarked by on of the buck-toothed critters. I think it turned out really cool since it is covered with grooves from the little guy's teeth.

I applied a few layers of polyurethane and epoxied on a brass tip and it was ready to go. I'll try to find a pic.

Maybe some of you people did not understand the point of this thread...POST PICS OF YOUR STAVES! :D

Lots of good stuff showing up so far. All you slackers hurry up and get some eye candy for us to enjoy! :D

Keep it coming folkz.

Team P2

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of my stick. I shouldn't have posted. :huh:

Wow, how could I not post to this thread? I have a hiking stick that has over 300 miles, been on many a hike and I haven't even put my hands on it! Check it out here.

CKS1.jpgCKS2.jpgCKS3.jpg

Wow, that SO rocks. Would you be willing to send me the html for the bug page? I'll do the same with mine, whenever ElDiable finishes it.

That light-stick staff is pretty kewl! Is PVC tough enough for the backcountry?

My digital camera sux and takes horribly fuzzy pix indoors, otherwise you could behold my broken hockey stick staff (I thought I was the only one that had one of those) and my custom made "9key" stick that has pictograms of the three species of poison ivy burned into it.

I lost my walking stick recently, and have set out to replacing it. I want one that's pretty tall, taller than me even, and I'm 6'4". Most of the staffs/staves/sticks I've found on line have been a maximum of 72", and typically they're under 5'( that's <60" for the math impared).

I'm really not trying to compensate for a short-coming, but I want one that's about 80" long. Is that too much to ask?

Very nice staff El! But I've seen your work before and already knew that. ;)

On the question of PVC being strong enough for serious hiking I think it is hard to say. The 1 1/4 that I used is pretty strong at 66"s. Its light and does flex a little but not annoying at least to me. But, I don't do any real hiking yet so is it a "life" saver staff...don't really know. Its abviously hollow so you could do some kewl stuff inside it. I might even make it or another one that is electric with some LEDs and an easy to reach battery.

Team P2

I lost my walking stick recently, and have set out to replacing it. I want one that's pretty tall, taller than me even, and I'm 6'4". Most of the staffs/staves/sticks I've found on line have been a maximum of 72", and typically they're under 5'( that's <60" for the math impared).

I'm really not trying to compensate for a short-coming, but I want one that's about 80" long. Is that too much to ask?

I was introduced to the "jo" as in martial arts, some time ago. I went to the local hardware store (not a home depot type store, a REAL haradware store) and bought a 1 1/2" oak curtain rod. I then block planed it down to about an inch in diameter. It works very well as a hiking stick and if need be, it also serves as a 'jo'. My other stick is a simple cane. It looks like i'm having a hard time since it's a cane. I like that I can hook around trees and rocks to pull myself up an incline. it would also come in handy to stop me if I started to slide down the 45 degree shortcut I took last year.

In the woodworking books and magazines in years past, there have been articles on bending wood to make among other things, canes. An 80" cane would look cool!! ;)

Kernbob