Convert .loc To .wpt

drtmn

Right now I have downloading the waypoints from the pages of gc.com and then upload them into my ST map then upload them to Mapsend. I was wondering if there is a desktop program that can eliminate uploading them to the gps step. I know I need to put them on there anyway, but I want to put them on a map so I can decide which ones I am going to do.

Right now I have downloading the waypoints from the pages of gc.com and then upload them into my ST map then upload them to Mapsend. I was wondering if there is a desktop program that can eliminate uploading them to the gps step. I know I need to put them on there anyway, but I want to put them on a map so I can decide which ones I am going to do.

You are in luck. GSAK http://gsak.geocaching.com.au/ is a great program that will convert .loc files into .wpt. Works fantastic.......But that's not all it does. Check it out for sure!

Edited by Rosco Bookbinder

GPS Babel is what you are loking for! It's available from the main Geocaching site, just click through links>geocaching software>GPS Babel. It can convert from about 40 waypoint data formats to almost any other. Not a flashy prog, but it definitly will get the job done. I use it everyday so that the waypoints in the MeriPlat match the ones in the PDA.

Thanks for pointing me to GPSBabel, and it works great, but I did notice when I converted a GPX file to a MapSource file, and saved it, it didn't put a .mps extension on the saved file, I had to rename the file and add the .mps extension.

Thanks

Jim W

Edited by Jim W
when I converted a GPX file to a MapSource file, and saved it, it didn't put a .mps extension on the saved file, I had to rename the file and add the .mps extension.

GPSBabel names the files exactly what you specify you want them named. It doesn't rename them behind your back. If you want/need it named a certain way, you have to tell it that. (GPSBabel supports about 40 format and about ten of those are frequently named something.wpt and you really DON'T want it guessing formats from names or vice versa.)

I find it suprising that people find that suprising.

robertlipe, I didn't say that GPSBabel renamed the file, what I did say is it doesn't put an extention on the file name, and the only way you can add the extention is to right click the file and click rename and add the extention .mps

Even tho you have selected Garmin Mapsource Format

Jim W

25343723.jpg

Just because Microsoft likes to think they know better than you do doesn't mean everybody does. GPSBabel assumes you know what you're doing, so if you didn't put .mps on there, why should it assume you didn't mean what you said?

In the real world, "extensions" are meaningless. Programs and operating systems that depend on them are inherently broken. GPSBabel wasn't written for Windows originally, so it doesn't suffer from Windows' problems.

Edited by parkrrrr
I've tried using GPSbabel, it never works. Always get an error message!  :rolleyes:

Thank you for your very helpful report. Next time, please consider telling us what you're trying to do and what the error message says. :(

dadgum, sorry if i offended you. I was just stating that i had never gotten it to work. Was not asking anybody to solve the problems i was having. But if you would like to know, i would always get a syntax error 1. After seeing that screenshot, i think i got it to work, but very little is converted over.