Mapsource Question

Nuwati

I just bought Garmin Topo USA and loaded it onto my GPSr. I have Roads and Recreation...I should say had Roads and Recreation on my GPSr. When I loaded Topo it did away with the Roads and Rec data. It is my understanding that both can be used on the same GPSr though obviously not viewed at the same time. So how do I load the two of them? What's the deal with the program hierarchy? Is there a certain order that these have to be loaded? Thanx for your help.

Nuwati

Yup, when you load a new mapset, it erases the existing from the gpsr. But, use the map tool to select the TOPO maps you want - then switch the pcmaps you are using (at the top of the screen) to Roads and Rec and then use the map tool again to select those maps. Now - load both as one mapset! I really like these maps!

Cachew

Once loaded, however, there is a priority as to what map is being displayed. You didn't mention which GPS you use, but on my Vista, if All maps are selected, first Metroguide, then R+R and then Topo will display if there is more than one map loaded for a particular area. If you want specific type such as topo, then select ALL topo (as when you get to the trail) and ALL R+R when driving. I never select individual maps as that's a waste of time.

Good luck

Alan

Edited by Alan2

My experience is that the priority is based on the pull-down list in Mapsource's "select a product", usually alphabetically.

Preimum Mapsource products like Bluecharts and Fishing Hotspots are automatically installed in the top positions. I believe that standard products are listed in alphabetical order.

It's been talked about before, but you can select to display only maps from a particular Mapsource product by using the undocumented feature illustrated below:

090720.JPG

I hope this helps.

Edited by Rubberhead
My experience is that the priority is based on the pull-down list in Mapsource's "select a product", usually alphabetically.

Preimum Mapsource products like Bluecharts and Fishing Hotspots are automatically installed in the top positions.  I believe that standard products are listed in alphabetical order.

It's been talked about before, but you can select to display only maps from a particular Mapsource product by using the undocumented feature illustrated below:

090720.JPG

I hope this helps.

So what ammo did you use to bag those two screen dumps? <_<

Edited by Prime Suspect