Cache Log Upload Feature?

CompassCollector

I'm wondering if any consideration has been given to a feature which would permit users (perhaps a members-only feature?) to write cache logs offline, perhaps in RTF or CSV formats, and upload them in a batch, rather than hand-typing them on a web page?

Why not write your logs in Word then copy/paste to the site?

That's essentially what I do now, except I use CacheMate to MemoPad to PalmDesktop and cut-n-paste to the website.

I think a lot of people would use the feature if there was a published format (csv, xml, whatever) that would allow them to write and store their cache logs offline (on a PC, PDA, whathaveyou) and also allow them to upload multiple logs in one shot, rather than having to lookup and update each cache page separately. Not that I've had a personal need for such a feature... yet. :rolleyes:

Edited by CompassCollector
Why not write your logs in Word then copy/paste to the site?

Consider, for instance, the case of one cacher I know. He uses Watcher on a laptop while he drives around. If he could log the caches in Watcher right then and there, and Watcher could upload them once he got to a network connection -- by clicking "File/Upload logs", perhaps -- things would be quite nice. Others might want to make PDA apps that let you write your logs and then sync them to GCc. It's quite a nice idea, and being able to have it be just part of the program instead of having to copy and paste the log, fix the date, change the type, and all that... that would be sweet.

I'm sure the more ingenius developers can add logs to the site when you synch your palm or pocketpc.

Moving to the new codebase has some fringe benefits by a faster development cycle for these new features. It's just getting it all programmed is the hard part.

(Just to state the patently obvious, and for no other reason than to remind about something that could not possibly have been forgotten, we'll obviously need to know what the log types are and the cache types for which they apply, but of course, everybody already knows that. Still bears repeating, though.)

There will likely be a function that will return all the log types for a particular cache type.

That should work fine. To enable "offline logging" in Watcher, you'd just have to be connected so Watcher could fetch the typelist from GCc. Then Watcher would know what options to give you for the offline logging. When you go to upload your offline logs, Watcher would pull the new list and check the log types; if any were no longer available, Watcher would just ask what type you want out of the new list, otherwise, upload away. (Oh, and of course, if we upload a bad type, give us an nice error... that should take care of the uploading-during-type-changes race condition on our side.)

(Sure, musing out loud is not normally anything worthwhile, but I figure in this case other devels might be reading, and now they can see if all of us are on similar pages.)

Edited by ClayJar