Advice And Suggestions

capjap

I've never quite figured out that product. The Yellow SE model. Its not on Magellans site and only seems to pop up at the big retailers. If it does indeed have 16mb internal memory, then its comparable to a Meridian Gold. It doesn't mention what the Mapsend CD is, but in the accessories list below "Mapsend CD" is Canada S&D.

The Merdian Gold Special Edition Canada, which would be an identical package if the SE has 16mb and includes Canada S&D, and it goes for $360 - $50us rebate at gpscentral.ca or gpscity.ca. I think this might be a better route.

Edited by ertyu
The Merdian Gold Special Edition Canada, which would be an identical package if the SE has 16mb and includes Canada S&D, and it goes for $360 - $50us rebate at gpscentral.ca or gpscity.ca. I think this might be a better route.

This is what I got back in September and have not been disappointed. This was my upgrade choice when I wanted something with a few more features than my eTrex (yellow). I think with the price of about $300 it is a great value. The only Garmin choice with similar features & price would be a Garmin Legend and the MapSource Canada CD (correct me if I am wrong Garmin people), and that would run you about $375 or so. I think both units have WAAS and mapping. The Magellan is a LOT bigger than the Legend, which is an advantage (bigger display) or a disadvantage (portability) depending on your needs. There are also some that claim the Magellan will get better reception because the antenna is larger, and because it is a quad-helix rather than a patch. I can't really say I have noticed much difference, my eTrex never really had any significant reception problems.

If you just want a basic unit the Geko units seem to be alright spec wise, but I have not tried one. I have seen them, and the display is REALLY small.

Of course if money is no object the Garmin GPSMAP 60cs (should be available in the next couple months) is looking pretty nice.

I had a good buying experience with gpscentral.ca, you should check them out before you buy.

For more GPS info you can check out this site:

gpsinformation.net

Well,it's a discontinued model. At least it has 16 MB. The unit without a card has 2 MB, and CANNOT load maps within the internal memory

There are some better deals to be had. IF you trust eBay, look for a deal on a Magellan 330 that comes with all the accessories, even the US Mapsend cd

Sellthe US mapsend cd for about $45.00 USD, and you should be left with a cost of about $120 USD,and you'll have a carmount, pc cable, cig lighter etc... Magellan 330 has 16 MB built in

Then buy the Canada cd

You could also look for Meridians at discounters in the US. I bought one new for $100.00 USD, pc cable incl, but no memory

GPS Central and GPS City (both in CGY) have some pretty good prices depending on what you want, and their service is apparently excellent

Garmin Legend and the MapSource Canada CD (correct me if I am wrong Garmin people), and that would run you about $375 or so.

Yeah that Price about right. I like having the Mapsource infoe but the base map is very good. Without the CD you are looking about 250$ for a legend

I think both units have WAAS and mapping.  The Magellan is a LOT bigger than the Legend, which is an advantage (bigger display) or a disadvantage (portability) depending on your needs. 

THe display is bigger which is good but the resolution is lower which is bad.

I have no particular dislike for Mag, but the lower resolution adn bigger size were cons for me.

I am sure you will be happy with either product.

Greetings All

In December I bought a Garmin Etrex Legend for $189.00 (Included the GPS, Manual and Data Cable) from Busters in Brampton.

And this weekend passed I bought a Garmin GPSmap 76 for $299.00 (Included the GPS, Manual, Quick Ref Guide and Data Cable) at the HockShop in Orillia. I have found that if you visit the different cash converters / hock shops you can find very good deals on GPS units. And most will do layaway and offer a 30 day warranty.

So far I have been very happy with both units. :huh:

John

Garmin Legend and the MapSource Canada CD (correct me if I am wrong Garmin people), and that would run you about $375 or so.

Yeah that Price about right. I like having the Mapsource infoe but the base map is very good. Without the CD you are looking about 250$ for a legend

The basemap for either around my home in north-central Alberta is pretty empty so the Map CD is pretty much a must. Depending where you are the contents may be better. I figured why get a mapping GPS and not get the good maps for it.

I think both units have WAAS and mapping.  The Magellan is a LOT bigger than the Legend, which is an advantage (bigger display) or a disadvantage (portability) depending on your needs. 

THe display is bigger which is good but the resolution is lower which is bad.

I have no particular dislike for Mag, but the lower resolution adn bigger size were cons for me.

Yeah, the resolution is not very high on the Magellan compared to the Garmins I have seen. It is big enough to be easily read when it is mounted on my dash, which the eTrex was not (for me anyways). Of course my PDA with CF GPS is my usual in car GPS now, so thats less important to me.

I am sure you will be happy with either product.

Agreed, both are good units from all accounts, just depends which one best suits your needs and budget.