Puzzle Caches

Here's a brand new one that just popped up not far from my house. Looks like a good one, but I haven't tried it yet. I don't think the owner would mind if I linked to it.

Here's another one that has a good rep as an excellent puzzle cache. I haven't done this one either, but those who have, had nothing but good things to say about it, as well as this one by the same owner.

Edited by briansnat

We had a cache bash last summer and used a series of micro caches that had questions and answers that were in a multiple choice format. Each option had a set of coords. If you answered all three questions correctly, you were taken each step toward the cache. If you answered one incorrectly, you were sent to a penalty micro that had a second question to move you on. This took about 10 tubes that had screw on caps for the questions, and then a regular cache at the end. It was well received.

I made one puzzle cache that is proving to be a bit difficult. (Check my user page). I think the secret to making a puzzle that is both hard and good is to base the idea in the things that interest you.

To make the cache more pertenent to GeoCaching, it might also be related to getting around or finding things. Perhaps you could help people learn a particular concept that you learned from swimming, biking, etc.

I choose to allow cachers to confirm the final loacations and offered to help answer questions. Another approach is encode the answer either on the cache web page or on a remote page. This can be a bit problematic because, unless the page is secure, it can be a matter of hacking and not puzzle solving.

Whatever puzzle you come up with: it is always nice to list the parking lot coordinates. This way, cachers that do not or cannot solve the puzzle can enjoy the place!

A number of great cryptographic caches have appeared in the Vancouver BC area in the last several months. Some of my favorites:

Jenny

Kenny

Asterisks* and Meteoroids

The Rosabelle Cipher

umoC ap!s&ñ

Secret of the Hidden Dunes

I'm sure there are several more that I haven't done yet. I love a great puzzle cache, and hearing/seeing what others are doing in other areas. Sometimes it gives me a great idea for a cache of my own, as I did

here.

There is one real tuff one here in Southern California:

The Dragonfly Scrolls

There are 37 watching this one, the first note was posted back in August 02, and only 5 have found it since!!

Judge Crater is well known in our area for great puzzle caches. Many are letterbox hybrids, some are mystery:

Spy Ring

U101

Hide and Seek #1

Digraph

I placed one just to get back at him for all of the suffering he's put me through:

Judge Trogdor's Gate

As you seem to be in my neck of the woods, Wildearth, I suggest looking into caches by RSArizona and Wily Javelina.

Some of my personal favorites would have to be Wily's Giggles cache and Silny Bako Jeks' No Pocket Protectors.

Giggles in particular is one of the most evil caches I've ever done. :)

I've got one too : Good Evening

The Cow Spots

Edited by The Cow Spots

... and speaking o' puzzle caches...

My wife and I are putting together a multi that is based on alchemy. It is a multi that starts off with four micros that represent the four elements. The last container will contain "ancient texts" that I photoshopped that contain the clues that eventually lead to the last container - an ammo can. The last item can only be found by deciphering the clues.

This cache can be logged after hitting the four micros or the person can continue on for the last one and then log their find. To make this a bit more fun, there is a point system involved too. Everyone starts with 10 pts. In each of the first four caches is a riddle that the finder needs to solve. Each successful answer is 15 extra points. Of course this has to be on the honor system... but anyway... the last cache contains a phrase that the logger must email me to get credit for the final find and they get 30 points for that with a total of 100 points possible. I have photoshopped certificates that the cacher can access for the level they attain if they want.

Ok, so I was wondering... would anyone (who doesn't live in Nebraska or plan to hit any NE caches) want to run through a test of trying to decode my "texts?" It's a three part system where one decoded item leads to another and so on down the trail to the final coord being presented. I was thinking like having 2 or 3 people test this out. As thanks, you get access to the top level certificate (100 pts) :)

I gotta warn ya', these ain't easy and may drive you bonkers/mad. If not, then I need to ratchet them up!

Ok, so I was wondering... would anyone (who doesn't live in Nebraska or plan to hit any NE caches) want to run through a test of trying to decode my "texts?"

I volunteer! Oops, never mind! :)

Sounds interesting. I don't tend to do puzzle caches, but this is intriguing me, so I will likely take a shot at it when you get it placed. :)

As you seem to be in my neck of the woods, Wildearth, I suggest looking into caches by RSArizona and Wily Javelina.

Some of my personal favorites would have to be Wily's Giggles cache and Silny Bako Jeks' No Pocket Protectors.

Giggles in particular is one of the most evil caches I've ever done. :)

I've got one too : Good Evening

The Cow Spots

Hey CowSpots! Finally I hear somthing from anyone in my area. Thanks for the links to the puzzle caches. I agree RS Arizona and Wily have some pretty nasty puzzle caches up their sleeves. I have looked at yours before and find it very challenging. One of these days I will figure it out and give it a try. As I am 15, I am usually to busy to solve these puzzles with school, swimming, cycling and the like but all of those caches you linked me to are definatly on my hit list. Thanks for posting.

With every post of puzzle caches I get my brain gets more twisted. I have many many printouts of those cache pages trying to figure them out. Keep them coming, lets see how far we can strech my brain before I figure out a puzzle. I have yet to figure out ANY puzzle cache.