How Cold Is Too Cold

:DHow cold is too cold to be out geo-caching? I am just curiuos if anyone else is as crazy as I am. I was out in sub-zero temps hunting caches in pennsylvania this past week. As long as I am bundled well and don't have to hike more than a mile I think maybe 10 below,with no wind chill! Edited by programmer64
:DHow cold is too cold to be out geo-caching? I am just curiuos if anyone else is as crazy as I am. I was out in sub-zero temps hunting caches in pennsylvania this past week. As long as I am bundled well and don't have to hike more than a mile I think maybe 10 below,with no wind chill!

It's NEVER to cold to cache!

Recently here in WA we had a scheduled Cache Machine where an unknown number (thought to be around 50 or 60) cachers came and cached in what turned out to be a BLIZZARD! It wasn't real cold, only in the lower twenties, possibly upper teens, but we're definatly not use to weather like that around here.

Blizzard or not, many of us found in the neighborhood of 30 caches, and I've been told that some were in the 50's.

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

In Nebraska it is normal every winter to have some days with negative temps and a range of -40 to -80 windchill. That doesn't really bother me, but I do prefer to go when it is warm since enjoying a nice hike without shivering is part of the pleasure of caching for me. Right now, I am saving all the caches that are on nice hikes for spring and summer so that I can enjoy them to the full extent possible. I did find a cache in the cold today that had a short walk (maybe a mile round trip) and enjoyed the solitude of the park since no one was there. I also got to confirm that the outdoor ice skating area at the park is open.

Out in Western PA today I went caching, with a temperature of approximately 18 degress with a wind chill that made it feel like 6, and quick falling, almost blinding at times snow.

I can't say it would be an experience that would turn the average person on to geocaching, but for me, I found both the caches, and I'm happy...

when the temperature dips down below about 60 or so, we thin-blooded desert dwellers huddle around the fire and read the forums... that's just too cold, especially if there's a breeze blowing! I'm not caching if I have to put on a shirt over my T-shirt! :D (just a joke, I've lived in snowy and cold climates before (Colorado, Northern Idaho, etc... and I know what it's like..)

+50 / +10

New York tenants turn on the heat

Wisconsinites plant gardens

+40 / +4

Californians shiver uncontrollably

Wisconsinites sunbathe

+35 / +2

Italian cars don't start

+32 / 0

Distilled water freezes

+30 / -1

You can see your breath

You plan a vacation in Florida

Politicians begin to worry about the homeless

Wisconsinites eat ice cream

+25 / -4

Boston water freezes

Californians weep pitiably

Cat insists on sleeping on your bed with you

+20 / -7

Cleveland water freezes

San Franciscans start thinking favorably of LA

Green Bay Packers fans put on T-shirts

+15 / -10

You plan a vacation in Acapulco

Cat insists on sleeping in your bed with you

Wisconsinites go swimming

+10 / -12

Politicians begin to talk about the homeless

Too cold to snow

You need jumper cables to get the car going

0 / -18

New York landlords turn on the heat

Sheboygan brats grilled on the patio, yum!

-5 / -21

You can hear your breath

You plan a vacation in Hawaii

-10 / -23

American cars don't start

Too cold to skate

-15 / -26

You can cut your breath and use it to build an igloo

Miamians cease to exist

Wisconsinites lick flagpoles

-20 / -29

Cat insists on sleeping in your pajamas with you

Politicians actually do something about the homeless

People in LaCrosse think about taking down screens

-25 / -32

Too cold to kiss

You need jumper cables to get the driver going

Japanese cars don't start

Milwaukee Brewers head for spring training

-30 / -34

You plan a two-week hot bath

Pilsener freezes

Bock beer production begins

Wisconsinites shovel snow off roof

-38 / -39

Mercury freezes

Too cold to think

Wisconsinites button top button

-40 / -40

Californians disappear

Car insists on sleeping in your bed with you

Wisconsinites put on sweaters

-50 / -46

Congressional hot air freezes

Alaskans close the bathroom window

Green Bay Packers practice indoors

-60 / -51

Walruses abandon Aleutians

Sign on Mount St. Helens: "Closed for the Season"

Wisconsinites put gloves away, take out mittens

Boy Scouts in Eau Claire start Klondike Derby

-70 / -57

Glaciers in Central Park

Hudson residents replace diving boards with hockey nets

Green Bay snowmobilers organize trans-lake race to Sault Ste. Marie

-80 / -62

Polar bears abandon Baffin Island

Rhinelander Birkebeiner

Girl Scouts in Eau Claire start Klondike Derby

-90 / -68

Edge of Antarctica reaches Rio de Janeiro

Lawyers chase ambulances for no more than 10 miles

Minnesotans migrate to Wisconsin thinking it MUST be warmer

-100 / -73

Santa Claus abandons North Pole

Wisconsinites pull down earflaps

-173 / -114

Ethyl alcohol freezes

Only Door County cherries usable in brandy Manhattans

-297 / -183

Oxygen precipitates out of atmosphere

Microbial life survives only on dairy products

-445 / -265

Superconductivity

-452 / -269

Helium becomes a liquid

-454 / -270

Hell freezes over

-456 / -271

Illinois drivers drop below 85 MPH on I-294

-458 / -272

Incumbent politician renounces a campaign contribution

-460 / -273 (Absolute Zero)

All atomic motion ceases

Wisconsinites allow as to how it's getting a mite nippy to be out Geocaching

There are a bunch of us Virginian's working on a five star terrain and difficulty cache with five stages. It was 7 degrees last weekend and we were out tromping in the mud and water. This weekend it was a little warmer, in the 20s, and we were rafting on the shenandoah river at dawn. We had ice build-up on anything that touched the water. Our safety rope was stiff as a stick. My finger tips have finally recovered, I think. Cold? Hell yeah, but we're on a mission.

:D:o Got a great chuckle from The Cheeseheads degree posting, very clever! Here in AZ, we're of thin blood, and pretty much are freezing at 30 above. However, you from Wisconsin should experience four months of above 100 degrees in the summer(that's our bad season from May to September) when even your car's interior melts! So, we endure, you endure. The only place that is perfect is San Diego, and it's too expensive to live there anyway... :D

Well, my first caching experiences have not been successful. Been a member for a short time and have had several attempts at even what I figured would be easy finds. The last one I was wading through knee deep of snow down an embankment and as soon as I couldn't lift my feet out of the snow to advance, I figured the darn cache would be buried anyway, so I crawled back to the rig.

I'm still keeping the faith and waiting for that GLORIOUS moment when I can say.... LOOK AT ME, I FOUND A CACHE.

Montana Redneck Geocaching Wannabe if he Couldabe!

Hasn't been too cold for me to cache yet.

I have a reputation for going out in the cold very lightly dressed. One year it was -40 (f or c, take your pick) and I didn't wear a coat at all.

(the secret there is not to be out very long- Please don't try this at home)

If I ever cancel a caching trip because of cold, I'll be sure to post.

Well, Californians don't do much of anything when it's below 60 degrees

Sure we do :D We run to the hottub! :o

While I don't mind the cold (love to ski and play in the snow) my hat goes off to all of you cachers who are out there in freezing weather!

Heading up to Lake Tahoe soon and will try my hat at some snow caching for the first time. Hoping to not freeze my micros off :D .

(Picturing my wife playing the role of the daughter in Christmas Vacation when they were looking for hte tree. "I can't feel my feet"........"I can't feel my legs"......."I can't feel......."

I've skied at -28 F (real temp, not windchill...which is a bogus measurement, unless you're naked) with 40+ mph winds, so I don't forsee too many times I'd be hesitant to go geocaching because of the temps. Dress properly and you're set. The GPS may have problems with it below a certain temp though.

Edited by briansnat

>+35 / +2

>

>Italian cars don't start

My Fiat Tempra starts well in -32 Celcius.

>-15 / -26

Finns continue skiing and skating...

>-25 / -32

>Too cold to kiss

No it's not, I've tested it ... <_<

>Japanese cars don't start

They do start, had no problems with my ex-Nissan.

>-40 / -40

>

Some car tyres turn to cubes, yep, that's true...

Finns continue swimming in frozen lakes after sauna

>-100 / -73

>Santa Claus abandons North Pole

No way, he lives in Korvatunturi, in Finland.

>-458 / -272

I need more clothes when I'm geocaching.

>-460 / -273 (Absolute Zero)

Russians drink Absolut and claim it needs some ice...

I've skied at -28 F (real temp, not windchill...which is a bogus measurement, unless you're naked) with 40+ mph winds

Agreed! I roll my eyes when they make such a big deal over the wind chill. Recently, the media has been reporting wind chills and not so much the actual temperature. I wish just once they would properly explain wind chill instead of letting everybody get overly excited about it.

Salvelinus

I've skied at -28 F (real temp, not windchill...which is a bogus measurement, unless you're naked) with 40+ mph winds

Agreed! I roll my eyes when they make such a big deal over the wind chill. Recently, the media has been reporting wind chills and not so much the actual temperature. I wish just once they would properly explain wind chill instead of letting everybody get overly excited about it.

Salvelinus

Hardly bogus.

It has a very real impact on livestock and other animals, who have a somewhat limited wardrobe.

George

The temperature where the gps no longer functions would be my answer. It doesn't get all that cold here in NJ, but I've noticed my Vista has a much harder time acquiring satellites and also starts having display problems when the temperature gets down to the single digits/low teens F. But it works problem-free from the high teens F up.

Edited by BassoonPilot