A Question For The Approvers

pqcachers

I understand the 1/10th of a mile rule in placing a cache, but my question is this.....what if the spot is the first waypoint of a multi and not an actual cache. Will it still be disapproved?

I'm not trying to start a debate, I'm not going to argue with the answer, I'm just curious. Thanks in advance!!!

I just placed a multicache and asked the same question of my area approver. As stated to me, each stage of your multi must be at least 1/10 of a mile from any other cache, however your stages can be as close to each other as is feasible.

I imagine an approver could make exception to this IF the stage isn't likely to be confused for being part of another cache. I would definitely open some dialog with my approver before placing anything though.

I just placed a multicache and asked the same question of my area approver. As stated to me, each stage of your multi must be at least 1/10 of a mile from any other cache, however your stages can be as close to each other as is feasible.

That pretty much answers it, thanks. I had found a good hiding spot but its too close to a 1st waypoint of another cache.

Thanks Team GPS and Johnnie!

I imagine an approver could make exception to this IF the stage isn't likely to be confused for being part of another cache. I would definitely open some dialog with my approver before placing anything though.

The key words here are "from any OTHER cache". The stages of a multi cache are all part of the same cache. The stages can be closer than 1/10 of a mile to each other but not to ANOTHER cache.

Hope this clarifies your question.

John

Yeah, don't be stupid and make laminated cards or something with the next stage coordinates on it without having the cache approved first. You can ask the approver to hold listing the cache after he checks it so you can place it.

Sax said this because a cacher recently went balistic because he prepared a cache, preprinted a bunch of stuff, and was not approved. He caused a big stink and commotion all because he did not COMMUNICATE with his approver. Most concerns can be worked out if you reasonably communicate with the approver. Although, sometimes a great idea just won't conform to the guidelines. Just keep in mind a new or even better place will show up!

Here is a cut and paste of my email concerning the same issue. No biggy they are able to bend a bit if you have natural division of the area. I would assume

this to mean river, lake or major highways. Just submit it and include any helpful info for your approver. They want to see the caches out there too.

Thank you for your recent geocache submission. Unfortunately, geocaching.com cannot approve the cache as it currently exists.

Specifically,our concern is related to the close proximity to an existing geocache. Cache proximity to exiting caches is one of the many criteria used by the Admins when

approving a cache. The general rule is not to allow any cache to be hidden within 0.1 miles of an exiting cache, unless there is a natural barrier between the two locations.

Your new cache is currently less than 0.1 miles from another cache including the stages of a multi cache.

Belleville Bayshore Cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ff-9ee815cfcb81

Is there any way you could, or be willing to, relocate your cache to increase its separation?

We appreciate your enthusiasm and encourage you hide caches. However, please recognize we are only asking your cooperation in maintaining a reasonable standard in cache placement. Please refer to the following cache listing requirements for further explanation.

Edited by Cachengrab