Oga - Ontario Geocaching Association

The Blue Quasar

Announcing a new addition to the OGA web site.

There is a new page that allows you to search for nearest caches based on the city or town of your choosing.

The link for that is

http://66.207.113.44/oga/towns.asp

This new feature was initiated by White Owl and after they provided ALL of the co-ordinates of EVERY town in Ontario, Keith Watson our awesome web designer laid out the the info in a useful way and included links to local maps and the nearest caches from that point.

This tool will be very useful for people going on vacation or keeping informed about caches near the towns they are interested in.

I encourage everyone to check it out and try some towns, then drive and experience some new caches!

B) The Blue Quasar

On Mar 18th members of the OGA in Hamilton met with the Hamilton Conservation Authority. This initial meeting went very well and the HCA will be working on policies to allow geocaching to take place on their lands.

As we all know, one of the founding principals of geocaching is to receive permission to place a cache on land from the owners of that land. The HCA is drafting an 'Application to place a cache' style form for any future cache placements.

It was my impression that all of the policies should be worked out and in place for a great summer of caching.

The HCA came into the meeting very open and inquisitive. I am happy to say we had a very positive first contact and look forward to developing this arrangement.

Until such time as this policy is in place, the HCA has requested that no new caches be approved within HCA lands and they do not see any reason to remove any caches that are already in place. Cache-Tech has been informed of this temporary decision.

I am sorry if anyone feels that our meeting has had a negative impact on geocaching, but this step was necessary to ensure the continued use of HCA lands in the future. This approach shows the HCA that we would like to work with them and that drastic steps or outright banning is not needed.

The HCA also has stated that they expect that they will be assiting us with support from their staff when the new policies are in place.

Again, in keeping with my promise to keep everyone aware of discussions with land owners and managers, this forum post is being placed to that end.

B) The Blue Quasar

Edited by The Blue Quasar

It's good to see that some progress is being made with the HCA. I think is very positive news and am very happy to see that the are working with us.

Hopefully, some policies can be drafted that will help to maintain geocaching in the area and ensure that HCA lands are protected. Perhaps once some policies are in place these can be used to help sway the provincial parks people.

Thanks for the good work BQ.

www.geocachingontaro.com would like to be part of the Ontario Geocaching Association.

I think there has been some comments on www.geocachingontario.com

It is a tourism application of "geocaching."

There are no fees.

Yes, there are prizes, many offered by community hospitality suppliers and retailers.

Finding an cache is an "experience." In essence, every time a "geocacher" leaves their home community they become a tourist - something to think about.

You are invited to come north and find caches...

This is a project of FedNor (Industry Canada). I am offering and inviting you the Ontario Geocaching Association to hold an event and meeting here at the CEC www.canadianecology.ca, near North Bay, I can subsidize accommodation and food etc...we would like to help the association. :bad:

Glad to have you aboard. I have wanted to get a representative for the north for a while. Now we have a few.

Please feel free to contact me directly, or go to the OGA web page for more info. It is still under construction but looks FANTASTIC as it is already.

http://66.207.113.44/oga/

I know that I need to get building files for the site, along with other people. And hopefully I can get that done by the end of April.

:bad: The Blue Quasar

Now tht the OGA - CITO events have been completed, I plan on moving forward with drafting policies with the local conservation authorities to advance Geocaching for us.

And we need to get back to deciding on a URL for us, and T-Shirts and other items.

A newsletter would also be a nice feature to add. I am really hoping for an email from the hosts of the CITO events that we ran to add to the newsletter.

Anyone that wants to submit content to the potential newsletter, please send it to my email address directly and I hope to compile a pdf newsletter for the start of summer or maybe earlier.

[8D] The Blue Quasar

This is a project of FedNor (Industry Canada). I am offering and inviting you the Ontario Geocaching Association to hold an event and meeting here at the CEC www.canadianecology.ca, near North Bay, I can subsidize accommodation and food etc...we would like to help the association. <_<

I like the sound of CEC's offer!! I would love to attend an event there. Having stopped in and had a look, WOW! :tongue: First class cabins with computers and highspeed internet, great area to explore.

And subsidized by FedNor, hey that is like a tax refund!! :rolleyes:

www.geocachingontaro.com would like to be part of the Ontario Geocaching Association.

I think there has been some comments on www.geocachingontario.com

DNS error on both those domain names (though I think the first was simply due to typo).

Rick

In response to the "What new with OGA".... not much.

I have been fighting some kind of cold thing for over a month. Keeping me pretty tired I must say, barely even getting out caching.

At least I have done some maintenence on my own.

I keep saying this but hopefully I will be healthy soon and can devote some serious time to getting more developement on OGA.

Since this cold/sick thing is lasting much longer than expected I am hesitant to say when I will get back in the swing. But I am hoping for June 1st to get some new content up.

:D The Blue Quasar

I keep saying this but hopefully I will be healthy soon and can devote some serious time to getting more developement on OGA.

Since this cold/sick thing is lasting much longer than expected I am hesitant to say when I will get back in the swing.  But I am hoping for June 1st to get some new content up.

Evening, Blue Quasar. I'm jumping into the fray a tad late, but I would like to offer any assistance that I can in getting OGA operational. I've worked with a couple of charitable organizations (is this phrase still touchy wrt OGA?), have a background in photography and graphic design and I'm currently working as a Systems Admin. Do you have/need/want a Kingston-Area rep? I'm interested. :lol: Drop me a line and we'll talk.

Cheers,

....G

Edited by GordoTheGeek
Evening, Blue Quasar. I'm jumping into the fray a tad late, but I would like to offer any assistance that I can in getting OGA operational. I've worked with a couple of charitable organizations (is this phrase still touchy wrt OGA?), have a background in photography and graphic design and I'm currently working as a Systems Admin. Do you have/need/want a Kingston-Area rep? I'm interested. :lol: Drop me a line and we'll talk.

Hi Gordo. I'm the eastern ontario contact for OGA. Am interested in getting somethign going, perhaps we can organize somethign together. gdewis can probably be roped in to assisting as well.

Drop me a line! email is in my profile.

We've got a list of contacts :

OGA Contacts

I have been asked to work on a newsletter for the OGA so I am looking for submissions.

Today's Cacher has some neat stuff so maybe we could start it off with some favourite caches?

I enjoy reading logs of some of our local people who always manage to find the wrong side of the river and turn it into an adventure that would make Frodo (Lord of The Rings Hobbit guy for those of you who don't do movies) look like a wimp. :lol:

I enjoy reading logs of some of our local people who always manage to find the wrong side of the river and turn it into an adventure

Yeah, and then there are those who follow the instructions TO THE LETTER, and wind up hundreds of metres from the cache, in the middle of a swamp! eh Annie?! :lol:

-TT-

News from OGA

OGA is currently developing the following.....

A newsletter to be available by the Labour Day weekend

The OGA 2004 Annual General Meeting at the CEC for 02 Oct 2004

T-shirts and patches for sale

Developement of Regional Web Pages on the OGA site.

<_< The Blue Quasar

We are still planning on sitting with the HCA regarding the new Geocaching Policies that are been incorporated for Hamilton. Things look very good so far.