Oga - Ontario Geocaching Association

The Blue Quasar

I too like the Trillium in the middle of the Compass Rose.

I honestly was going to say "No trillium" until I saw TT's latest and greatest.

However, I completely agree with Res2100 too, I like the Compass Rose turned with N being at about 345 degress instead of at the top. Or better said, the points being aligned through the Ontario symbol.

But I will gladly take up TT on his offer to dazzle us tonight during the chat, always gotta love a show!

:lol: The Blue Quasar

Man that is a beautiful thing you made TT.

Thanks for being so patient with all of us. It is well worth doing it right, and you did such a good job.

Now that the logo has been resolved we need to get the full content on the OGA web site and have an official release of the OGA web site here in the forums.

I also want to thank everyone that helped decide on the logo, the opinions were flying around and it's great that everyone got their say in.

;) The Blue Quasar

I like the logo, but there is something not quite right about it. Maybe it's just me but I think it would look better if the trillium were aligned with the first leaf pointing straight up at 90 degrees instead of following the compass.

As it stands now, the logo kind of makes me want to tilt my head to look at it for some reason, and maybe a slight rotation of the trillium in the center of the compass would resolve this.

Thanks

DirtRunner.

I didn't get to participate in the online chat, due to work.

I love the logo, but have to agree with DirtRunner that the trillium should be rotated but I also think the compass rose should be rotated to acurately reflect North in relationship to Ontario.

Any thoughts?

Edited by MedicP1

Interesting link, I've been spammed by them a few times in regards to what they are doing.

If anyone signs upit'll be interesting to know ifyou actually win something or just become another person on another spam/marketing list. It comes across to me as one of those "Hey you won 2 nights at....just come up and start filling in the forms..."

Anyway good luck to any who try it :lol:

Keith aka Bear

:P Interesting perspective.

I've met the fellow in charge. They are just promoting travel in Northern Ontario. The prizes are legit! The caches are fun and some caches have really good prizes.

I'm surprised you think they spammed you.. I never have been ,

and I've logged quite a few of their caches.

They have a privacy policy

http://www.geocachingontario.com/privacy_statement/index.htm

Just an option for those up this way. :P

Edited by murfster

I have some minimal contact with them as well. I received info regarding the funding that they received from the government to promote Northern Ontario Tourism.

Once I heard that I felt that they might not be a good contact for OGA, only because I didn't want to have a conflict of interest. Also I didn't want the OGA to appear as coming in with our hands out, as that is not the case.

OGA has never been designed to receive government grants or anything similar.

But I am sure they are legitimate since they have support of a few government agencies and their mandate is clear.

I too have had the semi-spam style email, but I think that calling it full blown spam would be over reacting. They may have a form letter, and I applaud them that they contact cachers they come across that could provide them with contact to draw people northward.

:) The Blue Quasar

(You'll never know if you don't go!)

This Wednesday night, if Keith Watson is fine with this, I have a few OGA topics to bring forward for open discussion.

Specifically... I've received Email back from Geocaching.com about .loc files and also from EasyGPS about post .loc files.

Basically, EasyGPS said (paraphrasing follows) "I fully approve of anyone posting .loc files created wiht EasyGPS. However, you may wish to use .gpx files since this is an open source file format, as .loc files will be discontinued in future versions of EasyGPS. The referrence to copyright is a carry over from the early days when Topografix was posting files and has never been taken out, ignore it."

I have the exact email still, and once a resolution is made I will forward it as required to Keith Watson and any other interested party that requests it.

However... Geocaching.com has stated that we can post .loc files but they cannot contain any co-ordinate data. So basically all the info would be there but you couldn't transfer it to your GPS for use.

So we need to decide if we still want to catalogue all of the Ontario Caches without co-ordinates, in one of any number of ways like spreadsheets or a database, a text file, or still with a loc file or gpx file without co-ordinates. Or just ditch that idea and come up with something new and radical.

There is an iron in the fire already that has been developed by White Owl and Keith Watson, but I still would like a resource for people wanting to have better local cache info at a glance, like a spreadsheet.

And we need to discuss an official web site, any additions to what we have, merchandise, how to get funds to operate the web space, the upcoming CITO events and maybe even something fun.

Whew.... see what happens when I'm sick for a week?

Is any of this open for discussion before Wednesday's chat night? Since it is fresh on my mind right now (and I have been thinking about it's benefits if any since it was first mentioned), I have some thoughts on the .loc files. My understanding is that there will be a .loc file for each region, correct? And each of these .loc files will contain all of the cache waypoints within that region.

The thought of it sounds good and it wouldn't hurt to have, but how do you get a .loc file for a specific region without it overlapping to other regions? Would there be a lot of manual process be involved to create such a file? I am curious as to how much work would be involved to create such files every week.

Now before we go spending the time to create these files, would it really be of benefit to anyone. Usually I just go to the list of all Ontario caches at the following link which I have in my favorites (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?state_id=69), or sometimes I do a search on all caches within 100 miles of my home coordinates that I haven't found/hidden. Between these 2 searches, it gives me everything I need, and is always up to date. And every week I just load the newly placed caches into my GPS. Now the only drawback I come across with this for me is that after 6 months, I still have many caches on my GPS that have probably been archived or have had coordinates updated, but that doesn't cause much problem anymore, since I almost always plan my caches ahead of time the night before and make sure everything is ok with them. And perhaps every 6 months or more I clear out all the waypoints and start fresh.

So for me I don't really see any benefit for having a list of Ontario/regional caches, and maybe that is because I have done a good number of them in my caching area. So perhaps it would be beneficial to a new user or someone visiting Ontario. Perhaps there is something that I am just not seeing that someone can enlighten me on, or maybe I just answered my own question in the last sentance.

I don't know that I would find any benefit with the .loc files. I have paid my $ to gc.com and I get my bi-weekly pocket queries in .gpx format. I use them for my PDA (CacheMate) and convert them for MapSend with GSAK. I also use the same method as res2100 - (it's a link on my browser - "Local Unfound") to view the huge amount of local ones that I haven't managed to get yet.

Are these .loc files for us or are they sorted and available for visitors (tourists) to the various Ontario regions? Maybe we could post long/lats of the centre of the region or cache of the week (although that might be too much to maintain?) I'll have a look at other clubs and see what they are doing.

I can see GC.com's point about not posting loc files with coordinates in them and I agree with res2100 and Annie that they would be of limited benefit - should always encourage cachers to get the latest information by going to the source.

On the other hand there are several things would be helpful and aren't currently available from GC.com. Things like:

- Maps of areas in Ontario with cache locations shown that you can click on and get to the source cache page. Very helpful if you plan to visit an area and want an idea of cache locations and cache density.

- Additional info that would be helpful that isn't necessarily on the cache page. Cache Attributes for example. Be useful to know about winter access, any fees required, dogs/bikes allowed, location of the nearest Tim Horton's etc etc....

- Cache ratings/nominations/recommendations of the best caches in an area. Very useful if you are visiting an area and have limited time available.

- Caches in an area needing maintenance/clean-up/recovery

- Calendar of upcoming Ontario events

- Ontario media articles, advice on requesting permission, sample letters etc

- Related activities - Ontario benchmarking

- Ontario stats

- And of course a forum for discussing things specific to Ontarian geocachers.

I don't see not being able to post .loc files as a huge issue. we could provide links to the gc.com search results for the various areas. I know I like to pick and choose which caches I want in the .loc file anyhow.

We could maybe provide a map of the different regions with the caches indicated?

Maybe just a list of caches and a field where people can post reviews/recommendations about the caches?

Hello all.

I am new to geocaching in Ontario as I just moved here from the UK (although I am a native Ontarian). I am hoping to do my first Ontario geocache this weekend.

If you are thinking about how to organize stats and things on a webpage, check out geocacheuk.com. This was an absolutely fabulous resourse I used when caching over there. It might be worth talking to thecat and teasel about their agreement with geocaching.com.

I applaud your efforts in working with organizations to get approval for geocaches. In the UK, that is the territory of the geocaching association of Great Britain (www.gagb.com). They have had their share of growing pains but seem to be on track now negotiating with forestry commissions and county councils.

Good luck with all of it and once I am a little more settled here I am sure I will offer some of my time.

Dolfun

I am new to geocaching in Ontario as I just moved here from the UK (although I am a native Ontarian).  I am hoping to do my first Ontario geocache this weekend.

Welcome back home! I agree that geocachinguk.com is a great resource and a good model for a region web-site. I've done a bit of caching in the UK and used it a lot. The interactive tube map is awesome if you're caching in London. Join in the Wednesday night chat and meet some more Ontarian cachers.

Welcome back home!  I agree that geocacheuk.com is a great resource and a good model for a region web-site.  I've done a bit of caching in the UK and used it a lot.  The interactive tube map is awesome if you're caching in London.  Join in the Wednesday night chat and meet some more Ontarian cachers.

Thanks for the welcome. It is good to be back. I may check out the chat next week - busy night tonight.

Happy caching.

~Dolfun

Does anyone have any objections to the following ideas before I post them in places other than the geocaching.com forum.

----Raising funds to purchase a domain name for the OGA web site (remember I am very unclear on this aspect)

----Production of OGA T-shirts for sale through the OGA web site, and also at the CITO events across Ontario and possibly event caches like GNASHERS or GAGAFAP or similar that are hosted by people working with OGA

Again, I repeat that OGA is NOT FOR PROFIT, and any such income would be channeled back into the geocaching community. I have no interest in turning the OGA into a cash enterprise.

OGA is for CACHE, not CASH!

:rolleyes: The Blue Quasar

What would you need in the way of numbers for the event Hard Oiler? I wonder how many we should get printed up for GNASHERS02.

It seems to me that a PAYPAL thing might be best for the OGA site, that way everything is tracked.

I know I might live to regret this, but here goes.....

What colour(s) should the shirts be available in? Just white? Long and short sleeve, or just short. Do we want just T's for now, or should we think about sweat shirts too?

I have a place that can do this stuff, but I need to look into it. I'll try to do that tomorrow.

:lol: The Blue Quasar

Edited by The Blue Quasar

Hey guys,

If you are looking for someone to help with dealing with government I'd be interested in helping advance our hobby. I'm a light weight in the hobby (doing two caches last summer (waiting for the sun to come back now B))) but a VP at the association level in both the PC Party of Ontario and Conservative Party of Canada.

I have a lot of contacts (as its what I do for a living) in government and I'd love to help out advancing this great hobby.

Let me know, I can be reach at rjo@rynet.com

Great to see you coming forward RJO, and as you may be able to tell from our web page we are still in the developement phase. Our web guru is doing a great job especially with all of the input he is receiving from various people within the OGA.

Naturally we are not in a position to align ourselves with any provincial political party and the current situation regarding Ontario Parks is being handled by Cache-Tech. C-T will hopefully invite us to participate in future discussions if and when they occur.

But any support you would like to give the OGA as a member would be fantastic. Be it organizing a CITO event for our area or helping prepare guidelines in addition to the ones we already have, or other areas that we haven't thought of.

Case in point, White Owl came up with a very effective TOWNS idea that has received huge raves! So any additional content would be appreciated.

As was stated by Trimbles Trek in the OGA - CITO thread....

Revision 6e is the FINAL revision.

So with that I am saying, as the current Administrator of the OGA....

This version shall not be altered without the written consent of Trimbles Trek AND the Administrator the OGA.

Use of this Logo for personal reasons, and not for commercial or other profit generation is NOT permitted.

Use of any previous version of an approved OGA logo should be discontinued and updated to reflect the current and only supported OGA logo. That being Revison 6e.

Great to see you coming forward RJO, and as you may be able to tell from our web page we are still in the developement phase. Our web guru is doing a great job especially with all of the input he is receiving from various people within the OGA.

Naturally we are not in a position to align ourselves with any provincial political party and the current situation regarding Ontario Parks is being handled by Cache-Tech. C-T will hopefully invite us to participate in future discussions if and when they occur.

But any support you would like to give the OGA as a member would be fantastic. Be it organizing a CITO event for our area or helping prepare guidelines in addition to the ones we already have, or other areas that we haven't thought of.

Case in point, White Owl came up with a very effective TOWNS idea that has received huge raves! So any additional content would be appreciated.

I was not thinking of lining yourselves up politically, I act for several organizations on a neutral capacity as a government relations type. I'd be willing to help in that capacity with the OGA as well.

When it comes to hobby lobbying its none partisan, its serving the best interest of the community :rolleyes:

Any my offer is for hosting the site if its needed ever :blink:

I'll take a look around the site and at whats going on and get involved other wise as well :)

Oops, well it appears that I have to dig myself back out of a bit of a hole.

The page that Keith Watson and White Owl have been building is not finished yet, the list of towns is complete to the end of Q towns.

So when that is completed I'm sure the page will be available.

But the idea by White Owl was to make available a listing of all the towns in Ontario and have the GPS co-ordinates for them. Keith has added a few links like to the map of the town and also nearby caches. There is also a contact person for each, but sadly they all say me right now.

:D The Blue Quasar

The Terms of Use on the OGA Web site covers all use of the logo, as Keith Watson has also said above.

Yes, but the terms are not reflective of what has been intended, which is what I have been trying to point out.

No information on this Web site may be reproduced or modified in any form or by any means without the prior written permission from Ontario Geocaching Association or the original owner of such indicated content.

This is very specific and very restrictive and absolutely conradictory to what I have been led to believe was intended. My understanding is that the logo would be available to members/users for non-commercial use. The "Terms of Use" would not even allow me to use the logo as desktop wallpaper, or to advertise the OGA from my own web-site, or to make a T-shirt, "without the prior written permission... ".