Direct Route

SBPhishy

That should work ok...at the time you generate a detail map file, DR prompts you for the serial number of the GPSr that the file will be used on. I am pretty sure (I haven't done it myself, but I think I remember someone confirming they did it) that you just change the number if you want to use the file on another unit.

So the files themselves can only be used on a single unit, but you can produce different files for different units.

not wanting to rain on your parade here, but what you are proposing is frankly another form of software piracy. most manufacturers only allow the software to be used by the person purchasing it, not friends, relatives and others. this is just another iteration of "copying the disk", except you don't copy the disk.

garmin (yes, i know directroute is a magellan product) does allow you to load their software on up to 2 gps's but it is explicitly stated in the license agreement that you must be the owner of both units.

read the magellan license agreement - i am sure they do not allow what you are trying to do here... i would not be surprised if they allowed 2 gps's but undoubtedly you would need to own both.

I just thought it would be neat to compare the two in speed, route decisions, recalc times, map accuracy, easy of following, etc... The regions whould not even have to be an area that I use to judge most of that, and I was kind of making light of it (not really expecting anyone to do what I hinted).

Wyatt W.

Yeah, in another thread I mentioned that if what I am asking about (loading the software onto 2 gps's) was not okay to talk about and no one said anything, so I didn't really consider it to be any sort of copywrite infringement. But if it is, then forget everything I asked. I don't want to cross any lines here or anything...

sorry :D

lol SB you're asking all the tough questions... :D (don't step there! we're still not out of the minefield...)

seriously - read the license agreement - then you can come back here with some good info that i'm sure many of us will find valuable. in the meantime i'll see if i can find one that someone owns so i can read what it says also.

Edited by Vlad

To play devil's advocate here, they don't really know if you own it or not. Also, What if my dad actually gave me his meridian for a little while. complete transfer of ownership. Then i realized I didnt want it anymore, and i gave it back to him. :o I'm just kidding so please dont close my thread again. But, see, that seems to be a loophole.

Sometimes I amaze myself....

Haha :D

I have a Meridian Platinum and a Color and was told by Magellan support that you could switch cards from one to the other. You can't! You can switch serial numbers and load the region to a different GPSr. I loaded a 59 MB region into my Platinum and it took about two hours. I then loaded the same region on to a card for my color via a card reader/writer and it took only a few minutes. That's the way to go.

Right. I use an SD card reader and it definitely makes all the difference. I just got it today. I drove around till I got lost, and let Direct Route get me home. It worked! The beeping is so horrible though. It beeps a quarter mile before the turn, then like .20 miles, then at the turn. I don't need all those reminders! I'm not completely incompetent!

You know, i payed more attention today. I think it resets it at 250 feet. I even turned off the proximity alarm every time and it always turns it back on to 250 ft. The alarm stays off all the time. I wish the same thing would apply for the back light. stupid thing is always on.

Other than that, Direct Route is awesome. It has shown me some crazy routes and most of them are better.

I mentioned that, but probably not strongly enough in my review. Any alarm going off (and on directroute, turns are apparently implemented as a new kind of alarm) will basically hijack most of the user settings, including proximity distance.

Even if you aren't using DR, but lose fix (assuming you have it active) or even do something as simple with 5.x firmware as removing the unit from external power (which is an alarm we've NEVER been able to disarm) an alarm will fire and your map settings (orientation, detail, backtrack line, pos-dest, depart-dest, proximity, and others) will get squished. It makes it a real pain in the butt when you're trying to find your way on foot back to the car and your backtrack log has to be flipped on.

5.x needs to learn the difference between ITS settings and MY settings and quit hosing MY settings when a street route isn't active. (Actually, I wish it would quit vaporizing detail level when it IS active...)

Well it was a little too cold to go Skiing tonight (5.2°F) so I took my Meridian Color for a short ride with the proximity set to 100Ft. It still beeped at .25 Mi. and when I got to my destination the poximity shut off. However the track lines stayed on the map. I don't know. I guess we will just have to live with it for now. Other than that the program works great. I am not going to get bent out of shape over a little beeping . But it would be nice to have a little more control over it.

The only problem(s) I have had is the fact that you have to have the cd in the computer to run the program. I have 2 computers. One at home, one at my office. I now am relagated to bringing the cd back and forth every day. The old Mapsend software didn't require that. The other thing is that you will need to reset your map detail, as it will default back to a much lower setting when you do the upgrade.

lol SB you're asking all the tough questions... :D (don't step there! we're still not out of the minefield...)

seriously - read the license agreement - then you can come back here with some good info that i'm sure many of us will find valuable. in the meantime i'll see if i can find one that someone owns so i can read what it says also.

Welcome to the real world.... :D

Yeah, Vacman, that does suck about having to use the cd every time.

Are there seriously still people in the world who would turn down a copy of a program, and actually go buy it? Maybe it's the older generation. Mine sure as hell doesn't give a dadgum about copywrite laws.

"If you don't get caught, then you're not doing anything wrong" seems to be the consensus. Or wait... Maybe that's just me... :blink: