Starting A Cache In My Front Yard

YodaDoe

Hello folks, I fairly new to geocaching. I decided it's as much fun (maybe more) to start a cache than to find them. So I decided to start small and put one in my own front yard. I was curious if anyone else has started a cache on their own property.

I will say that I have a fairly small front yard and the cache is about 3 feet from the street. And the description I gave makes it fairly easy to find. It is well hidden from anyone walking by -- only visible if you're standing in the yard. I did request that people hunt only in the daytime, stay off the neighbors property, stay out of the backyard, stay off the front porch, and not to bother us in the house unless there's something wrong with the cache.

If anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to hear 'em. I started the cache with a logbook and pencil, a few kiddie toys, a Grateful Dead live mix tape, a cheap electronic organizer, a couple of $2 bills with wheresgeorge.com markings, and a silly pen. It's in a Ziploc bag inside a plastic container.

Anyway, thanks for the input...

YodaDoe

Commendable, but I have to tell you I have tried to do these type of caches a couple of times but just couldn't do it! Most recently here. There is something very queer about walking around on somebody else's property. Although, I have noticed many others don't seem to have this problem at all.

I did a couple of front yard caches in Eugene this past week. One was a micro tucked up in an arbor next to the road and another was stuffed in a bush that was also next to the road. Sometimes it's a challenge in a residential neigborhood just to find the right road in.

We live in the country and placed the Automated Cache Machine in our driveway. Actually it is a short multi. They can be lots of fun. Heck they're all fun.

If the yards are small, as most are, I would really like to see something like a checksum on the address of the property and/or something like a small "geocaching parking" sign on a tree near the curb. Something that would indicate "This Yard" rather than that yard. I have done a few caches like this and was always worried about the good neighbors coming out to investigate or worse yet calling the police because of prowlers. **glenn

Don't forget to advise your neighbors, or they may end up calling the police on seekers.

And, you may consider locking the cache (after bolting it down) with a combination lock whose combination is on the cache page. (Or even in a riddle) This will cut down on the vandalism by neighbor kids, as everyone in the area will know about it within a day or so.

Overall, this is probably not a great idea.

We have one of these near us. It was started by one of the big time local cachers specifically to help them meet other cachers in the area. When my wife and I finally did this cache we almost got away scott free but the Mrs. of the house caught us red handed! :huh: We missed the Mr. of the house but it was nice to speak with the Lady.

The only real issue for this couple is they posted in the cache to please only come during daylight hours. B)

Good luck.

Team P2

We have one cache that is in someones back yard. The unique thing about it is that there property is right along a city park. Access is over the fence from the park. (You don't have to climb the fence just reach over.) The cache is cleverly hidden to look like something it isn't and is locked with a combo lock. The cache page gives clues as to the lock combo. Some people have been lucky enough to have the hiders come out and visit, I wasn't so lucky.

Thanks for all the comments, folks. In answer to your questions:

1. I mention in the description that my yard is the one with the kiddie swing hanging from the tree.

2. The cache is only a few feet from the street, and my yard is really small anyway, so they shouldn't feel too intrusive.

3. I have told my neighbors about it.

4. It's not visible from the street, so it shouldn't be vandalized too quickly.. I hope.

Well, this will be a learning experience, I think. Good luck to me...

YodaDoe

Yesterday I drove over 100 miles to do 2 caches in the hinterlands of South Dakota. The first one was fine, but the second was taking me to the front door of a ranch house. I had a large dog with me and I could see a smaller one guarding the front gate of the house. I think the cache owner put his home coordinates on the cache by mistake because the Cache description said to stop at the second car gate and I had to get to the fourth to get within walking distance of the coordinates. I could see by the profile that the owner had never found a cache, and had joined last week.

Edited by 1setter

I was talking to Ironman114 the other day and asked him about putting a cache in our driveway. We live in a rural area, live up on a hill and have a wonderful veiw of the hills around us. But Ironman114 thought this would not be a good idea. For one we have neighbors just above us and we don't know if they would go for it. Also, we have 2 Brittanys that bark when someone comes up the driveway and some people are afraid of dogs. Even though they are big marshmellows others don't know that. I can understand now why this wouldn't be a good idea. Just thought it would be nice to see faces behind the Avitars. :huh:

Hello folks, I fairly new to geocaching. I decided it's as much fun (maybe more) to start a cache than to find them. So I decided to start small and put one in my own front yard. I was curious if anyone else has started a cache on their own property.

Just a few quick thoughts.

According to your profile, you've never actually found a cache, so....

A: How do you KNOW if it's more fun to hide then to seek?

B: If you've never found a cache, good or bad, how do you know what would make a good cache for others to find?

For the record, I am one who would be very uncomfortable finding a cache in someone's yard, especially someone with no geocaching track record.

I passed on a cache this weekend because even though I could drive to within 50ft, there was no legal parking anywhere nearby. It was very tempting, and the cache has lots of finds, but I passed.

It would be different if it was someone who was an active cacher. Someone I've met at events and on the trails. Someone who's hid other caches, and seeked out my hides. Right or wrong, I'd be more inclined to trust Briansnat (SCARY!) then someone with no other finds or hides.

According to your profile, you've never actually found a cache, so....

A: How do you KNOW if it's more fun to hide then to seek?

B: If you've never found a cache, good or bad, how do you know what would make a good cache for others to find?

Well, I can see how those would be concerns. FWIW, I have participated in hunting geocaches before with friends. So I'm not a total newbie with no clue. I only just registered here yesterday so that I could place a cache of my own. I also explicity state that the cache is in my front yard. So if someone like you who is loathe to enter private property comes upon my description here at the site, they would know from the beginning what is entailed. Thanks for your thoughts, though.

YodaDoe

This one is right in my yard. But the instructions are clearly written where it is, just so nobody feels alarmed.

I went looking for one today and without clear and precise clues I wouldn't even get out of the Car because on the same corner is the Neighbor Hood Watch Sign, and I'm not looking some some trouble just a cache, so I just left. I'll EMail the owner and see what the story is and maybe go back some day.

In my opinion, providing coordinates on a public web site that will bring someone to a person's front door is risky. I have noticed that you have offered counter arguments for most of the comments stated previously, but you need to be aware that not everyone who visits the geocaching.com web site is someone you would invite to your home. You need not worry about 99.9% of them/us, but you can never tell which one is that 0.1% person. I believe you will be way ahead to find a good spot for a cache in a public area or in a park

We have one cache that is in someones back yard. The unique thing about it is that there property is right along a city park. Access is over the fence from the park. (You don't have to climb the fence just reach over.) The cache is cleverly hidden to look like something it isn't and is locked with a combo lock. The cache page gives clues as to the lock combo. Some people have been lucky enough to have the hiders come out and visit, I wasn't so lucky.

Do you mean this cache? I did it this morning. The combo lock was frozen solid, so I had to hold it in my hands til it warmed up (hey, that sounds kinda weird). :huh:

Do you mean this cache? I did it this morning. The combo lock was frozen solid, so I had to hold it in my hands til it warmed up (hey, that sounds kinda weird). :huh:

That would be the one. Did you get to meet Todd or Tracy?

By the way next time you are in KC check out the cache near my home called Knarley Cache Dude.

We don't do them for many of the same reasons others don't. We passed one by just today for that very reason. The cache description didn't even say they owned the property.

Someone told us at a recent get-together that they stood on the porch of their trailer and watched us look :huh: , that made us feel kind of creepy. We didn't do their cache to provide them with a laugh and will have second thoughts about doing any more of theirs.

We have passed on urban caches where the owner said it was placed so that it could be observed from their office. Again that creepy feeling of being watched kept us away.

We enjoy placing caches for others to have fun searching not to have a laugh at their expense.

Jim & Deb

We knew of someone that did this as a way to get back at a person that was not liked and as a practical joke they created a screen name 0 hides / 0 finds and posted the cache in this guys front yard, am sure it was fun all except the poor guy trying to figure out why strange people were coming into his yard, remember a give away gps hunt in PA that went way wrong, police and everything

There should be some type of guideline like you have to find so many before you can place one, not meaning that the original poster is doing anything wrong.

My 2cents

The final stage of a 2-part multi is in a tree in my front yard. The first stage is around the corner about .25 miles from the house. I thought it would be a cool idea, and went with it. Although quite easy, I think it scares people away because it's in a front yard. The neighbors across the street (+ 2 houses in either direction) are aware, and those adjacent to my house are so reclusive that they don't need to know. The likeliest times that someone would come search are times that all the kids are outside playing, not helping matters much at all. :D Maybe I should up the difficulty a bit.

Well, the cache is now listed and one person has found it already (GCHH2X). I've changed a few things in the description based on everyone's comments and suggestions, so thank you for that. Despite the risk of having strangers allowed on my property, I'm going to keep the cache active for a while. If things get sketchy, I'll move it to the park a few blocks away, I guess. Cheers!

YodaDoe

No, I did not meet the cache owners. It was early of the morning and near 20 F so I doubt they felt like getting out in the cold. I did like the cache idea. Had the cache been located next to their house or within plain view of a large window, etc I probably would not have liked it as much.

By the way next time you are in KC check out the cache near my home called Knarley Cache Dude.

Thank you for the invitation. I live in Overland Park, so Liberty area is not too far away. I'll try to get up there before spring.

PS-I saw where you left an arrowhead (my signature item) in this cache. Curious where you might of picked up the arrowhead. We should probably take this to e-mail so others don't get bent out of shape for being OT. :D

I have one in my front yard and the responses have been great for the most part. I have had a couple of people who were not comfortable hunting it, even though the cache page states that the owners of the place are geo-friendly and the cache is near the end of the driveway. I live in a rural setting so there is no chance of wandering into the wrong yard, unless your gpsr is showing a quarter mile off. As far as hunting residentials, I absolutely do it. If there is a problem, quick talking and the truth will usually clear up any misunderstanding. It is very rare that i will pass up any cache for any reason. Althoughj I did pass up one in Kansas this week that was in a park for a condo development that literally had dozens of "No Trespassing" signs all through the park, and two officers parked in the entrance. I could not quite figure that one out, an obvious park with no trespassing.

Is there really anything of interest on your front lawn: a nice view, intersting hike, something of historical interest?

If not, I think I'd pass on this one.

Nope, nothing interesting at all. This one's just a geocache for its own sake. My folks own some property down in South Carolina on top of a hill that is the highest spot in the county. There are three benchmarks and a great view of the moutains, foothills, and piedmont. Next time I go down for a visit, I may set up something for that location... but until then, this one's just your average kid-friendly geocache with toys, gadgets and trinkets.

YodaDoe

P.S. What is the Piedmont? It's not in Italy...

That's a great cache, though I did feel odd unlocking something in someone's back yard, even if it is through the fence.

Aah...Knarley Cache Dude...my current nemesis cache...

I will get back up there to find it. Those Not Founds drive me crazy!!

Morgan of TeamTJ

I've seen one that was in a birdhouse.  It was hanging from a tree, right next to the sidewlak in front.  You had to lift off the roof to get teh cache inside.

Yeah, I found one like that in Wichita. It was a very clever hide because the birdfeeder still had feed dispensing to the exterior so you walked up to it and thought no-way could a cache be inside that thing. Think again ...

edit - spelling (as usual).

Edited by clearpath

I don't mind the idea of being watched as I hunt. I just hope that if I'm being real stupid and can't find it that the owner would come out and give a hint or something. I don't think that I would go into a yard though, reach over a fence maybe. I would do one accross the street in the field from my house if it wasn't just developed.

Nope. Not something I would do. Posting your home coords or address on the internet is a very bad idea, IMO.

So if I wanted to break into your house and steal your computer or whatever, all I would have to do is watch for you to start logging finds from your hotel room next to Disneyland. Then, knowing that you're not home, I go raid the house. :D

And like others have said, if I was to happen upon a cache like this, I would skip it unless I knew the hider personally.