Lost A Member Of Our Team

mrmnjewel

Team MRMnJewel is saddened to announce the death of the elder member of our canine division. Pamela the dachshund passed away on Thursday, January 15, 2004 at the age of 11. It was very sudden, very unexpected, and we are still kind of reeling a bit. Some of you may find this a frivolous topic, but she was part of the family, part of our team, and we will miss her forever.

I would like to pay a well deserved tribute to a great geocaching team.

Duane and Chiboy.

This was the last picture taken of our dog Chi on the day of his death. Five hours later, on August 12, 2003, Chi was hit by a car in front of our home and was killed. He was a great dog to our whole family. He loved each and every member, including the cats. He was born on December 24, 2001 and was the best geocaching dog who ever lived in our eyes. He deserves to be acknowledged in some way and what better way than to post his last picture here. Who knew it would be his last.

I recall a post we did a while back...

by Upinyachit

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There has been times where he has been off of the leash in heavy wooded areas, and he would be sitting at the cache even before we arrived

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We believe that allowing our dog to roam the woods finding caches without a leash was a big mistake and perhaps had a hand in his death.

He was caching since puppyhood and fell in love with the sport. He was always ready for a cache hunt anytime Duane was. He would always get so excited that, eventually, we would let him off of his leash, and soon enough, he would find the caches way before we did. Who needed a GPS with Chiboy around!

Well, due to us losing our GPS, we slowed down on our geocaching a bit. Recently, we moved to the country and have a heavily wooded back yard. Oh, how Chi wanted to just run into those woods. The problem was our front yard.

It is a highway.

We never counted on him "taking off" in these woods.

You can call it a freak accident, but I can't help but think of the "what if's".

What if we never took him off of the leash while geocaching in those woods? Would he have wanted to take off like he did here, heading straight for them?

He snuck out of the bottom of our screen door and was gone for hours. The next thing we knew, he was lying on the neighbors driveway, dead. His fur full of burrs from the woods.

Two purposes of this post. You already know one. Here's the other...

Keep your dog leashed at all times while geocaching! Please! I'm not saying that it played a sole part in it, but I know it had a small part to play in Chi's death. And now, we will never ever get him back. 

If only we taught him not to run free like that.

If this advice helps one owner keep his best friend, then it was well worth the time it took to post. Let Chi be a lesson to all you geocaching pooches out there...STAY ON YOUR LEASH...PERIOD.

We will always remember our boy. 

(Chi after a hunt last year)

We love you, Mister!

Candie

Upinyachit

After four months, we now have a new puppy. "JAKE"

He will never replace CHI, even though he looks just like him.

D

I know how you feel.

I had a dog that died at the age of 14/15 about 4 years ago. I have new dogs now, very happy with them, but they don't replace her. Sometimes she still appears on my dreams having a younger age, perhaps this means that it was a good influence when I was a kid.

Sorry to hear that. :huh: Pets are a huge part of my life--always have been. That kind of loss does not go away easily, and in some cases, not at all. Just remember, that even though Pamela is gone physically from this earth, as long as you never ever forget her, she will never truly be gone from your life.

I feel for you.

Thanks everybody...Yeah, we are planning a tribute cache in her memory...The part about it that is sticking in our craw is that it was so sudden there was no opportunity for us to say goodbye to her. No sense of closure on our part. We realize now that the night before she died, she took the time to say goodbye to us, but at the time we did not understand what she was doing. She knew she was dying, but was a stoic and did not share that truth with us. We went on a short errand Thursday morning and returned to find her dead in the back yard. It was a nice morning, so we left the dachshunds in the back yard (fenced). Dayzee, our younger dachshund, is a changed dog. She was always a rather annoying dog in a lot of respects. Pamela's death seems to have sobered her in the areas that we found annoying, so perhaps some good is coming out of the tragedy. The 3 chihuahuas are basically unfazed. The chihuahuas and dachshunds kind of existed as separate societies without a whole lot of interaction between them. There is kind of a power struggle going on right now between Nacho, our male chihuahua, and Dayzee, as we seek to integrate them all into one society.

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I feel your pain.

In the last few years, we lost two dogs to age and cancer. The two had been with Cathy for close to twenty years so it was very traumatic when they passed. Yesterday, we thought we would have to relive that pain. B)

In the morning, I had let my german shepherd and Cathy's terrier out into our back yard to play. The yard is pretty big and is surrounded by a six-foot privacy fence. A few hours later, we were ready to leave for church so I yelled for the dogs to come back in. No dogs. They had escaped the yard. The beasts had broken two of the pickets on the side gate and crawled under. :huh:

So we jump in the car and start cruising the neighborhood. After the first lap, I decide to take off on foot while Cathy continues her search by car. She runs to our vet and calls the pound to see if anyone knows anything. No luck. B)

By now, the day has become cold and drizzly, mirroring our mood. Cathy and I communicate our failed searches by cel. She asks if I'm sure they escaped, or did someone liberate them? (She's a little paranoid that way.) I'm only about a block away, so I tell her that I'll take a closer look at the damage. While I'm walking to the side gate, she turns into the driveway and pulls to the back of the house.

As she approaches the garage door, which we had left open, Darby the wonder pup wanders out, looking very guilty; Sable follows. The pups were safe. B)

My condolences to you and your family. Last year, the day after my father died, we had to put down our 18 y/o chihuahua, Faustina. A few months later, we were forced to have our 13 y/o German Shepherd, Sheba, put down. Those three events struck a terrible blow to our family that we're still trying to get over.

Team MRMnJewel, Katie the Collie and I are deeply sorry for your great loss.

Here is a quote that appears on our Collie wall calendars nearly every year, modified for Pamela:

Pamela was your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.

You were her life, her love, her leader. She was yours,

failthful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You

were worthy of such devotion.

Anonymous (with RooBoy mods)

From your post, I am sure that both Pamela and you lived the above quote.

As your sorrow lessens, remember with joy the happy times you had with Pamela.

Ciao

RooBoy

:huh: sorry to hear about yours

my little one just died today when i was gone and she was at my baby sitters the babby sitter said it was fast Lady is her name she never got the chance to go caching with me she was already to old to do that when i got into the sport

but she had so much fun riding motor cycle with me sorry to go on about it

thanks for the ear

:huh:

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Pets are so important in our lives. Usually the grieving process for a lost pet is the same as for a lost human. In fact, I think your posting is part of the process and a good step to take. There is no need to grieve alone and it is good to seek comfort from others.

Not too long ago, I lost my 19 year old Siamese cat, Brandy, after a long illness. Brandy saw me through the end of high school, college and law school, my first house, my marriage, my divorce and the beginning years of my career. Basically, a huge formative portion of my life. I was fortunate in that I knew he was going and got to sleep with him one last time. And after I found him near death the next day, I was able to hold him as we went to the vet to take his pain away. I then buried him under a cherry tree in my parent's yard, where as a kitten, he used to enjoy supervised play (he was an indoor cat). Although that was very hard (darn, and I am crying now. I thought I had gotten over my grieving), I can't imagine how it would be to have no warning. That must be very difficult. Like with you, my other pets acted differently after Brandy was gone. The other cats suddenly got over-attentive toward me for about a week, and the dog, who really liked Brandy, acted subded for awhile. It broke my heart when the dog would go to Brandy's favorite chair as if she was looking for him. They definitely sensed that something had changed and was not right.

When Brandy died, I posted something about it in a private topic on the old forums (the old Cheers Gang thread). Webfoot responded by posting a particularly relevant piece of writing that I had not seen before. I found comfort in it at the time. Here it is:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

You and your family will be in my prayers tonight.

Do not stand at my grave and weep;

I am not there. I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.

I am the diamond's gilt on snow.

I am the sunlight on ripened grain.

I am the gentle autumn's rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush,

I am the swift uplifting rush

of quiet birds in circled flight.

I am the soft stars that shine at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry;

I am not there. I did not die.

(Author Unknown)

...I thought I had gotten over my grieving...

You never do, especially when they are as much a part of your life as your cat was. I had a dog like that when I grew up. He was always waiting for me when I got home from school, from the time I was 6 until I was 22.

When he finally had to be put to sleep, I spent a lot of time with him before I went away for the weekend as I knew it would be the last time I saw him (this was just over 8 years ago and I still tear up). As he had gotten older, he always slept against the front door, so you had to open it slowly to give him a chance to get up and out of the way. He couldn't move so good, and couldn't see so good either. Well, the night I came home from the weekend away, imagine the shock to have the door open as freely as it did. I knew it was coming, but could never prepare myself for that experience. :o

Anyway, much like you and your cat, that dog was with me from age 6 to 22, definitely formative years! He was there for me when I needed him most, when almost nobody else was. I still miss him, even with 2 dogs of my own right now. I don't know what's going to happen when it comes time for these two, especially the big one. :D She's a daddy's girl!

(I've lost a lot of weight since this picture!)

139215_300.jpg

Edited by mrkablooey