Are We Ever Going To Place Too Many Caches

AmishHacker

Just like the topic states.....can we place to many caches :lol: .....loose some of the challange?

Well, given there is a fixed quantity of land area, and a minimum as to how closely two caches can be placed, there logically exists a maximum number of caches, but I'm too lazy to calculate that number. But I'm sure the thrill will disappear long before we get to that number.

On a Swedish forum (not here at geocaching.com) did we some math a while ago on how long time it should take before the whole Sweden was covered with film canister and tupperware boxes...

It should take very long time...

I think that even if I placed 1000 caches every day should I not manage to fill the country during my lifetime.

On a Swedish forum (not here at geocaching.com) did we some math a while ago on how long time it should take before the whole Sweden was covered with film canister and tupperware boxes...

It should take very long time...

I think that even if I placed 1000 caches every day should I not manage to fill the country during my lifetime.

And even if you do manage to cover with film canisters and tupperware just think when the polar caps melt all of Sweden will float like a giant Long Boat :wub::wub::lol:

Well take your country: The U.S. has 3,537,438 total square miles - the rules allow 100 caches per square mile so you could have 353,743,800 caches. Sounds like a lot. But if geocaching became so popular that 15% of the people in the U.S. took it up, and over time hid 8 caches each - then all of the allowable space would be used up. (by the way - if half of those players became premium members Jeremy would have annual revenues of more than 1.2 billion dollars. He's such a nice guy, isn't he. :lol:)

Well take your country: The U.S. has 3,537,438 total square miles - the rules allow 100 caches per square mile so you could have 353,743,800 caches. Sounds like a lot. But if geocaching became so popular that 15% of the people in the U.S. took it up, and over time hid 8 caches each - then all of the allowable space would be used up. (by the way - if half of those players became premium members Jeremy would have annual revenues of more than 1.2 billion dollars. He's such a nice guy, isn't he. )

Ack! Math! I am going to go hide in a corner now. :lol::wub:

Btw, when EGNOS/WAAS will be active all over the world, will there still be a need of having 161 meters/528 feet/0.1 mile (?) distance between every cache?

It seems that the main reason for having the distance between caches are that you shall not find cache B while looking for cache A. But how many times are you around 161 meters/528 feet/0.1 mile off searching for a cachce????????

Just using my own area as an example, I'd say probably not. the archive rate is pretty high. 3 or 4 of the caches I hunted 6 or 8 months ago are already archived, and I noticed many more that I didn't hunt for then are already gone! There will always be old caches being archived and new ones being added at what seems to be a pretty even ratio.