Pepper Needs Help!

Pepper

Ok y'all I have Photo Shop but the only thing I've really mastered with it is resizing my pictures.

I've got the go ahead from the husband to finally get my Geo Coins.

Now I need help with the design Front and Back.

I know for sure I want to use my Bell Peppers and my sig line I use in the fourms.

Please Help.

I'm thinking if I use somebody's design they will get a coin!

4greenpeppers-web.jpg

or this one

geocoinpep.jpg

Thanks in advance for your input (if there is any).

Headed to Spokane to a Pizza Party and some caching.

Pepper

Edited by Team SuperGenius

Those look like some good ideas. I just got photo shop too and have been using it to try to create some geo coin ideas as well.

I don't have the time right now, but I might putz around with your logo just to see what happens.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I made my new avatar with Photoshop :lol:

Edited by Perrin

Too bad the geocaching logo isn't red-orange-yellow-green. I've never seen any blue peppers! Your designs look great! I am especially drawn to the 2nd one. Don't have photoshop--can't help on design , but if any of your coins show up in the Portland area, rest assured that we'll be hunting 'em!

--laurak of dasein

How about something like this for the front. I would think you would want to identify it as a geocoin. Not sure if you want to include parts of the geocaching logo. Sounds like the back may not have room for the "geocoin" designation.

Having two threads on this is going to get confusing. You might want to close one of them.

14843_3500.jpg

Navdog OMG you Rock!

Yes something like that is exactly what I'm looking for.

What progam did you use to make that in?

Navdog how about replacing the Official GeoCoin with Pepper.

How about another ring just inside of the wording?

On the back I'm not sure something like this.

Now I know this is really rough I did it in paint.

Not much talent in the art department.

noswitchbacks.jpg

Horizontals where it's at! on top of the coin and maybe www.geocaching.com on the bottom or the other way around.

Pepper

I think having something like "official geocoin" or "special geocoin" is important. Lots of people don't know what the coins are, and indicating that it's something special for geocaching would be good. I'd keep that on the front, or perhaps on the back instead of geocaching.com

I like the roughdraft you did of the mountain! It's getting there, Pepper. :D

Cin

I think having something like "official geocoin" or "special geocoin" is important. Lots of people don't know what the coins are, and indicating that it's something special for geocaching would be good. I'd keep that on the front, or perhaps on the back instead of geocaching.com

I like the roughdraft you did of the mountain! It's getting there, Pepper. :D

Cin

Cindy...HELP out your ole pal!

Pepper

One thing you need to do is find out how many colors are allowed for the coin and how it is to be stamped and how much relief is set in. Remember, the coin is much smaller than these images, so you want to be sure the detail will show on the final coin. I came up with this for the back before I saw your post:

Your sig line will take a good portion of the outside circle. I don't think "www.geocachig.com" would fit on the bottom unless it was real small. Wasn't sure if you were going to number them either.

14843_3700.jpg

Edited by Navdog

I would tend to agree. You could put "Pepper" at the bottom and have "Official Geocoin" in a little smaller print in the midle.

Navdog how about replacing the Official GeoCoin with Pepper.

How about another ring just inside of the wording?

Here is what you quoted would look like:

Because of the circular "no sign" for the back, you are going to be limited to the outside circle for any lettering on that side. So you only have a small area on the bottom for any additional wording.

14843_4200.jpg

Edited by Navdog

OK, Pepper. With the info you gave me in the email concerning color on one side only and your preference for the front with just the names and another circle, I came up with this:

I could probably change the shape of the mountain a little, but it probably needs to stay within the boundaries of the circle. I think the hiker walking uphill might be more visually telling than some switchbacks, especially if you are not going with color on the back.

Open for any comments.

14843_4100.jpg

Edited by Navdog
Looking great NavDog! Still gotta get down to the Gorge and do some of your more extreme caches.

I noticed that the tracking numbers are not on the latest design. Perhaps at the base of the mountain?

EGH, the Headwall Cache is great this time of year with all the small waterfalls running over the cliffs, and it's much easier to do battle with the Devils Club. :D

Pepper, even though you may not have a way to track numbered coins, having individually numbered coins does add a little something to the uniqueness of them. Don't know what extra costs are involved. Here is a slight redesign of the back and a space for numbering:

Your wish is my command. :o

14843_4400.jpg

Navdog they look sooo good, I am tossing around the numbering thing now with my husband. He sees no need and well he's paying I'm at his mercy.

Looks like I'm gonna use what we've got. I have a feeling there will be a little back and forth stuff with the people that are making them for me, to come up with a final decision.

Well buddie looks like you got yourself a coin, #002 IF I get them numbered.

You've been a huge help and a trooper.

I guess you could say I couldn't of done it without ya.

Hopefully one day we will be able to me face to face.

As soon as I get a sample back from the mint I post it here for you to see.

Thanks a bundle your ROCK DUDE! :D

Pepper

Your wish is my command. <_<

14843_4400.jpg

WOW! Navdog!! If you can knock these designs out so fast and easy, I see a big future in designing coins for the rest of us. We dont have the program or skills to do it. Nicely done! Seriously we have thought about doing this but the whole MS paint thing is not even close.

edit=sp

Edited by Ish-n-Isha
Pepper,

How much are these gonna run ya? They really look great! Maybe I'll have some done for me if I can afford it.

Slightly more than the 'G" something "4" somthing video card my husband is buying for his gaming computer.

Fair trade, I get new toys so does he.

Pepper

:)  Where can you get something like that minted? NavDog wanna design one for me? I am awful at that kinda thing,Ilove the way they look what program did you use to design it?

I use Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.

I'd be happy to work up a few ideas that would portray something personal in the design. But, first I need you to complete this Personality Test as well as this Rorschach Test to help develop possible design themes for your geocoin. Or you could just give me some ideas as to what you may want on the coin. :):):D

Navdog do you think I could see what my coin would look like using my Avatar with-out color keeping the wording the same.

The art work I got back from two companies pulled a vaccum!

Still undecided.

Pepper

Navdog do you think I could see what my coin would look like using my Avatar with-out color keeping the wording the same.

The art work I got back from two companies pulled a vaccum!

Still undecided.

Pepper

Is this what you mean? So there would be no color on the coin. Does that help reduce the costs? Although I have made these to resemble a gold/brass coin, I've seen other materials used for coins such as a nickel look which is more of a silver color.

Also, I suppose we could overlay the geocaching logo onto the peppers like your actual avatar.

14843_5100.jpg

Edited by Navdog

Also, I suppose we could overlay the geocaching logo onto the peppers like your actual avatar.

14843_5100.jpg

Navdog I'm not sure if it changes the cost of the coin or not.

I've decided for me I want to use three different color coins (Gold, Silver & Bronze) which will all be solid, brushed and antiqued.

Yes, Yes, Yes an exact copy of my Avatar is what I really want were getting there young man.

You Rock!

Pepper

Be careful on that one Pepper. There could be problems with the use of the geologo in any altered form. You would be wise to check with GSP before finalizing the coin design if you use any part of the logo.

W L yes I know I'm still trying to come up with a design when I do I will email the big people and ask permission first.

Thanks for you input.

Pepper

Navdog I'm not sure if it changes the cost of the coin or not.

I've decided for me I want to use three different color coins (Gold, Silver & Bronze) which will all be solid, brushed and antiqued.

Yes, Yes, Yes an exact copy of my Avatar is what I really want were getting there young man.

You Rock!

Pepper

Just so I understand, you don't want the coin to have any colors except for the actual finish of the metal?

It's interesting how much this logo resembles part of the geo-logo. But it would be best to address any design issues with Groundspeak first.

stock_photography_logo.gif

gsplogo.gif

If it was an issue... wouldn't it have been addressed by TPTB already?

I agree that permission should be asked but be aware, there are 2 issues to asking permission to use it:

1. The precedent is already set because they haven't complained about the current avatar.

2. Asking permission may not only cause a denial, but a loss of the use of the avatar when it is pointed out that they didn't complain about it.

Now, the way I see it; if you use just the 4 cornered peppers without the use of colors or the other emblems of the geocaching logo, this is uniquely Pepper's to use as she wishes.

Edited to add fwiw, I just found this post that addresses the use of the logo in an altered form.

Edited by TotemLake
navdog I agree but I need a design first.

Or are you suggesting I ask for permission first before I move forward?

Pepper

No, I can work up a design with the logo for you to look. But, it might be a good idea to ask before you order any coins. The reason I pointed out the geo-man thing is that we were turned down when we asked permission about the pdxgeocaching logo (see below). I've seen this type of image on numerous designs lately, so I wonder just how much an image of a figure jumping in the air is really protected. Obviously using other elements of the geocaching logo makes it more germane to that.

pdxani-5.gif

There does at the very least seem to be a lack of consistency with the things Groundspeak approves and disapproves. There are other geocaching sites that use the man in their logo design. It may be these other sites never asked permission - whereas I sought it for Portland.

In the end, I agree with what Navdog is alluding to - I'm not sure how much they could maintain that the "man" is protected. For me personally, I chose to respect Groundspeaks logo, by seeking permission for our initial designs and abiding by their decision. Besides I think the Portland design came out great (thanks to Navdog).

You can find Groundspeaks logo use guidelines here.

I got word back from Groundspeak and I cannot use my Avatar.

The flag and the little man are off limits!

That's ok I'm gonna go with the lastest version.

Thanks NavDog.

Pepper

Not surprising, but they will still look nice. One other idea, if you are not going to have them individually numbered, it may be nice to put "2004" on them as a mint date.