Caches In Need Of Adoption

gpsfun

Requests to archive Laverne Preserve cache have been received and acted upon, but a review of the most recent (but still old) cache logs indicates that some geocachers found the cache to be of significant interest.

Since the owner has been inactive on the site for over a year, if anyone in the general area is interested in visiting the cache to consider adoption, please let me know. Right now, we do not know for sure if the cache is gone or has just suffered lack of maintenance. We would like to have it adopted if reasonable, or at least receive confirmation of its removal.

Thank you.

We have contacted danosphere and would like to allow him the first adoption opportunity, should he find it to still be in place and in adoptable condition.

If anyone else becomes interested, please post here so we can provide you an adoption opportunity should danosphere decline.

Thank you.

UPDATE. Went out today. The bottom line, this cache is 'do-able,' but i want to do some more digging before saying it is ready to go. I removed the cache because it was a mess; someone left bug spray in it, and between the water, the soap and the deet it was unservicable.

This is a great spot, please be patient while i check with all the nearby owners.

danosphere.

hey, we've been to laverne preserve, as well as many other caches in the area. although that one is a bit tough to get to, you just have to 'go with the flow' to get there..... the view is OUT OF THIS WORLD. mass cachers seldom get a chance to see something as clear and clean and crisply maine as this bad boy, so we vote to put it back in service! if once-in-awhile service is needed, we can stop by in the spring/summer/fall....

Cachebandits, I am attempting to get in comms (that means 'talk' in navyspeak;) with the preserve caretakers. I am giving them some slack for not answering my email since they may still be on vacation. I have recovered the cache, and I will be replacing it when I get permission from the caretakers. You are right, it is a beauty of a spot, but it is a little tough to get to without trespassing. I will provide detailed instructions when the time comes. One other consideration is the weather; we are getting sporadic snow and artic temps right now...your patience will be rewarded! danosphere

We have an orphaned cache by the name of Geocache that has reached its first birthday today. Since it is located in upper NY state very close to Vermont, I am posting this in the Northeast and the New England forums.

If you are interested in adopting this cache, you may send an e-mail via my profile or post here. I will coordinate with the reviewer who handles NY state so we may place this cache in the hands of an active owner.

Thank you.

This cache now has an adoption in process. The new owner's name should show up in a few days>

Thanks.

We have an orphaned cache by the name of Geocache that has reached its first birthday today.  Since it is located in upper NY state very close to Vermont, I am posting this in the Northeast and the New England forums.

If you are interested in adopting this cache, you may send an e-mail via my profile or post here.  I will coordinate with the reviewer who handles NY state so we may place this cache in the hands of an active owner.

Thank you.

We now have another abandoned cache available for adoption. This one is located in Massachusetts under the name of Ships a sailing.

The cache has a number of "not found" log entries, so what you are considering adopting is really the location so you may replace the missing cache and take ownership going forward. Another option is to allow it to be archived, after which a new cache placement could be submitted in the same or a nearby location.

If you are interested in adopting the cache, please let me know by e-mail through my profile. If no one steps forward by March 21, Ships a sailing will be archived.

We now have another abandoned cache available for adoption.  This one is located in Massachusetts under the name of Ships a sailing.

The cache has a number of "not found" log entries, so what you are considering adopting is really the location so you may replace the missing cache and take ownership going forward.  Another option is to allow it to be archived, after which a new cache placement could be submitted in the same or a nearby location. 

If you are interested in adopting the cache, please let me know by e-mail through my profile.  If no one steps forward by March 21, Ships a sailing will be archived.

Ships a Sailing has now been archived as no one appears willing to adopt it. Can someone please volunteer to remove the remnants?

Thanks.

Ships a Sailing has now been archived as no one appears willing to adopt it.  Can someone please volunteer to remove the remnants?

Thanks.

I had hoped someone closer would adopt the Ships a sailing cache, but given the high number of accidental finds, I can't say that I'm surprised that there hasn't been some interest.

I'll try and retrieve the remnants and I'll post an immediate follow-up once they have been removed.

Ships a Sailing has now been archived as no one appears willing to adopt it.  Can someone please volunteer to remove the remnants?

Thanks.

The Ships a sailing cache container was removed from its location on the shores of Duxbury.

I'll post same on the Ships a sailing cache page shortly.

There is no need to "adopt" every archived cache. Usually you would adopt a cache that's still there, but no longer maintained, or maybe is especially historic. In this case, there's no cache out there, and it's not especially "historic".

Besides, how can you replace a cache in the exact same spot, hidden the exact same way, if you never found the original?

Just go hide a new cache of your own in the area. That will give those that already found the old cache a new cache to find and log, too.

There is no need to "adopt" every archived cache. Usually you would adopt a cache that's still there, but no longer maintained, or maybe is especially historic. In this case, there's no cache out there, and it's not especially "historic".

Besides, how can you replace a cache in the exact same spot, hidden the exact same way, if you never found the original?

Just go hide a new cache of your own in the area. That will give those that already found the old cache a new cache to find and log, too.

Sorry, thought I was trying to do something nice. I didn't know a single failure to find meant that it was gone. Since the owner had moved rather than abandon it that I wasn't going to be being out of line to offer to take it over.

Edited by macmedic
Ignore Mopar, he's a grump.

Well, DUH! ;)

That doesn't change the fact that a cache that hung aroung for a few months last year probably isnt worth the effort to adopt. Plus, the whole idea of adoption is to retain the original cache. If you never found that cache, the best you can really hope for is to hide the replacement somewhere in the same general area. If you're gonna do that, it's not really the same cache it was, why not give it a new cache page? This way anyone who did find the old cache has a reason to go back and bag a new cache. It wasnt meant to be a put down, or even to be grumpy.

A new cache makes more sense in this case, and you could have one out there and up and running and approved in a day or 2, compared to the weeks or often months it takes to get a cache adoption to go through.

Besides, the Devils kicked booty today, why would I be grumpy? :P

Edited by Mopar

Would anyone in the Smithfield, RI area be interested in adopting the Mowry Cache?

This is a beautiful place and a great cache placement, but the owners have moved out of state and are unable to maintain the cache at this point. I just paid a visit there a few days ago, and the spot could use a slightly larger container, new goodies, and new log book.

If no one is interested, I will most likely adopt it myself (since that seems to be my special talent as a geocacher), but it's a bit of a drive for me for the kind of regular maintenence I like to do on my caches.

So, if you are interested, please e-mail me and I will get it set up for you. The cache owners have already given their permission and told me to "find a good owner" for it.

Thanks,

Jessica

Oops. Made a new topic on this, should have posted here:

Hi, I'm posting a message in case anyone is familiar with the owners of Garrison Hill Camera Cache. It's in rough shape, and the owner hasn't visited the web site for about a year. I posted a Should be archived note... but I know this is a popular cache, and has been around for a while (just turned 3!)...

E-mails to the owner are bouncing, unfortunately.

-T

P.S. I am willing to adopt it! I live 2 minutes away.

Edited by the8re
Regarding Garrison Hill Camera Cache GC6B6, I have posted a note on the cache page requesting the user to let me know their intent within the next 30 days.

Great! Thanks for the quick response! This is a really popular cache/area and I'd hate to see it go away.

-T

I posted a Needs Archived for the "Trail Mix" cache that seems to have been accidentally placed in an alternate lifestyle trolling area.

Basis is perpetual safety concerns by cachers, frequent cache plundering, and lack of response by absent cache owner.

I don't expect that there will be offers to adopt, but pending the protocol and opportunity to adopt, I will take responsibility for removal of cache remnants as I posted the archive request.

Mtn-man archived the "Trail Mix" cache last night, so I drove to Dartmouth this morning to remove the cache.

Not surprisingly, the cache was deliberately destroyed again.

I posted a number of photographs showing the general location, the condition the cache was found, and perhaps even photographic evidence that Yellow Jeep Fever has been archived.

Beautiful job Wreck Diver! That is quite a credit to go out to that area and get the remains out of there. Your photos say a lot. You deserve an extra smiley for going the extra mile!!! :(:(

Your pictures of the pond show that it is a great place. Too bad the cache has been trashed so badly. Thank you very much for going out and cleaning up the remains.

:(:(:(

Cache in probable need of removal

A proposed cache submitted on 3/13/2004 was not posted to the web site because it is too close to an existing active cache. The owner has been asked to either move or remove it but has not replied and has not visited the gc.com web site since March. Therefore, I am soliciting a volunteer to remove the cache container if it is still there.

Here are the particulars:

N 41° 51.989 W 070° 59.449

In Massachusetts, United States

Date 3/13/2004

Short Description

Wear some boots!

Long Description

Cache is located in an ammo box. Should be easy to spot once you reach the location.

Hints

No Hints Available

Some nearby caches include:

234ft S Good Place for a Cache by JohnX (GCH1A1)

0.1mi N Who pulled the plug? by JohnX (GCHQGB)

0.5mi NE Cracked Tree Treasure by BugSquad & Paul (GC3C30)

2mi SE GC Lakers Geocache by Babs, Tinkerbell, and Roadrunner (GC97B9)

If you go for it, please post the results here so others will know it is gone.

Thanks.

-gpsfun

geocaching.com volunteer reviewer

Cache in probable need of removal

A proposed cache submitted on 3/13/2004 was not posted to the web site because it is too close to an existing active cache. The owner has been asked to either move or remove it but has not replied and has not visited the gc.com web site since March. Therefore, I am soliciting a volunteer to remove the cache container if it is still there.

I removed the unapproved cache container this morning and SWIMMING back with the ammo container, I couldn't help but wonder why I keep going after caches on islands...

This makes four that I can recall.

WreckDiver,

you're one dedicated cacher and great to have in our community.  I sure hope you find a nice spot to that big ol' ammo can!  Great job.  :lol: Glad you didn't sink with it.

Thanks Planet.

I contacted the cache owner and explained the retrieval to him and said that I would retain the cache container and the contents with hopes that he will contact me to retrieve the items for replacement elsewhere.

Taking an archived cache home with me always feels a lot like I'd expect of stealing flowers from a grave. Someone put a lot of heart into it at one time and whatever the current circumstance, things have changed.

This particular cache was well prepared, so I can't imagine it having been abandoned without response.

A number of my co-workers have either already shipped out or they are in the process of shipping to Iraq.

Cache Hider may well be with them.

(I'll include a picture of the retrieved cache container for reference.)

DSC01731.JPG

Edited by Wreck Diver

Nobody except WreckDiver ever contacted me. I have not changed my email address. I was planning to get the cache as soon as I could get out to that area. It is not an easy drive, it would take at least a half day for me to drive there, get the cache and get home. My back has been bothering me and its has been raining for the last four Sundays, and that's the only day that I can get there. I spent a lot of time and effort in building this cache and trying to find a challenging location. After all my work, I am told, sorry, it's too close. Imagine how you'd feel.... then after that ordeal you get an email from a nice person that says that there was a big problem with your cache and it had to be rescued. What was the big hurry anyway? It was safe on an island. Thanks GPSFUN. If you check my logs, you'll see that I can only get out to enjoy Geocaching every few months and that it is not unusual for me to not log in for over six months at a time. Thanks for making GPS-NOT-SO-FUN. :(

My cache was not in need of adoption. It was a runaway.

Can I get another reviewer? Please? :rolleyes:

Oh now I see, by saying "The owner has been asked to either move or remove it but has not replied" you mean that I have not looked at the page for my unapproved cache. Now I get it. Gee, I thought that you meant that you emailed me. How would I know to look at that? I read that you didn't aprove the cache so I planned to get it. I am sorry that I do not live by your schedule or that I didn't realize that I had to read the logs in my unapproved cache page.

See, since the cache was not approved I didn't expect that there would be logs there. I guess I missed that rule. I never would have thought that something that was not approved would have log entries on it. I guess anything is possible

Here's that "contact" that I missed.

May 10 by gpsfun (212 found)

Please let me know your plans for this cache.

If you would like to move your physical cache placement away from the existing cache, you are free to do so. After you edit the coordinates on your cache page, please let me know and I will be glad to review it again.

If you do not plan to relocate it, please let me know. It would be best for you to make arrangements to pick up the cache so it does not become litter. If that is difficult or not possible, please let me know and I will seek a volunteer to remove it.

I need to hear from you within the next ten days, otherwise we will need to begin searching for someone to take care of it.

Thank you for your understanding.

-gpsfun

[view this log on a separate page]

March 30 by gpsfun (212 found)

I am sorry we were not able to post your cache page to the web site.

Will you be removing the container or perhaps relocating it away from existing caches?

You can contact me at gpsfun@geocachingadmin.com

Thank you.

-gpsfun

[view this log on a separate page]

March 15 by gpsfun (212 found)

Greetings, Cache Hider.

We are reviewing your proposed cache Gilligan's Cache number GCHXZ6 and regret to advise you that it cannot be posted. It is only 234 feet from an existing active cache site. Cache density limits are 0.1 mile or 528 feet separation between caches.

Hopefully you can relocate your cache to avoid the density issue. You can see caches close to yours by clicking on the show nearby caches link on the cache page.

If you update the cache page and would like me to review it again, please send me an e-mail including the cache number at gpsfun@geocachingadmin.com

Thank you.

-gpsfun

Can I get another reviewer? Please? 

Oh now I see, by saying "The owner has been asked to either move or remove it but has not replied" you mean that I have not looked at the page for my unapproved cache. Now I get it. Gee, I thought that you meant that you emailed me. How would I know to look at that? I read that you didn't aprove the cache so I planned to get it. I am sorry that I do not live by your schedule or that I didn't realize that I had to read the logs in my unapproved cache page.

See, since the cache was not approved I didn't expect that there would be logs there. I guess I missed that rule. I never would have thought that something that was not approved would have log entries on it. I guess anything is possible

Cache Hider:

All logs posted to your cache page including the reviewer notes are also emailed to you. Here is where I would normally suggest you check your spam filters, but since you got Wreck Diver's email just fine, that shouldn't be a problem.

So you hid a cache, and almost immediately got an email from the reviewer, which it seems like you did not reply to.

Two weeks later he emailed you again. He waited another week and a half and emailed you a third time.

After more then 2 months without a reply, he asked that someone else remove the unapproved cache.

If you really go 6 months at a time without checking your email, perhaps you should refrain from hiding caches.

When you submitted the cache, you checked off a box that said you read and understood this site's guidelines for listing a cache.

Those guidelines include sections on how close to another cache you may hide one, and also on maintaining a cache. You might want to go back and read them again. If you have any questions about them, GPSfun or myself will be happy to try and explain them.

Edited by NJ Admin

Cache Hider,

I am sorry you are upset with the way this situation has evolved. I was planning to post the chronology of events here, and thank you for saving me that work.

Each time a log is posted to a cache page, an e-mail message is sent to the cache page owner's registered e-mail address. In addition, a copy of the cache log messages are sent to persons who have the cache on their watch list. As a result, I have all of the e-mail messages related to the logs you copied into your posting. If you did not receive the e-mail messages, I am truly sorry. That said, as a volunteer reviewer I have to operate on the information I have at hand. Recapping, I used the gc.com site to contact you on March 15, March 30, and May 10. In the May 10 message, I asked you to respond within ten days. Thirteen days later, I posted the message here asking for someone to remove your cache container.

I do not believe it is unreasonable to expect a response within two months. And with due respect to my peer volunteer approvers, I believe they also would have given up on you by now.

Wreck Diver has made it clear that he is willing to return the cache to you. If you choose to re-hide it, after you create your cache page, you can use the link to show nearby caches - that will let you see how close others are to the location you have selected.

My cache was maintained just fine, right where it was. It caused no harm to anyone. :(

Also. This is what the rules state: The approvers use a rule of thumb that caches placed within .10 miles (528 feet or 161 meters) of another cache may not be listed on the site. This is an arbitrary distance and is just a guideline

Other rules:

In the event that a cache is not being properly maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an extended period of time, we may archive or transfer the listing.

Where does it say that you will send someone out to reposses the cache?

If a temporary cache is one that is expected to last less than 3 months, then it should be safe to assume that my cache was one that would be safe for at least 3 months. Did you happen to notice that it was on an island?

I feel as though I have been unfairly treated by an overzealous admin.

Some nearby caches include:

234ft S Good Place for a Cache by JohnX (GCH1A1)

Sorry, but don't you think that 234 feet clearly violates that quoted guideline? Geez, that is less than half of the 528 feet guideline. For heavens sake, you even found the cache that was 234 feet away. You knew it was there. You are blaming the approver because you did not read the guidelines? You checked the box that said you did read them when you submitted the cache. I think you need to get off of gpsfun's back and admit you made some mistakes.

Frankly, you should be thanking Wreck Diver and gpsfun.

My cache was maintained just fine, right where it was. It caused no harm to anyone. :D 

In this March 19 log of YOURS on the cache that is 234 feet away you said, and I quote:

HELP! I placed a cache too close to this one (240' away) and it needs to be moved. If any geocachers are going out to look for this one and they can help relocate the other one please contact me. I will send you the coordinates and other details. Thanks!

Together Wreck Diver and gpsfun have done EXACTLY what you asked in that March 19 log. They removed it. It is up to you to place your own cache correctly, not them. I would say that you should not replace it in the area since you don't seem to be able to get up there very often.

You have not responded to gpsfun's emails.

You clearly cannot maintain the cache because you have begged other cachers for help to take care of the problem you created rather than just going back and taking care of the problem yourself.

They did what you asked in your March 19th log.

I think you owe Wreck Diver, gpsfun and the people reading this topic an apology.

Interesting.

Cache Hider claimed he never got the approver's emails.

Cache Hider claimed he didnt know there was a problem with the cache until Wreck Diver emailed him.

If this was the truth, why would Cache Hider post the log mtn-man quoted above on the nearby cache just a few days after he DIDNT get the email from GPSfun?

Hmmmmm.

As a public safety geocacher that had previously, and deliberately, sought the 11 September 2001 Memorial cache, I was dismayed to note that the cache had been archived due to owner absence and lack of maintenance.

Given the significance of the cache and the beautiful location of the memorial, this is a tremendous loss for those cachers who have not heard of the monument and who may have become cognizant of it only through the geocaching.com website. I was one of them.

If admin would consider it, I should like to immediately adopt the 11 September 2001 Memorial Cache and take responsibility for the care and maintenance of the virtual.

I will accept adoption of the cache as a permanent responsibility but will surrender ownership should SarDude return and request control of the cache be returned to him.

I am not sure if this thread is the correct one, but I did claim a find for the virtual cache Boston Light even though I am uncomfortable with the way I did so. I did take a park service tour of the island and I did email three of the five items to Ethan (Upper?). As mentioned in the log, I did not wait for a reply and, as far as I can tell, I did not have to wait for a reply (does someone read this webpage differently?). The problem is that all of my emails to Ethan have bounced; I got variations of the following error:

<gps@ethanandsam.com>... Deferred: Operation timed out with oppenheimer.ethanandsam.com.

Message could not be delivered for 5 days

Message will be deleted from queue

In spite of the problems, I do think that this virtual cache is a worthy one. As fas as I can tell from Ethan's page, he is still active, but how does one contact him?

Any advice on how to treat virtual caches in situations like this one?

My apologies for the cross-posting but we are a month away from our move so am trying to get these adopted before we leave!

After almost three years here in the Ocean State, my husband and I have decided to move back to the south to be closer to family (not to mention better real estate prices). So in about a month, we'll be settling in Charlotte.

We have two caches hidden in Rhode Island that I would prefer get adopted rather than archived. Both are in the West Greenwich area: Rattlesnake Ledge (GCG9D8) and Stepstone Falls (GCGTEW). Both are pretty active and have been maintained since placement.

If anyone is interested in adopting one (or both) of these caches, please email me at: lesley at moonlitgarden.net or PM me here.

Thanks!