Sportrak Map Stress Cracks.

SBPhishy

Gary and Mary Adventurers, you have mail on the extra car mount you have. I would be glad to take it off your hands.

i have a Sportrack Color and no visible cracks. As mentioned previously, there is a big difference in the case design, so I don't expect any problems. Anyone out there have a cracked ST Color? I almost went for the Pro until I saw the Color advertised on Vanns.com for 253.00 shipped. Sure glad I went with it over the Pro.

Bowfin

Gary and Mary Adventurers, you have mail on the extra car mount you have. I would be glad to take it off your hands.

i have a Sportrack Color and no visible cracks. As mentioned previously, there is a big difference in the case design, so I don't expect any problems. Anyone out there have a cracked ST Color? I almost went for the Pro until I saw the Color advertised on Vanns.com for 253.00 shipped. Sure glad I went with it over the Pro.

Bowfin

I will be surprised if any of the color units have cracks. They have a different case design than the other ones. You can rest easy.

I sent in a request for an RMA on my Magellan SporTrak Topo with stress cracks. They replied:

This is a known manufacturing issue that have since been corrected.

Please call Technical Support to arrange for an RA number for repalcement for your gps receiver.

1-800-669-4477 M-F 6am-5pm ( Pacific Time ).

Thank you for choosing Magellan

Regards,

Thales Navigation

Technical Support

I'll send it in tomorrow - guess I'm relegated to doing maintenance checks on my own caches this weekend!

Brian

I have owned my SporTrack for 1.5 years now and I didn't notice those cracks until I read this forum. The cracks, however, shouldn't be a problem unless you plan on taking your GPS scuba diving with you.

When the front cover Is made the holes are a little bit smaller than the diameter of the self tapping screws that hold the two pieces of the GPS together. This is done so that the screws can get a good grip on the plastic, other wise your GPS would fall apart. Unfortunately, the design of the Sportrak series has the distance between the screw hole and the outside of the case to thin. Therefore when the screws are put in and the case swells in that area it causes a small crack.

I opened mine (it was over warranty anyway) to have a look at the inside of the case and didn't notice any cracking on that side. The cracks also did not appear to go all the way to the screw hole either. I highly doubt any water will leak in from these cracks If you dropped your GPS into the water.

One thing you can do to relieve the stress is to SLIGHTLY loosen the screws that show signs of cracking.

Good Luck,

Brian

I e-mailed them a few months ago and just recieved a standard "Thanx for reporting your problem, out technical team will be contacting you shortly" type letter.

I got tired of waiting and took my unit to Wal-mart and after three managers looking at it they replaced it, no problem.

I backed the screws out about a quarter turn on the new unit just in case.

I hate to tell everyone this, but my replaced Sportrak Map got the cracks again! I sent a nasty e-mail to Magellan and they sent an e-mail back asking me to call their customer service number. I got a little busy and forgot - a week or so later they called me! They replaced my Sportrak Map with a brand new Sportrak Pro! I love it too! Now I can put the entire lower half of California on my GPSr, where before I couldn't get a tenth of the state on it - Now I'm wondering how to afford the direct route software! :-) Now I'm regretting the nasty part of the e-mail - Magellan has really come through for me - and the turnaround time was less than a week to get my new one - you can't beat that!

Has anyone else been having problems getting a response from Magellan when submitting the web form to request a repair for the stress crack issue?

I have submitted 'the form' three times over the past month. Within the hour I usually get back the standard 'wait 72 hours' automated response and then never hear from Magellan again.

A couple weeks ago a friend of mine who has a MeriGold started having problems with his GPS losing power when removed from the power adapter. He too submitted the online form and has never heard back from Magellan. My friend got frustrated with the lack of response and opened his MeriGold up and fixed it himself (turned out to be a spring that had slipped off one of the pads). Obviously I can't take the same approach with the case cracks.

I know I could just call Magellan and receive the excellent service everyone has noted, but it doesn't seem right that Magellan has a form online (which at first glance appears to be the default and preferred option by the flow of their site) and isn't even answering what is submitted. I guess I get a little stubborn about such things. Is anyone else here having difficulty getting a response from Magellan?

Two quick hints

1) Call Magellan 800 707 9971 (always deal with a real person)

France and United Kingdom

From France, please call: 0 825 864 865 or 02 28 09 38 00 (cost of the call is € 0.125/minute)

From the United Kingdom, please call: +33 (0) 228 093 800 (cost of international call) or Toll Free: FREEPHONE 00800Magellan (00800 62435526)

2) Tell your friend with the Meridian to go to Yahoo Meridian User Group join the group, it is free, then download MeridianFAQv2_0.pdf, this information will help avoid “shooting in the dark and re-inventing the wheel”

I sent my SporTrak Topo in for replacement due to stress cracks. Thales received it on Monday, and shipped out the replacement 2 day FedEx on Tuesday.

I received the replacement unit today. They included batteries, a data cable, vehicle windshield mount and a new neoprene belt clip carrying case and user manual.

None too shabby! BTW, it took 48 hours for the email response I received (see post above) from the time I sent in the RMA request via the website. If you're experiencing a delay, I'd short circuit the issue and call the 800 number for your RMA, as that's what they'll tell you to do anyway!

Brian

I noticed that I have a very hard time with rechargeable AA's and almost forcing them to fit. I'm wondering if this had something to do with the cracks everybody has had???

Also I been thinking of doing an upgrade...any chance I can "develop" :rolleyes: the cracks and upgrade???

So if I'm going to buy a Sportrak Map all I have to do is loosen the screws then tighten until they pressure the gasket slightly?

Took cache, left no trace!

Loosening the screws may not be the best solution for avoiding cracks. The defect may be due to weaknesses in the case, rather than overtorquing. If the crack pattern appears to radiate from the screw holes at different angles, then yes, try retorquing. Otherwise, the cracks may be caused by inadequate joining of the case and chassis, and loosening the screws may actually aggravate the problem. If the screws are tapered, backing them out will result in a less secure connection which may cause them to fall out at some point.

I don't think anyone has had any direct problems with the cracks. Many people do not get the fixed, and their SporTrak works indefinately. I wouldn't worry about them too much unless you know you will be around water (rafting, canoeing, etc.) I got mine fixed, because I'm somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to my electronics. Plus, I sold it, and didn't want to sell it with the cracks.

Has anyone had anything bad happen with these cracks?

I have a Best Buy replacement plan, but it wouldn't transfer to a new unit if I traded it in. I was just wondering how long I could put up with the cracks without worrying that the thing would fall apart.

The best buy plan should replace it for you and your plan should still be valid. You should be able to walk in with the cracked one and out with a new one. Thats the whole point of the best buy plan.

Finally I got somebody on the phone that I needed to talk 2 ...he and I worked it out and is going to fix my problem (same unit no upgrading) but he said that the new unit has a new housing on it.....

They are very concerned about the geocaching community.....

I asked this guy if working on a Geocaching type of unit ....he said he can't discuss it but "they like the geocaching community" and want to be held in good graces...and will try to work with everybody on this problem!!!!

so long story short.....slow phone time...but fixed my problemon my unit....thanks for the help and I'm back as a future consumer again!!!!!!!!!

I don't think anyone has had any direct problems with the cracks. Many people do not get the fixed, and their SporTrak works indefinately. I wouldn't worry about them too much unless you know you will be around water (rafting, canoeing, etc.) I got mine fixed, because I'm somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to my electronics. Plus, I sold it, and didn't want to sell it with the cracks.

This thread talks about a problem with moisture getting inside. SBPhishy, you should read Desert Warriors post here. Aren’t you two always poking each other over the fact that Thales is “French”? This did not seem to bug him in Jan ’03. Just a bit of “poking” ammo for you.

Haha... Thanks Cherokee. We have definitely poked each other a few times. He almost asked for for Christmas? That's funny. He was pretty adamant about never using a French company.

I remember reading about that moiusture problem, so I guess the cracks can lead to problems. From what I have heard, the SporTrak Colors to not have any cracking problems at all.

Have any of you who had your Sportraks reparied/replaced seen the same problem with cracking in the new cases? Any of you will in to provide feedback on the units? Just curious to know if it is a fundamental design problem, or trully a materials issue? Also, won't detorquing the screws compromise the water tightness of the case? I would be worried about that some.

I completely think its a design problem. I do not think at all that they switched their plastic, and now all is well. After I got mine fixed, I sold it. They did do a great job "fixing" it. (They just replaced the case). It came back looking factory new though, so that was a nice addition, especially when I sold it. People have definitely mentioned that they had gotten their SporTraks back, and they cracked again, so it has happened. I wish they would do something. They should just change all the SporTrak designs to fit into the SporTrak Color case. That would completely get rid of the problem, and they would have a completely great unit that would compete with the eTrex's much better, because people would not be afraid of the cracks.

I have read posts in this thread, and others, where people say they have sent the unit in, got it back “repaired”, then the cracks happened again. In fairness to Magellan, they seem to be doing a good and quick job of replacing the cracked cases, but it appears that they are just replacing them with cases that will eventually crack again.

Well I just got my sportrak back for the second time. After the cracks reappeared again I sent it back. The gps wasnt accurate as well. It kept switching back and forth from 2D to 3D. I got it back and the invoice said they replaced the unit. I think they replaced the unit's insides and replaced the outer casing with some factory seconds. It has some knicks in the case. The good news is that the unit is once again very accurate like it was before.

As a previous poster stated, they seem to do a good job getting it "fixed" but didnt fix the problem. I have no complaints about the way they have handled my situation. The only issue is not fixing the flaw that caused these cracks in the first place.

Magellan in Europe

Firstly, we can't aks for a RMA, we have to send the units to the shop we bought the unit! ;)

I sent my Sportrack Pro a month ago and Magellan's technician of Spain doesn't know what to do yet. He sais i am the first with this problem.

I had the pleasure of met the main dealer of Magellan in Catalunya today. He was very kind with me and we have a very interesting and long talk about Magellan and Garmin incidences.

In europe the GPSr is a 100% more expensive than America and the technical service is a ----! ;)

He told me that magellan's technician suggest to put silicone over the cracks, and him, logically, said him NO. Then technician ask him what kind of vehicle and mounting bracket i use with the unit because he deduced that the cracks can be consequence of many vibrations. I use a simple car with the offcial mounting bracket, no problem, but my dealer knows that European Comunity dont allows that electronic devices as GPSr be so fragile.

Technician still blames me of breaking the cases and he sais that i have to pay the 60% of the cost of a new Sportrack Pro. Garmin allows you to pay the 60% of the unit when you breaks it under warranty, but we know that Sportracks cracks are developing itself.

I send to my dealer all the pics and links of geocaching forums talking about sportrack cracks and he believe me. I told him that one day while i was jogging I met a pair of geocachers doing one of my caches, they had a pair of Sportrack maps and i noticed them about the cracks, they discovered the small cracks. Delaer told me that these geocachers have to notice to the Magellan technician about their cracks it will helps me a lot so that don't be the only guy that have this problem if actually i am the first in Spain.

he also told me that one day while the technician, after repairing, closing and screwing hard the screws of a Sportrack, he broke the cases.

The worst is that these days technician is putting under tests my Sportrack Pro to know why the screws grow up. I think they must send me a new unit, if not, i will rat out them.

The dealer suspects that pushhing and pulling the battery compartment helps to envelope the cracks and suggest at technician to put flexible screws (what is it?) to avoid pressure and more cracks.

I am very disappointed with magellan, although I have an Etrex Vista and the Sportrack Pro and I think that Magellan works better. I speak much of GPS units with my costumers in my spare time, they know i love GPS and sometimes ask me for advice. I know that my comments about Magellan will have bad influences.

Edited by garri

;) Well, from reading this forum and the one listing the date codes (thanks for the pointer to that thread), I would concur that the stress cracks appear to be a SEROIUS design flaw. While they may have "reparied" the units sent in, it does not sound like they have solved the fundamental design problem to begin with. So, I can only assume that the cracks will reappear. Bummer, because I kind of wanted to get a ST, but think I will have to look around for another deal, maybe a MeriGold. Has Magellan made any public statement regarding this problem? Thanks for all of the feedback, and keep it coming. It is the only way that newbies ;) like myself become educated. Thanks again.

dbgt

The End?

I sent to Magellan my Sportrack Pro with 5 big cracks 2 month ago, today I received from magellan a new unit with 2 cracks!. :):DB)

Inmediatly I went to visit the main locator of Barcelona to show him the new cracks and after inspecting with a magnifying glass some units he give me another unit that seems OK.

Thanks to everybody who submited photos and posts in this forum, that pics helps me to let magellan spain know that cracks are a known problem in USA, specially one of robree, the USA coins in the table were decisive to demonstrate that the sportrack of the photo was not mine.

I read about the problems associated with the sportraks and I pulled mine (Sportrak Pro) out of the case after winter storage and sure enough, there were small cracks on each of the bottom 4 screws. I called the number for Magellan and was given a RA # and was told to ship it to the Tulsa OK service center. That was last week Monday, May 3rd 2004. I got notice via e-mail about the general progress (recieved shipped etc...). I recieved the unit back on May 12 2004. The unit I recieved back was not the same one that I shipped, as the serial numbers do not match. The one I shipped was s/n CH 035186 d/c 8302. The unit I recieved is s/n ch 018310 d/c 2202. Also included in the package was a windsheild mount, a belt mount case and a set of manuals.

The service was fast and the freebies are nice, I just wonder who will get my old unit and whose did I get???? I hope it doesn't develop any new problems, tho I do think the screws will crack again as I can already see kind of a pattern in the plastic, tho no new cracks have shown up yet. Maybe we can start a new kind of GPS game based on the unit serial numbers and track them across the country via Magellan service, kinda like a travel bug???? B)B)

I guess we wait and see.

Good luck all

ksphotoguy

western kansas

Edited by ksphotoguy

After two months of trying to get an RA, out of the blue Magellan sent me RA instructions. I got my GPSr back last week after about an 8 day turnaround. According to the invoice, they replaced my unit entirely rather than repair it. A quick inspection of the unit reveals that two of the six screws show signs of bulging, but there are no cracks (yet). I'll have to keep an eye my replacement. I suspect it will not be long before I'll be contacting them again...

The "new" date code is 2203... I think my old one was 4702. Goodies included in the shipment back were a data cable, padded carry case, manuals, lanyard, and a pair of Energizer alkalines.

Holy Cow, I just checked mine after stumbling upon this thread. Have had it a couple years, and I have small cracks as well. Honestly, I was not impressed with the unit anyway, but this is worse. Unit also bounces signal like rubber. Always have been a Garmin customer, but tried to save a few bucks on a deal. Never again, never had a problem with Garmin. This is my second Magellan (3?? way back, before Garmin switch) and last Magellan unit.

Contacted Magellan by email, took six days to get email reply. Tried within that time to contact by phone. After leaving three messages, and having hold time of two hours on three calls; abandoned the phone method. Sent Sportrak back with RA # as instructed in email. No promises or suggestions of any kind what will take place. Real anxious for an answer from Magellan. I keep my equipment mint. I have had it probably two years, and it probably has only three hours of use on it. Possible mistake straying from garmin on this one chance purchase.

I have had it probably two years, and it probably has only three hours of use on it. Possible mistake straying from garmin on this one chance purchase.

If you've only used it for three hours in two years, I don't see how you can get an accurate feel for how the unit performs. I probably have close to 2 thousand hours on my magellans and have been very happy with them.

Edit: recalculated and figured 2 thousand was a closer estimate.

--Marky

Edited by Marky

Saw all these post about the mentioned "cracks of doom" to the sportrak... I have the pro... Anyhow, seeing that magellan had apparently taken adequte steps to remedy the problem, I just asked them to upgrade. They responded by saying that I could upgrade to the meridum gold for $150 and send them my sportrak pro.. I had to barter with them, but I was able to upgrade to a Meridian Plat and a 32 mg card for only $106.00 including shipping. They were even able to send it out to me prior to them recieving the sportrak pro. I did supply them with a tracking number though. I got my platinum today and although bigger than the pro, I do like it alot.. So here is my final conclusion.... I will give magellan credit as they would have quickly fixed my pro to warranty with zero questions asked. They were able; with a combination of price and customer service give me an upgrade that didnt make feel like I was getting completely ripped off for. Shipping was fast, and am happy with the outcome... I just would hope that after all this, such a simple problem as to thin of plastic would not comprimise what I feel to be superior electronics compared to other brands of GPS. All in all I will stay with magellan in the future. But a problem like this needs to be remedied so magellan can keep there loyal customers that they have worked hard to get.

Overall experience- :laughing::ph34r::rolleyes::blink::unsure::ph34r::blink::laughing::huh::o

Ill do business again.

I have a sportrak map. got it for xmas 03 and has started getting the cracks. I talked to numerous guys at Magellan and finally after working on one guy long enough, the best deal i could get was trade mine in on the sportrak color for $150. i went with it since they were willing to send that one out first and when i get return mine. Can't have any down time with summer coming. All in all it was a pain in the butt but i got color now. hope theres no problems there