Sportrak Map Stress Cracks.

SBPhishy

I just wanted to post this so anyone else who had this problem would have some info on the subject. I just emailed Magellan this regarding the SporTrak Map:

--------------------------------------------------------------

I have noticed very small cracks are starting to develop where the screws go that hold the unit together. They are the middle screws on both sides of the unit. I have only had this unit for a few months, and during that time, I have been VERY careful with it. It has been kept in a protective case, and has never been dropped or banged against anything. I was curious if there was any way to remedy this problem, and if it was fixed or replaced, what guarantee is there that the cracks will not start to develop again? I like the SporTrak Map a lot and would hate to have to switch to another unit because of this. Do these cracks compromise the waterproofing of the unit?

Thank you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this was their response:

-------------------------------------

Mr Wheeler, we have identified the issue to be with a the plastic that was used in a certain lot of receivers manufactured. Please contact the repair department and arrange for the receiver to be repaired under warranty. 800) 707-9971

Thank you and have a great day,

Robert Davis

Magellan Technical Support

800) 707-9971 - USA & Canada

909) 394-5000 -Outside USA

Thales Navigation

960 Overland Court

San Dimas, CA 92407

---------------------------------------------------------------

I was also curious about people who have had Magellan repair this. Have more cracks developed? They state that it was the type of plastic used. Does the new plastic offer a complete fix of the problem?

There ya go!

Edited by SBPhishy

I have three cracks now, and two of my coworkers that bought SporTrak Maps at the same time also have cracks. I remember some discussion of this back in the August/September timeframe. I have been trying to determine how I would survive without my GPSr while it is being repaired. :unsure:

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out the same thing. Maybe I should buy a new one to have while my SporTrak is getting fixed... :unsure: I'm curious if after they fix them, if they are permanently fixed. Like if they use a different type of plastic which is better or something. They seemed to say that, but that could just be so they dont admit to making cheap crap. I guess we'll see.

Anyone else?

I have a Sportrak Topo - same thing - a very small crack starting to appear. Would never have noticed it as I have a case for it. My buddy has a STM - his has one small crack starting at the middle screw too.

Sounds like maybe more than a case of a problem with the plastic in one bunch. Sounds more like a slight design flaw.

Brian

Yeah, that's what i've always thought. I think they are just trying to avoid admitting to the real problem. They figure, the cracks are so small, most people won't even notice them. And if they do notice them, they probably wont get around to sending them in. And i bet magellan hopes that most of them are out of warranty already. I love Magellan, but that kind of sucks. I really like the spotraks because of their size, but am now considering getting a Merigold. I heard when you send stuff in to Magellan under warranty, they send you back all kinds of cool stuff though. Like a car mount, and a case, and some other crap. At least that's cool.

Argg, I just had a look at my Sportrak Map (bought last May) and it has small cracks under each of the 6 screws! I guess canadian winter doesn't help, but still, it's supposed to resist low temperatures according to the manual. I'll have to send it back to Magellan before the warranty expires and hope it will come back home soon... I was wondering how long it takes for Magellan to repair the unit and send it back. Does anybody know?

It seems that this is a very common problem, as I thought it was before this thread. People just don't happen to see those very easy to miss cracks. I didn't notice them at all until I read about them. I'd be willing to bet that it came new like that. Sorry to be a bringer of bad news, but I guess it's better to know now, than after the warranty expires. I wish they would do something about this design flaw.

I have heard that they are pretty quick about repair stuff.

Edited by SBPhishy

I purchased a Sportrak Pro a week ago during my lunch hour. I didn't have a chance to look at it at the store when I bought it so I opened it after work. Well wouldn't you know it had the cracks I've read so much about. I was so angry! Of course I returned it to the store with no problems but this was my first GPS purchase. Now I'm just in a holding pattern until I read some reviews on the Garmin 60c. I'm more confused than ever on what to buy.

My SporTrak Map was my first GPS and I have really liked since I got it. It really sucks that there is this more or less inevitable flaw on these great units. It's not like they are cheapie units either. If they cost 70 dollars or so, I would understand, but the SporTrak Pro is around 250 isnt it? That's a lot of money! I like the SporTraks a lot better than the eTrex's because of the button layout etc. I would still like to know if the cracks go away permanently after you send it in for repair. I think Magellan should definitely take this very seriously in that the SporTraks are very often entry level units. For someone to buy their first GPS like JaySeeAre did, and have it be very flawed, is a big deterrant (sp?) for the Magellan brand. Now JaySeeAre is thinking about getting a Garmin! Magellan needs to do something or they will lose many customers. I am getting a Meridian very soon, but it's only because of the price. If money were no object, I would get the new 60s also. I love Magellan, but this is terrible.

Edited by SBPhishy

My Sportrak Pro also has about four cracks around the screws.

It is obvious the gorilla in the factory is over torquing the screws.

Maybe it is so that unit will withstand their water test.

I don't intend to use my Sportrak as a flotation device.

Common sense says to back off these screws if water protection isn't a factor.

I backed out all six screws and then nudged them down 1/4 turn.

Hopefully my cracking problem with stop progressing now.

I can't believe how many people have this problem!

I also can't believe how much Magellan is lying to us by saying this

we have identified the issue to be with a the plastic that was used in a certain lot of receivers manufactured

It's crazy. They send people replacements, and the same thing happens again.

A waterproof case? I refuse to carry mine in a waterproof case. These units are sold as waterproof, and they better be. If Garmin can pull it off, why can't they?

I think if they plan on keeping the SporTraks around, they better think of a permanent fix for all this.

Wait, that's what your stress cracks look like? Man, what are you guys complaining about. I woke up one morning, and mine looked like this. I think it has a little more to do with than just overtight screws! :D:o:D

178480_1000.jpg

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Edited by SBPhishy

I found really small cracks on mine too - I looked and didn't see anything, until I saw the picture and looked again. I just called the Tech support number given on the top post for Thales. They offered to either repair it for $45.00 or send me out a replacement case for $35.00 provided I understood that working on it myself would void the warranty. I asked them if the stress cracks were covered by the warranty (since I never dropped it) and once I had explained that, they were very nice and gave me a Return Authorization immediately with instructions on how to return it. I'll make sure I save all my waypoints and other data before it goes & I'll repost as to hopw long it took to get back.

I just got off of the phone with the wonderful people at tech support. I found a crack in my sportrac map that I just got for Christmas. I ask the lady if they knew what the problem was that was causing the cracks. She told me that she nor any of her coworkers were aware of any problem with cracks. Im not sure how she knew about her coworkers unless they discussed the problem... that doesnt exist. She told me to send the unit back for repair and that I would have to pay the shipping. The whole time she was on the phone she sounded like she was eating her lunch. I hung up and called Radio Shaq, and they told me that I could exchange it for another unit even though I no longer have the upc code because I mailed it in for a rebate that Ill probably never receive. Im going to take it back later today. I hope they dont change their minds by the time that I get there!

Took my unit back to Radio Shaq and they exchanged it ..no problem. It was purchased on 12/24 so it was within their 30 day return period but the guy didnt even look at my reciept. Since I didnt have my upc, he just took the cracked unit and put it in the new box. I backed the screws off a little in this one. I hope it works!

I just got a Meridian Gold because of this problem. I am going to sent mine in for repair, and then probably sell it. The Meridians do not have the same problem because they are built quite differently. From what I have heard, they seem to last for a long time, and one guy was saying that he even swam a third of a mile with his meridian, and it was fine afterwards.

Ok, I have made multiple calls to the Magellan Tech. Support, and they finally made an offer I can live with. They are contacting the retailer so I do not get hit with the 15% restocking fee, and I am going to pay the $5.00 difference in price, and upgrade to the Meridian Gold. The only down side is I will not have a GPSr for 1 – 2 weeks. NO FUN. :( But Magellan has helped me correct the situation to my satisfaction! That carries a lot of respect as far as I am concerned.

A note to those of you dealing with Magellan on your units…

I was assured :rolleyes: by a Tech. Support Supervisor, that the problem has been fixed. BUT you, as the consumer must press the date code with them to insure your replacement case is after the magic date.

This forum has been very helpfull. Thanks everyone :)

Edited by Cherokeecacher
I just called the Tech support number given on the top post for Thales. They offered to either repair it for $45.00 or send me out a replacement case for $35.00 provided I understood that working on it myself would void the warranty.

This is BS !!!

Magellan clearly knows these cracking cases are epidemic,

and are raping its customers for replacements cases at $35 a pop.

Most probably the replacement cases will also crack.

(Since several here bought new cracked Sportraks in last two months)

Magellan should fest up to the widespread problem,

fire their mechanical engineer, offer FREE reworked cases

to all owners whether in warantee or not.

At the very least provide the cases at cost, probably less than $10.

Crappity, crappity, crap!

Finally remembered to check out my ST Map when I got home from work.

Bought this unit in September... sure enough there are at least three cracks forming that I can see!!!

I backed the screws off a little and am trying to decide what to do. I have lots of time left in my warranty.

Its a year right??

I wish I would have known, its been a month and a bit since I was last caching and could have gotten it repaired then. Now I finally have some time in the near future to get back out there, and I am not anxious to send my unit away!

Arghhh!!!

Scott :rolleyes:

Thats cool about the 5 dollar upgrade, Cherokeecacher. I love mine. Used it all day today, Direct Routing and caching, and it works awesome. I still love the design and the size of the SporTracks, but after i send mine in and get the cracks fixed, I think I'm going to sell it.

Anyone want to buy a spotrack map? :huh:

Magellan seriously needs to get this problem fixed though. It tarnishes their name horribly in my opinion.

I purchased a Magellan SporTrak Map on DEC 28th 2003 so far so good. I checked my unit and no cracks. I did however notice what maybe a forming weak spot near one of the screws (Small line / ripple). I took the advice of the forum and backed the screws off a touch. I hope this will prevent the cracks from forming.

Thanks for the heads up. You guys may have saved me from a bunch of heart ache.

Edited by Finler

My SporTrak yellow model (basic) is showing signs of cracks forming on the middle screws. You can see a discolored line, showing the stress fractures beginning.

What's the basic warranty on these, 90 days?

Is there a way we humans can tell if our replacements are from the latest batch of good plastic (date built code or something)?

Thanks,

Janx

Janx, you are still under the 30 day period from the retailer, so you have an extra option.

1)Return it to the retailer/exchange it with them or you could return it to them and pick another Magellan product not in the SporTrack series.

2)You can send it to Magellan and they will replace the case for free under the 1 year Man. Warranty. If you choose this option, I would first call Magellan and ask what date code starts the “fixed” case production. You can find the date code on your model by removing the battery compartment, and looking on the sticker inside the unit.

3)I will e-mail you information on option 3

I knew it was too good to be true to pick up a Sportrak basic at Fry's on sale for $99 and a rebate on top of that to boot=$69 final cost! Thought it was a good deal. So I guess I'll examine mine when I get home and keep my fingers crossed. I've only been walking with it once, so I hope no stress cracks have developed.

I'm very new to the sport (haven't yet tried to find a cache yet), and am looking forward to geocaching adventures!

Im not too enthusiastic about the case design of Magellan GPS units.

Ive had: 4000XL, ColorTrak, Meridian Platinum.

All of these have had case design problems, including the fact that you would have to use the power/data port screw for mounting a wrist strap. I have had the Platinum bumped out of my hands and hit the ground.

I prefer the GPS315 because it's the best one ive ever had.

The carry strap does not interfer with the power/data port, plus it fits comfortably in the hand. Still have this GPS, and it is fun to use caching sometimes. Problem is that these units are factory sealed.

The platinum is the best Geocaching device I know, but not having a carry strap, it had bumped out of my hand when I got in my car too quickly in the rain. It did not come with a lanyard or a place to put one. One problem with the Magellan GPS units is that I was not able to set a higher resolution for the tracklogging, and also I prefer the tracklog to segment each time the GPS is cycled on and off.

Edited by GOT GPS?
I have a SporTrack Pro Marine. I received it on December 26, 2003, and It already has “the cracks”. I have enjoyed it, and it does get great reception in heavy foliage, but I have not fallen in love with it to the point that I just cannot send it back and exchange it for a different model. :)

Less than a month old and its already having problems??!!! :):P

Im not too enthusiastic about the case design of Magellan GPS units.

[ ... ]

I prefer the GPS315 because it's the best one ive ever had.

The carry strap does not interfer with the power/data port, plus it fits comfortably in the hand. Still have this GPS, and it is fun to use caching sometimes. Problem is that these units are factory sealed.

Yeah. On those, the lanyard mounts into the battery case which, over the course of a caching day, unscrews and sends the unit crashing to the ground while the battery door remains safely on your wriststrap.

(My first GPS was a 330 which shared an injection mold with the 315 and predecessors.)

And yes, the case is welded shut but if you notice on the Magellan mailing lists, there are WAY more complaints about getting water in the ST and Meridians than there ever were on the ultrasonically-welded units. Maybe this is market share, but I suspect it's just plain a better design...

...but do agree that the next applicant for mechanical engineer at Magellan should be required to wear his proposed design (including bathtub and shower time) for at least a month before finalizing it.

And yeah, my ST Map case has cracks, too. :)

CC58 was upset about the $35.00 and $45.00 costs for the replacement cases that Magellan offered to me - you know, I think that was actually pretty fair. Sure, it's more than they cost to make, but have you ever tried to buy a fender for a car? Now that's price-gouging! Besides, those prices were for a case the Tech Support people thought I had cracked myself. As soon as I said it should be under warranty, they took care of me immediately. You really can't beat that. I haven't gotten my GPS back yet, but they told me in an e-mail it would probably be two or three days in the shop, before it was sent back. Also, I was given an interesting list from Magellan concerning how they would take my GPS back as a trade-in on a better model. They offered a Meridian Gold to me for $150.00 (along with a bunch of other models I couldn't afford) - is that a good deal? I thought Meridian's, with 16 MB built in base map and the SD Card would be a pretty good choice for an upgrade. It can use the new routing software too, which the Sportrak Map just can't handle. I also already have the Streets & Destinations software - I would love to be able to have a 32 MB map in my GPS!

Meridian Gold's are great. I have mine with a 64 meg card and Direct Route, and it's everything I could ever hope for. They have my SporTrak Map right now, because of stress cracks. 150$ is a good deal for a MeriGold, but not if they keep your spotrak map. If it is a standard sportrak, thats not bad, but I think you mentioned you had a spotrak map. You can find new MeriGolds for 200, so you are actually getting 50 bucks for your 130-150 dollar GPS which I think sucks a lot. They are attemting to completely rip you off, in my opinion.

Overall, it's their lack of insight and faulty designing that causes this problem in the first place. They really need to beg forgiveness from all the SporTrak owners, and come up with a fix, or a redesign of the sportraks, and offer them free of charge, or for a VERY reasonable price to all the current spotrak owners. I had mine for about a month when I noticed the cracks, and I will not be surprised when I get it back, and it starts to crack again.

I love Magellan, but I consider this to be a serious issue. So, I'll stick with my Meridian for now.

Edited by SBPhishy
Also, I was given an interesting list from Magellan concerning how they would take my GPS back as a trade-in on a better model.  They offered a Meridian Gold to me for $150.00 (along with a bunch of other models I couldn't afford) - is that a good deal?  I thought Meridian's, with 16 MB built in base map and the SD Card would be a pretty good choice for an upgrade.  It can use the new routing software too, which the Sportrak Map just can't handle.  I also already have the Streets & Destinations software - I would love to be able to have a 32 MB map in my GPS!

Check this price out MeriGold

This seems like a better deal, and for an extra 30 bucks or so you have two GPSr's

Yeah. On those, the lanyard mounts into the battery case which, over the course of a caching day, unscrews and sends the unit crashing to the ground while the battery door remains safely on your wriststrap.

Robert, I figured you of all people would know better, since you write all those great reviews on GPS stuff. The lanyard does not mount into the battery case at all. It mounts above it, to the unit itseld. You can take off the battery door, and change batteries, and all that, and the lanyard stays attached to the Meridian.

Just to let you know... :P

Robert, I figured you of all people would know better, since you write all those great reviews on GPS stuff. The lanyard does not mount into the battery case at all. It mounts above it, to the unit itseld. You can take off the battery door, and change batteries, and all that, and the lanyard stays attached to the Meridian.

Just to let you know... ;)

I'm 99% sure that the 315, about which that was written, shares an injection mold with the 330. I'm 100% sure that on the 330, the lanyard mounts to the screw that goes through the battery cover and into the unit and after a day of use with the unit, once that comes unscrewed, the lanyard will be on your wrist with the battery cover still near your hand and the GPS will be on the ground with the batteries nearby. The screw goes THROUGH the battery cover on those models.

I realize the Meridian (which I also own) has a different case and a different mounting scheme. "Got GPS" is completely correct on the 3xx case: the lanyard doesn't interfere with power/data and the case is sonicly welded. But the lanyard attachment has a _different_ set of annoying problems than the Meridian does.

I think the subject receiver changed and you didn't notice, SBPhishy. "Just to let you know... :P"

Ah.... my bad... ;) I actually remember reading that a week ago, and thinking, "huh, thats stupid about those 330's. why would they do that with the lanyard..." Now that you've said that, it all sounds familiar. I do apologize. I'm glad, for your sake, that you were right. I've come to trust your reviews quite a bit.

Me? I put my foot in my mouth all the time... no skin off my teeth.

:P