Injury At A Cache And Need Advice

Snideswipe

Ok, I totally wish I lived in Miami and needed a "caching buddy" right now...

Let's see...imports and is surrounded by lots of hot cars and hot-car parts....check.

Kickin' horn-rim style throwback glasses....check.

Beauty pageant winner....check.

Sassy......check.

Cat lover...check.

Modest.....check.

AND she likes playing GPS games, uses a webcam, and has a website...

I can only hope that the "Dane" you are becoming attached to is named Rover.

Hope you feel better soon!  :unsure:  :mad:

...sigh.

Look at ju66l3r turning on the charm!

Sorry you were hurt, but here's my 2 cents worth.

1 - definitely notify them of the pipe

2 - clean that wound... yuk... tetanus shot is a great idea.

3 - remember you cache at your own risk, hence the disclaimer on cache pages, so at least, include the killer pipe in your log so others are aware of it's presence.

4 - litigate, no way. don't waste your time and money... that's more time and money you can spend doing more caches.

meanwhile i hope your leg is better. :lol:

Normally I would be appalled by someone even asking to be reimbursed for medical expenses for cutting their leg because they were not watching where they were going but.... after seeing the before and after pictures. OMG!! your head now looks like someone's leg with a scratch on it!!!!

BTW we don't have any birds like that around here, could you catch one and mail it to me?

Cindy (the wound care nurse) said without hesitation she had seen worse.  :P  More power to her.

She's a better woman than me. :lol: It's hard to believe that there is worse than that. Quite a job you've got Cindy. God bless ya. And God bless the poor b****** in that photo.

She treats wounds that don't heal naturally so take that first wound with all the nasty dead, rotting skin and add it to the second one and thats what she deals with.

Yup....I've seen shotgun blasts worse than that.....and they lived, too. So did this guy, but last I heard, he'd had 20 surgeries to rebuild his face and many more to go. Kinda makes a scratch from a metal pole seem irrelevant, doesn't it?

Hope your leg gets better soon, and I hope that pipe gets removed sooner! :lol:

She treats wounds that don't heal naturally so take that first wound with all the nasty dead, rotting skin and add it to the second one and thats what she deals with.

Nothing reeks worse than gangrene........nothing!

She is of the opinion that gangrene comes in a close second behind wounds infected with pseudomonas bacteria. I will have to take yall's opinion as I don't care to find out.

I do know my foot smelled bad when I spilled molten brass on it. I guess it hurt too. :lol:

Edited by ChrisCindy
Where did you get that photo from?  Do you actually know the guy?

On Rotten.com it says he ran into a semi on his motorcycle. On Sparky's site it says it was an M-80 firework (mini dynamite)

Definitely an M-80. I got the pic from one of our trauma surgeons who got it from a medical journal several years ago.

Rotten.com is full of erroneous info. They harvest images from all over the net (about 25% of theirs are fake) and make up their own stories for those that they don't know anything about. Funny they said motorcycle and semi, as that's their most popular story to add to an unknown injury (72% of the time it involve a motorcyle, a semi, or both, according to Web Fallacies and Fakes book).

EDIT: An m-80 is the equivalent to a 1/4 stick of dynamite.

Edited by Sparky-Watts
Where did you get that photo from?  Do you actually know the guy?

On Rotten.com it says he ran into a semi on his motorcycle. On Sparky's site it says it was an M-80 firework (mini dynamite)

Definitely an M-80. I got the pic from one of our trauma surgeons who got it from a medical journal several years ago.

Rotten.com is full of erroneous info. They harvest images from all over the net (about 25% of theirs are fake) and make up their own stories for those that they don't know anything about. Funny they said motorcycle and semi, as that's their most popular story to add to an unknown injury (72% of the time it involve a motorcyle, a semi, or both, according to Web Fallacies and Fakes book).

EDIT: An m-80 is the equivalent to a 1/4 stick of dynamite.

So what's the whole story?

The whole story is he was drinking and smoking pot with his buddies, and they dared him to hold a lit M-80 in his mouth. They thought it was going to be like a game of chicken, and that he'd spit it out when the fuse got short. He either misunderstood (see sentence one) or wasn't fast enough (again, see sentence one). Twenty surgeries to rebuild his face last I'd heard, and they were estimating 40 to 50 more before they were done.

I won't even get into the shotgun suicide failure that came into the trauma unit awake that had less of a face than this guy. He lived, also.

The whole story is he was drinking and smoking pot with his buddies, and they dared him to hold a lit M-80 in his mouth. They thought it was going to be like a game of chicken, and that he'd spit it out when the fuse got short. He either misunderstood (see sentence one) or wasn't fast enough (again, see sentence one). Twenty surgeries to rebuild his face last I'd heard, and they were estimating 40 to 50 more before they were done.

I won't even get into the shotgun suicide failure that came into the trauma unit awake that had less of a face than this guy. He lived, also.

I'm glad I don't have your job...

I have to agree with the majority. Notify the park NOW! As has been pointed out by a prior park ranger and prior councilman, while contacting the park, ask about obtaining medical assistance.

I also agree filing suit is not the way to go on this. First, as has also been previously pointed out, in the grand scheme of injuries, yours is but a minor injury. Second, your photo of the pipe seems to show it is plainly visible to the public. (I could be wrong on that if someone is holding back the branch or something). And finally, every day you wait to get that wound PROFESSIONALLY cleaned and get a tetanus shot, the less likely you are to win. And if you do win, it is likely the less money you would get.

Defendant attorney: Ms. Snideswipe, please explain to the jury just why did you wait over 4 days to go to the doctor after shoving your leg against a plainly visible RUSTY pipe?

So, what would you guys do?

CITO!

Looks like a fence post. Go to your local hardware store and buy a fence post cap and a hack saw if you don't have one. Go cut the fence post off close to the ground and put the cap on. No need to bother the park managers, just do what needs doing.

If you are uncomfortable with cutting the post, just put the cap on.

Do your part in keeping your parks clean. You do CITO when you get a chance, right?

As for your injuries, my caching partner isn't happy unless she comes home with some type of cut, scrape, or bruise.

As for your injuries, my caching partner isn't happy unless she comes home with some type of cut, scrape, or bruise.

I'm not sure I WANT cuts and bruises, but I often get them, and actually my favorite caching day was the day I scraped up a good portion of the front of my leg (I still have some scars from that) and scraped my car bumper. By the end of that trip, after several mountain caches and alot of bushwacking, my parents, my friend Jodi and I were all sitting around happily showing each other our various injuries. Kind of like a brag fest. It was fun!

Imgine: Carleen: "I got this scrape falling off the rock I was climbing to get to the cache," Jodi: "Well that's nothing, I bashed my finger moving a rock from in front of the cache." Carleen: "Yeah well I bled all over the place." Jodi: "But look, my finger is more purple than your leg and I have 16 scratches to your 12." Carleen: "But I have more bruises." Dad: "I feel sick because you wouldn't carry my beer for me on the long hike."

:lol:

Edited because I constantly misspell scraped.

Edited by carleenp
Dad: "I feel sick because you wouldn't carry my beer for me on the long hike."   

Now that is an unforgiveable sin. How could you put your health and well-being concerns BEFORE making sure that the 'ultimate beverage' was safely transported?

PS-sounds very much like something my Dad would say as well. :lol: