"sportrak Topo" Data Vs. Mapsend Topo

Does anyone know whether the data that comes pre-loaded in a Sportrak Topo is the same as the data in Mapsend Topo software? The Sportrak appears to have 108MB pre-loaded in it, which seems pretty handy, but not if it is less detailed than Mapsend. Also, is it true that the Mapsend software allows viewing of the maps on a PC and GPSR, but the Sportrak Topo package has no PC map viewing capability?

Edited by Karma Hunter

According to Magellans website the full version of MapSend Topo is included in your unit.

And yes if you have the MapSend software you can view the maps from the software on your pc. You can also cut a portion of the detailed map and download it to your GPSr. 16 mb in your case. You can also upload/download waypoints/routes/tracks to and from your GPSr.

The best I can figure by dowing some math with mapsend TOPO is the sportrack topo includes all the elevation data for all of the continetnal USA, all of HI, and most of Alaska (about 80%). But the unit will not contain the smaller streets (trails), POI (I think) or wateways that you find in Mapsend TOPO or S&D. It will come with the standard major highways-interstates, airports, park, and waterways that you may find in a sportrack pro's basemap.

Wyatt W.

I hate the work involed with spell check.

If you check Magellan's website they have a section where you can download user manuals. Take a look at the Sportrak Topo Manual Supplement at:

Sportrak Topo Manual Supplement This illustrates the difference between what the Topo comes with and what can be added from the Mapsend CD.

The Topo has the elevation/topo data and major roads and waterways etc. loaded, but points of interest, minor roads, etc. can be loaded from the Mapsend Topo CD included with the unit. Depending on what you are doing, having all that detail can be too much for an urban area. It even shows minor shopping centers and industrial complexes!

As for the 16MB user space, I loaded most of Maryland, a huge chunk of Central and Western PA and the Highlands of WV and still have room left.

The topo data is not highly detailed. It shows the mountain, but not some of the mountain features that you might be able to see on a standard USGS Quad. I haven't verified, but I don't think its too far off, though. The road detail was fairly up to date, some highway changes in the past couple of years were included. It even showed some driveways and tractor paths through fields! I noticed a couple of roads around shopping centers where I think someone just guessed at where they should be programmed, but they don't really matter much. If its important, you can just map it yourself.

Not sure what you mean about the Topo package not being PC viewable. You can view the maps on a PC and download/upload etc. to the GPS. It comes with the Mapsend Topo CD.

This is my first GPS and I'm real happy with it. I've used older expensive units before and this seems to work better. It gets good reception (not yet tested under foliage) and battery life is true to manufacturer's claims. Puts me right on top or within a few feet of geocaches.