Hypothetical Question

Runaround

An interesting debate has cropped up in our local club. I'm looking for some feedback from a wider audience.

Assume there is an event cache in your area. You attend the event and discover that 2 temporary traditional caches have been hidden near the event site by the owner of the event cache. The coords for these caches are only available to those who attend the event and the caches are removed at the end of the event. In addition to attending the event, you find the 2 temporary caches.

When you get around to logging the event cache, do you:

A. Log the cache as "Found" 3 times, once for the event and once for each of the temporary caches.

B. Log the cache as "Found" once, the temporary caches were just a part of the event.

C. Other, please explain.

It should be noted that the owner of the event cache doesn't care either way.

When you get around to logging the event cache, do you:

A. Log the cache as "Found" 3 times, once for the event and once for each of the temporary caches.

B. Log the cache as "Found" once, the temporary caches were just a part of the event.

C. Other, please explain.

It should be noted that the owner of the event cache doesn't care either way.

"Everyone plays their own game. There is no sense in trying to police another's mindset as long as it falls within the general parameters of the game." Me (quoting myself from the poll that I posted on 10/23.)

I have no problem with that. This isn't a race with a bucket o' gold at the end. Some people want stats and some people think that stats are dumb. The conflict starts when one person thinks that their idea of the game is the "RIGHT" one. Anyone who doesn't play the game their way is then dumb, or better yet, out to destroy geocaching. See also the first paragraph of this post.

Sn :blink::bad: gans

Now, this is an interesting issue. Oddly it was answered in the forums some time ago by the Approvers if you'd kindly check this link.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...+event+ca\

ches

Further, it should be noted that if you check event cache listings around the country, and we have, many folks log these temporary finds. The practice is far from uncommon.

We have logged temporary caches at events since we were told it was acceptable by a member of the group here in our town who seems to consider themselves the law and the experts on the sport. Interestingly, these are the same folks who are now calling "foul" when many of us did the same thing for two recent caching events.

If the event owner has not objections to this practice, then we feel it is no one's business if someone logs the temporary caches or not.

We have a related question. Is it right to log an event cache that has a planned agenda when one shows up during the last 30 minutes of it (after caching all day) and has not participated in the total program? Isn't that an attempt to boost numbers just as much as logging temporary caches at a event is? What makes that action right and logging temporary caches wrong? We have also seen folks walk into an October event cache we attended, tour the room in 10 minutes flat, leave and then log the cache. And that is considered taking part in the event? It would seem that both of these behaviors are rude and unfair to the person or persons who planned that event.

If in your mind you believe that you are correct in logging a cache and the administration of geocaching.com has no objections, then we believe is your business and your right to do so. In other words we suggest when it comes to whether or not you can log temporary caches at an event.... MYOB!

I couldn't give two hoots if someone wants to log an event cache twice. It's their find count and there is no competition here. So if you find a cache at an event, knock yourself out.

I gues my question is, what's the point? People at the event seek these things out, so what's wrong with using the event cache page?

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

So all we need is a locationless Navicache cache. You could then log this locationless cache every time you find a cache listed on another website.

Wow. I can hear the panties twisting already.

Scary,

I was just thinking of the Navicache Cache Machine Geocaching.com event.

Everyone hides a Navicache, finds it for the event, logs it on NV, then once again for each NV find on GC as part of the official event finds.

Hooah!

"A" !

Our Association has always allowed, and encouraged attendees to log each temp as a find on the event page. The quality of each of our temps has always exceded the average 'traditional' cache.

Bottom line, let the organizers decide how they want to handle the logs.

"A" !

Our Association has always allowed, and encouraged attendees to log each temp as a find on the event page. The quality of each of our temps has always exceded the average 'traditional' cache.

Bottom line, let the organizers decide how they want to handle the logs.

So by rights, I can allow Two for Tuesday's on all my caches as the owner?

That falls short of the community standard.

That the caches are of a higher quality doesn’t' make them more approvable as temporary caches.

It comes down to numbers. If the numbers didn't matter nobody would be asking if they could log the even three times for the temporary caches at the event. But because they do seem to matter, then the caches themselves should be legitmitate approved caches. The ones that we can and do log and which the geocaching community frowns upon posting multiple finds on.