How Do I Find A Cache With A Gps?

qhtxvckfkfl

I have now figured out you MUST be outside for your GPS unit to work. I can now:

-get an accurate reading: LAT&LONG.

-set the altimeter (13 feet is correct-I am currently in a low-lying coastal area)

-set the compass

Now, how do I find a cache if it is hidden deep in a pine forest, 7 miles fown the trail??? At the trail head, I could find my current LAT/LONG but where do I go from there??? Can anyone help me, please? It seems that it would be easier if I could go out for the first time with an experienced geocacher who could help me to use my new GPS unit. Thank you!

Well, you need to enter a waypoint for the cache you are seeking, then get the GPS to show you the direction to that cache. Not knowing any more about the specific GPS you have hampers instructions on how to do this, but if you have one with a compass and altimeter, you probably can hook a cable to it and download waypoints. I use EasyGPS for this, which seems to work okay.

Keep in mind... often it's easiest (not to mention more environmentally friendly) to stay on a trail until you're fairly near the cache.

Cache in, trash out... have fun!

It would help to know what type of GPS you are using. (Also, what cache you are looking for, so we can read the cache description.)

Most GPS's allow you to enter a "mark" with the coordinates of the cache. They then have a "go to" function which will tell you distance and bearing to the cache.

Once you post your type of GPS, someone with that unit will probably give you complete instructions.

The cache description will generally give you some idea how far from the trail it is. You probably don't need to go 7 miles off-trail to find it. Generally you can follow a trail to within some reasonable distance.

(Clearly you won't be moving directly towards the cache while following the trail, but it should seem reasonable. Do you have a map that shows the trails?)

Good luck and welcome to the obsession. :bad:

I have a Garmin e Trex Vista 24MB

I also use a garmin and the find feature will point you in the right direction. I have mine set up so I have a pointer showing me which direction to travel,and also telling me distance to final destination. You can learn how to do that in the instruction book. With 24 mb you should buy the mapsource cd so you can download detailed maps. I use the maps and have wonderful success, 125 caches in 4 months. If you live anywhere near se pennsylvania I'd be glad to do a day of local caching to help out a fellow cacher.

Well, had I not moved, I would have been glad to hunt a few with you... I used to be in Pensacola. I would suggest for your first cache you look for one with a relatively low difficulty rating, preferably in an area you are somewhat familiar with. You can also check out "Benchmarking" for another fun thing to do with your GPS http://www.geocaching.com/mark/

The steps I would take...

1. Download EasyGPS

2. Read your GPS manual, and find out how to hook up the PC cable. Also check out the section on "Navigating to a waypoint"

3. Go to the main Groundspeak page and punch in your zip code.

4. When the list of caches comes up, click the checkbox near any that interest you, and download them as a .loc file.

5. Use EasyGPS to download the caches into your Vista.

6. Get a little notebook, and note any useful information listed in the description of the cache, as well as the code for the cache. (i.e. GC1744 or whatnot) Many cache listings will mention good places to park to start your search, things you should look for, etc.

7. Go find them!

The quickest way to enter a waypoint is to simply press in the click stick (depress it straight into the GPS like a button) for a few seconds until the "Mark Waypoint" screen pops up. You'll see a picture of a guy crouching and holding a flag. Use the click stick to highlight the "Location" area of the screen - just keep pushing the stick toward you or away from you momentarily to jump through the different "fields" on the screen. When you have the "Location" area picked it will change color (black background, white letters) - now press the click stick down (into the unit) to access the coordinate entry screen.

In the coordinate entry screen you navigate using the click stick. The arrows just above the "OK" are used to skip over entries that you do not wish to change. Set the N and W coordinates to the same values shown on the cache page. When you are sure the numbers are correct, click "OK".

Next you can change the name of this waypoint to match the cache name - it makes it a lot easier to find in your list of waypoints if you do this. Use the click stick to move the highlight up to the the number inside the flag in the picture. Press down on the click stick to access the alphanumeric entry pad. Just like you did with the coordinates, enter in the name of the cache waypoint, and click OK when you are done.

Almost there - go outside, get a satellite lock (where the GPS tells you it is ready to navigate) and then briefly press in the bottom button on the left side of the Vista (the biggest button of the three). This brings up the "FIND" list - pick "Waypoints" by pressing in on the click stick. Next, click "Nearest". A list of waypoints that are already loaded in your Vista now appears. Pick the cache waypoint you just entered from the list by highlighting it. If it isn't there then you need to pick waypoints "By Name" instead of "nearest".

After you have highlighted the cache waypoint from the list, just press down once again on the click stick to select that waypoint and display it's details on your screen. The "Waypoint" window pops up showing picture of a flag - make sure the flag is showing the waypoint name you entered earlier. If thename is correct, then use the click stick to highlight the "GOTO" button near the bottom of the screen. As soon as you click the GOTO button the "Navigation" window will appear with an arrow pointing directly to the cache. Follow that arrow until you are within 30 or 40 feet, then start looking.

And drop us a note in this forum to let us know how you made out!

After you find your first go ahead and download EasyGPS and hook up your computer - but you can go that AFTER you go out and find a cache.

Have fun, and welcome to the addiction.

I am looking for Agent Mulder's Eastern Lake Trail cache in Seagrove Beach, Florida.

I really recommend that you start with something easier that Eastern Lake Trail. Do you see that it has three stars for difficulty and three stars for terrain? That means that the person who hid this cache recognized and wants to caution others that the cache is fairly difficult to get to (more than 2 miles with overgrown trails) and will be "very well hidden." The scale goes from one to five (one is easy, five is very hard in difficulty or terrain).

Look for a cache that has one star for difficulty and one star for terrain for your first cache. For example, Old Ferry South. On your first cache, be sure to take a print out from your computer of the page for the cache (you might even want to unencrypt the clues beforehand, just in case you need them, I won't tell anyone :bad: ). Enter the waypoint for the cache in your GPS like you were told how to do, and head after it.

Good luck.

Alphatexana

Edited by Alphatexana