Event Hosting

Speed cache

Each person or team is sent out one at a time with a short range radio. The timer starts when they leave the table and stops when they radio in that they found the cache. To prove they found the cache a deck of cards is in the cache and they have to bring back one card.

Prizes were give to the fastest and slowest finders.

Speed caches are cool (but weather dependent). We set one up and no one was able to do it with the rain we received. We are trying something new with our meeting in Feb.

We are bringing the box, the form, and the tag for a geocache. All attendees that bring an item to place in the cache will get a chance at winning it so that they can place the cache. If this works, I could see it becoming a tradition that after a meeting, we have a new cache to find somewhere in Nebraska. I will let you know how it comes out.

We are bringing the box, the form, and the tag for a geocache. All attendees that bring an item to place in the cache will get a chance at winning it so that they can place the cache. If this works, I could see it becoming a tradition that after a meeting, we have a new cache to find somewhere in Nebraska. I will let you know how it comes out.

To give fair credit on that idea, I stole it from some other event page that I saw (I think Colorado). I thought it sounded like a fun way to create a nice doorprize.

Edited by carleenp

To give fair credit on that idea, I stole it from some other event page that I saw (I think Colorado). I thought it sounded like a fun way to create a nice doorprize.

Yes it probably was Colorado, but you cant steal what we would freely given. Its an idea that has worked well for us. After each event we get a new cache placed somewhere in the state.

For our Summer picnic event last year, we had everyone bring a desert. We had WAY to much great sweets to eat. One person even brought ice cream. I think the idea was great and the kids sure loved it. Seems to me that Mtn-Man was fond of the cheese cake petti-fors. (sp)

You want a great event invite ClayJar and mtn-man.

First of all the avatar thing is freaking me out.

On Topic. For having only a small number of finds I've been involved with planning a lot of event caches (four). Almost as many as my owned cache count.

We did a Poker Run, and a couple of meet and greets. We are working on a geocaching rally race.

The Poker run was probably the best event we have done, it could be adapted as one of many activities. I think the rally will be a close contender to the poker run in popularity. I'd give you more details but then I'd have to kill you. :bad: Actually an orienteering course could be set up which would be kind of the same.

The meet and greets were pretty basic, one enlightening activity we did compared the readings between GPS units. Before the event a waypoint was marked, third weed behind the sprinkler or something. Every one went to the coordinates. Then the actual location was revealed. Most people were suprised at how different readings were from unit to unit. The other meet and greet was a bunch of us getting together for coffee and pie.

Hope this was helpfull.

Be sure to estimate the turnout and prepare for more. I did pretty good last Saturday.

My formula:

The number of pre-event notes minus double posts. Take that sum times two and throw in 6 more for good measure.

I came up with 60+ and prepared for that. That's almost exactly what I got. I didn't run out of snacks, or drinks, which is important, so I believe the formula works.

Sn :blink::bad: gans

I've been to a few event caches. One was a CITO event and the other was a weekend camping event. Both where very low key and a ton of fun. Good food is a must. Activities for the kids always seem to be a hit. Set up some temporary caches of different d/t ratings. Just let people hang out and socialize. The best place to have an event cache is very close to a lot of cool caches.

Beer at events? I am of course a dedicated beer drinker but I doubt I would drink. Beer makes me lazy. Anyone who drinks to much shall get stuffed in an ammo can and placed at a 5/5 cache location