Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

How do I load a pic with out using a URL address? I do not want to have to go to a link. I want a picture. Thanks.

You need to use the image codes "img" the end code has a "/img" remove quotes and surround with parenthesis.

Here are my latest camouflaged caches.

th_New-Camo-bottom.jpg

th_New-Camo-Style.jpg

th_New-Camo-Style-2.jpg

Edited by Kit Fox

Hide an Eyesore Under a Movable Faux Boulder

No one but you will know that the landscape boulder in your yard conceals a well cover, water shut-off, electrical box or some other unsightly mechanism. Made of Thermostone plastic composite, this faux boulder withstands the harshest elements, yet weighs only 10 pounds, so you can move them for easy access.

Fake Stone

Mock Rock

Hollow Rock

I don't know about you, but that's one expensive cache!! I just make mine out of concrete and pay the doctors to fix my back later!! ; )

I've seen the hollow faux rocks at K-mart for around $25 in the garden department. Apparently they sell them to conceal garden hoses and such. I thought about getting one of those for a cache cover, but was too cheap to spend the $25!

Well I just finished some caches that I am going to place in the next couple weeks. These will be my first hides. I am new to Geocacheing and love it. I want to go forward and provide some fun finds for others. Please give me some comments on the caches. Of course it really does not matter what they look like if I do not hide them right, but I think it starts with a good cache container and an idea.

DSC00882.jpg

DSC00883.jpg

DSC00885.jpg

DSC00890.jpg

DSC00893.jpg

DSC00891.jpg

I really like the fishing lure one. I have some good plans for that one. Any comments are welcome. Negative ones too. Thanks.

Well I just finished some caches that I am going to place in the next couple weeks. These will be my first hides. I am new to Geocacheing and love it. I want to go forward and provide some fun finds for others. Please give me some comments on the caches. Of course it really does not matter what they look like if I do not hide them right, but I think it starts with a good cache container and an idea.

DSC00882.jpg

DSC00883.jpg

DSC00885.jpg

DSC00890.jpg

DSC00893.jpg

DSC00891.jpg

I really like the fishing lure one. I have some good plans for that one. Any comments are welcome. Negative ones too. Thanks.

Like you said... A good cache container is only as good as how it is hidden !!! Only thing I'd say is make sure the "barbs" are blunted on the finshing lure one, as I know when I go caching with the geokids they grab anything and everything without thinking about things first. I can just see them rushing in for one like this and end up with a barb in the hand etc... :anicute::)

Good containers otherwise. :anicute:

DSC00891.jpg

One of the hardest caches we located was a fake tortoise just sitting among some landscape rocks up towards Yosemite. We must of walked past it ten times before slowing down and actually seeing it. It didn't have an orange back like the one in your picture... rather a green/tan back similar to the tortoise's in our area.

Like you said... A good cache container is only as good as how it is hidden !!! Only thing I'd say is make sure the "barbs" are blunted on the finshing lure one, as I know when I go caching with the geokids they grab anything and everything without thinking about things first. I can just see them rushing in for one like this and end up with a barb in the hand etc... :anicute::)

Good containers otherwise. :anicute:

If you look closely, it looks like the pointy bits including barbs were sniped off already. Great cache!

Hey gr8johnson:

I think the lure will be a great hide. placing it near a local fishing hole will allow it to sort of blend in, but still provide plenty of challenge for cachers. The camoed containers are great of course, but closer to the norm, so doesn't get a wow factor like the lure. The turtle will be fun, but will stick out like a sore thumb unless that's the color of the soil in you area :)

All in all, great start Mr. Johnson. Carry on :anicute:

DSC00893.jpg

I'm assuming the covering on the boxes is printed on a colour printer and then stuck to the container somehow? May I ask what material it's printed on, how you attached it to the container and how you've weatherproofed it? (I've been considering something pretty similar for a cache I'm planning).

Maybe not quite a micro, but a funny story about trying to find this. I was new to geocaching, but also interested in benchmarking. I was taking a picture of this official enough looking pole because it was so far off from what my GPSr was saying. Then I figured it out. DUH. Those were the coordinates to the cache :D

2dafxg6.jpg

That would be awesome to find on a Multi-cache =D

DSC00893.jpg

I'm assuming the covering on the boxes is printed on a colour printer and then stuck to the container somehow? May I ask what material it's printed on, how you attached it to the container and how you've weatherproofed it? (I've been considering something pretty similar for a cache I'm planning).

It's probably camo tape. You can buy it at most sporting goods stores in the hunting department... or at your local "Always" store or similar type store.

It usually comes in a variety of colors and camo patterns, so you can make it blend in with whatever location you're using it at.

Oops! Edited to add: sorry... didn't see that you're on the other side of the pond... not sure where you might find it over there. :D

Edited by mizdeeds

DSC00882.jpg

DSC00883.jpg

DSC00885.jpg

DSC00890.jpg

DSC00893.jpg

DSC00891.jpg

Please, please, please cut the barbs off that lure! Otherwise these look great.

If you look closely the hooks are cut off completely. Look at the close up of that one. I wish I would have stated somewhere that the barbs were removed. I have had a few comments on it so far.

It is camo tape. The darker one is camo duct tape that I got at Gander Mountain for $5.00 and the other one is camo tape used on guns and bows. It was $5.00 also at Gander Mountain. It is already water proof. I am sure after being put through some typical Michigan weather it will need some touching up though.

DSC00882.jpg

DSC00883.jpg

DSC00885.jpg

DSC00890.jpg

DSC00893.jpg

DSC00891.jpg

Please, please, please cut the barbs off that lure! Otherwise these look great.

Great job on the lure. That tortoise is hysterical, I would SO laugh out loud if I found that little guy.

DSC00893.jpg

check out the website by 3 geeks. I think http://3geeks.ca/catalog/ is the address. They sell the Mossy Oak camo tape on their site

Edited by willox96
DSC00882.jpg

I think the lure idea is awesome, but it's one I discarded a long time ago after reminiscing about my past encounters with lures. When I would see a lure hung up in a tree, I would always bring it home with me. I've still got most of them. If you hide it in such a manner that a cacher will be able to reach it, then it can be assumed that a lure collecting fisherman will also be able to reach it.

It has crossed my mind about a fisherman taking it. I have to come up with an idea. I think I will probably put it where there is not a lot of fishing traffic, but not so that is seems out of place for cachers. Plus I think that if some one really took a look close up they will see there is something up. Maybe I should get the website name on the outside of it.

Edited by gr8johnson

In regards to the fishing lure. I think its a great idea, and best possible hide would be to put in in a tree with some balled up and tangled up fishing line, posing like someone got in stuck there while casting and broke the line in frustration. Heck I would even try to get it placed out on a limb hanging over water to add to the effect.

Of course with respect to the environment and littering, you would have to make sure that no fishing line was improperly disposed of and if hanging over water on a limb, you may have issue with some with children ect.

I am taking your idea and running with it, I love it.

Example

My Webpage

Edited by jbhodj & Drake

In regards to the fishing lure. I think its a great idea, and best possible hide would be to put in in a tree with some balled up and tangled up fishing line, posing like someone got in stuck there while casting and broke the line in frustration. Heck I would even try to get it placed out on a limb hanging over water to add to the effect.

Of course with respect to the environment and littering, you would have to make sure that no fishing line was improperly disposed of and if hanging over water on a limb, you may have issue with some with children ect.

Example

My Webpage

I think it is both foolish, and irresponsible. Thousands of birds and mammals die yearly when they become ensnared in fishing line that was carelessly left behind. By placing a cache using discarded fishing, you risk offending land owners as well as folks who dislike caching. Your cache could be used as evidence against geocaching, and it could give responsible geocachers a black eye.

Edited by Kit Fox

I am an avid fisherman. That fishing line I use will never get tangled with a bird or any other animal. It will be in a spot that will not harm any thing or it will not be placed. I do not need to be lectured on this. You could say the same about any cache. If 100 people go looking for the same cache there will no doubt be some evidence of this. No matter what we do some people will not like hikers and mountain biker or any one else who goes into the wilderness and disturbs it. I went through this when I was mountain biking a lot. I am very respectful of the land I travel. But thanks for your concern. It will be considered when I place the cache.

One thought I had for hiding a lure was affixing it to the tree with a piece of thin cable. That way, should some curious fisherman try to bring it home, they'd realize right away that all was not as it appeared. Hopefully, upon further inspection, they'd recognize that the lure in question would not help them catch any fish, and they'd leave it behind.

I agree with Kit's view on leaving a "tangle" of fishing line. River clean ups are something I do as a volunteer effort several times a year, and used fishing line is one of the key culprits to injuring local fauna. Just my $0.02

I was going to use some pretty stiff 30lb salt water leader line. It will not tangle. I would not have left a big tangle though. I do like the cable idea. I also need to put some sort of sticker to let some one know what it is. I do not want some one taking it home. I also have done many hours of trail and river clean up. I was a avid mountain biker and fisherman. I understand the importance of keeping our enviroment clean. Thanks for all the comments and advice.

I was going to use some pretty stiff 30lb salt water leader line. It will not tangle. I would not have left a big tangle though. I do like the cable idea. I also need to put some sort of sticker to let some one know what it is. I do not want some one taking it home. I also have done many hours of trail and river clean up. I was a avid mountain biker and fisherman. I understand the importance of keeping our enviroment clean. Thanks for all the comments and advice.

I have seen many forum entries from gr8johnson and he seems like a sensible guy who thinks about the safety of fellow cachers and the environment before setting a cache. I look forward to seeing how the lure looks when placed!

Example

My Webpage

I think it is both foolish, and irresponsible. Thousands of birds and mammals die yearly when they become ensnared in fishing line that was carelessly left behind. By placing a cache using discarded fishing, you risk offending land owners as well as folks who dislike caching. Your cache could be used as evidence against geocaching, and it could give responsible geocachers a black eye.

Before calling me foolish and irresponsible you should have read my entire post when I clearly state to take precautions to make sure the placement does not impose a threat on the environment, and others like kids. It would have to be well maintained and checked on a regular basis and maybe using other materials besides fishing line would suffice.

Despite the fact of the name calling and personal attack, I still think its a great idea and would make for an excellent hide.

Before calling me foolish and irresponsible you should have read my entire post when I clearly state to take precautions to make sure the placement does not impose a threat on the environment, and others like kids. It would have to be well maintained and checked on a regular basis and maybe using other materials besides fishing line would suffice.

Despite the fact of the name calling and personal attack, I still think its a great idea and would make for an excellent hide.

Relax, I called your idea foolish, I didn't call you a fool.

Your exact words:

"In regards to the fishing lure. I think its a great idea, and best possible hide would be to put in in a tree with some balled up and tangled up fishing line, posing like someone got in stuck there while casting and broke the line in frustration. Heck I would even try to get it placed out on a limb hanging over water to add to the effect."

"Balled up and tangled fishing line"

"limb hanging over water."

Here is a picture of a Blue Heron with a monofilament noose around his neck, hanging from a tree.

I posted a new thread to debate the subject.

Edited by Kit Fox

Here's a picture of a cache in Shafter, CA which is one of my favorite finds. Some have found the large container not realizing that you open it up and although it's empty inside there is a magnetic keyholder stuck to the upper inside in the shadows that contains the log.

It's called "George of the JunkMail (GCX0A4)

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/21733...host=good-times

I really like that idea! Thanks for sharing that one.

Example

My Webpage

Let's not get personal. I really like this thread and don't want it closed down due to immatuure behavior. I think we've covered the fishing lure placement enough already. I truly believe that the great majority of geocachers are responsible, intelligent people and would not place a cache in a manner that would endanger humans or animals. There are other forums for venting. Please don't do it here. Enough said.

Let's not get personal. I really like this thread and don't want it closed down due to immatuure behavior. I think we've covered the fishing lure placement enough already. I truly believe that the great majority of geocachers are responsible, intelligent people and would not place a cache in a manner that would endanger humans or animals. There are other forums for venting. Please don't do it here. Enough said.

I posted a new thread to debate the subject.

SPOILER ALERT!

This might be a spoiler if you cache in the Penticton, BC area.

Had to post a few pictures of a cache nearby, as the container certainly is different.

F901.JPG

F902.JPG

F903.JPG

The top is a rusty piece of rebar for camoflage. The middle part is a piece of plastic water line used for domestic water pipes in houses. And the bottom of the container that contains the logbook is a "Vacutainer" (unused), which is used to collect a blood sample.

Edited by Fuzzywhip

SPOILER ALERT!

This might be a spoiler if you cache in the Penticton, BC area.

Had to post a few pictures of a cache nearby, as the container certainly is different.

F901.JPG

F902.JPG

F903.JPG

The top is a rusty piece of rebar for camoflage. The middle part is a piece of plastic water line used for domestic water pipes in houses. And the bottom of the container that contains the logbook is a "Vacutainer" (unused), which is used to collect a blood sample.

oh this is just plain wicked.

rsg

hi, i am from good old germany. :(

i have a walnut carefully sawed and it 5 times dipped in acid-curung paint. (transparent ship color)

with a little drill, 1mm, i make holes in it and fixed a strong fishing line. the cache is in 8m height :)

b57c5966-eb53-4cbc-9564-55280ff5fbda.jpg

you can drag down the nut with the fishing line

20a1f47c-411a-4883-85da-adc3b477662a.jpg

0d901bb2-8cc7-418e-ba8d-206f827c3694.jpg

67c6d57b-076e-4ab6-b6bf-4d3040a27ebc.jpg

i make little holes in the base for the rain.

greets from göttingen

Heppi Aua :sad: (i love the time when i pay for one beer and i become two!!)

sorry for my bad english :)

hi, i am from good old germany. :D

i have a walnut carefully sawed and it 5 times dipped in acid-curung paint. (transparent ship color)

with a little drill, 1mm, i make holes in it and fixed a strong fishing line. the cache is in 8m height ;)

greets from göttingen

Heppi Aua ;) (i love the time when i pay for one beer and i become two!!)

sorry for my bad english :D

Get any rashes from the PI? :rolleyes:

no fear, ChaseOnTheGo !! the ivy is not poison :huh:

Boy... if someone's getting Hedera helix (referred to as English Ivy here in North America) confused with poison ivy... need to do some research. (Just good ol' "kiddin' around" fun now... don't take offense.) :huh:

hi, i am from good old germany. :huh:

with a little drill, 1mm, i make holes in it and fixed a strong fishing line. the cache is in 8m height :huh:

greets from göttingen

Heppi Aua :o (i love the time when i pay for one beer and i become two!!)

sorry for my bad english :o

Awesome cache! That took a lot of planning on your part! How can something be so cool and so tricky at the same time!