Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

Hmmm, no takers so far. Lets zoom in a bit...

dcd76831-1e10-4786-a992-5c21b0e47d36.jpg

I think I see something shiny! Lets walk closer and look up.

67b2253b-1b27-4aab-b2bc-4df49397ab4a.jpg

Looks like there is something there, behind the tree...

Here's a photo of the container itself on a different tree.

93827894-b047-403f-b7d8-d04aea272d8d.jpg

Seems obvious. Some get it immediately, some take a wee bit of time. Remember, the tree is at the water's edge. No DNFs yet except for those foolish enough to try it at night.

So the question is, do you look 15 feet up in the air when you are out in the woods??? I do now.

<snip>

Seems obvious. Some get it immediately, some take a wee bit of time. Remember, the tree is at the water's edge. No DNFs yet except for those foolish enough to try it at night.

So the question is, do you look 15 feet up in the air when you are out in the woods??? I do now.

Nice! The lake forces you to view the cache site from a limited angel and over head is always the 2nd place they look.

Simple yet effective.

<snip>

Seems obvious.  Some get it immediately, some take a wee bit of time.  Remember, the tree is at the water's edge. No DNFs yet except for those foolish enough to try it at night.

So the question is, do you look 15 feet up in the air when you are out in the woods???  I do now.

Nice! The lake forces you to view the cache site from a limited angel and over head is always the 2nd place they look.

Simple yet effective.

Around here people know me well enough that UP is the first place they look. :P

I am new to geocaching, and just spent the last 1/2 hour looking at this thread.

Now I am very excited about the idea of placing my first cache and really taking my time in making it a really good one.

I am also kind of worried now about the way some of you people think, noting the lengths some of you have gone to in order to keep your caches hidden...YIKES EVEN!!!

Thanks so much for sharing. I will be breathing into a paper bag for the next half hour...

I am new to geocaching, and just spent the last 1/2 hour looking at this thread.

Now I am very excited about the idea of placing my first cache and really taking my time in making it a really good one.

I am also kind of worried now about the way some of you people think, noting the lengths some of you have gone to in order to keep your caches hidden...YIKES EVEN!!!

Thanks so much for sharing. I will be breathing into a paper bag for the next half hour...

Eh, don't sweat it. Many of these hiders have several hundred caches under their belts, if not more. Start off slow with the 1 and 2 rated caches then work your way up. Nothing is more frustrating that DNF over and over on a 4 star difficulty and not realizing it.

d25714c1-2b8c-425d-8fa5-40653de1199a.jpg

So the question is, do you look 15 feet up in the air when you are out in the woods???

Hmm. And I thought the question was how do you get it down? Looks like the tree is in the water so you can't get a good angle on that pole. Maybe it's a balsa wood pole. :P

Edited by Thot

Well, I just stayed up an hour and a half later than I should have reading this thread. I gave up after page 16. It was a blast!

There is a dearth of traditional caches in NE Florida, it's micro mania around here. My wife and I have begun to plan to place some regulars and I now have dozens of ideas about how not to make them boring.

THanks for the great thread. I'll be cursing you in the morning when my alarm goes off!!!

Ivan of The AIM Team (Now the AIIM Team), St. Augustine/Jacksonville megalopolis.

This one could really be a "cool" cache.

cache1.JPG

See the cache?

DAryl

I love this one!

Thanks, It's been found once now (Under the Great America Flag in Dodge City. (GCRDA1)) The seeker didn't take note of the cache size, and spent a bit a time looking for a micro. biggrin.gif

He ended up calling me to ask for a hint while looking for another cache of mine, and asked for a hint on this one also. I gave him the hints, then went to the cache site to see if he got it. I think he was impressed.

Well, I just stayed up an hour and a half later than I should have reading this thread.  I gave up after page 16.  It was a blast!

At page 16 you should have been able to see the light at the end of the thread. You could have made it! B)

DAryl

Hmm.  And I thought the question was how do you get it down?  Looks like the tree is in the water so you can't get a good angle on that pole.  Maybe it's a balsa wood pole. :o

The tree is at the water's edge, but the "pole" is not attached to the ground. You have to lift it up a few feet off the ground so the cache clears the crook in the tree. Sadly, it isn't Balsa, so it is a pretty heavy thing to do, but it is possible. I have a bad rotator cuff (shoulder) and I can manage it...

I can barely see it in this photo...

d25714c1-2b8c-425d-8fa5-40653de1199a.jpg

any guesses?

I looked and looked at this picture and didn't see it.

But I thought to myself, how cool would it be to put a cache on the top of the limb that's leaning against the tree, so that you had to move the limb down to the ground to get to the cache? ;)

Very cool one of the voices answered.

7of the 9 voices I hear really like your cache (plus myself, of course). :)

DAryl

As a newbie to this hobby...or "sport" as I am now thinking, you all have me worried a little. Since I love to be in the woods I figured that I would mostly hunt for caches that are in state parks and such...until I seen the pine cones and hollow tree stumps...one thing comes to mind, ( This is going to take awhile ). ;)

And the arm...now how would I look being seen running from the woods with wet pants and screaming like a little girl? hahahahaha ;)

Is there any safe golf ball to drill in to? Or are they all meant to kill us? It is weird that golf ball would explode. Why would it explode. Is it just to keep people like us from having  fun? :laughing:

Golf balls explode? Oooopsss I wish I had known that as a kid when I used to open them up the hundred to unwind the rubber bands... (Hey it was a small town okay? Got a problem with that????? :anitongue: )

When we were kids we also opened golf balls by the hundreds. We used to stretch the elastic across the road so cars would drive through them and snap 'em.

There was this cache in Branson Mo. It was a white pipe that looked like it was connection to a house. It was great wish I wouldve took pics.

We found that cache this past weekend in Branson, it's my favorite one yet!

Definitely hidden in plain sight!

Scott

I think that is very ingenious......and sneaky. However, do you think there's a chance of people damaging other flowers in a garden looking for the cache? Kinda like the proplems with stone wall caches? What do you do to prevent that?

I actually like it but I know if my wife were taking care of a rose garden and someone damaged HER roses.....she would be Pi$$ed. And she has pruning shears..... <_<

I think that is very ingenious......and sneaky.  However, do you think there's a chance of people damaging other flowers in a garden looking for the cache?  Kinda like the proplems with stone wall caches?  What do you do to prevent that?

It was hidden in a wild area of a park, in some non-rose bushes. It is rather obvious to anyone looking for a cache, since rose bushes are not in the area. However a muggle won't give it a second look since their are plenty of other wild flowers around. This time of year it is very obvious.

Your are right though, if I did put it in a rose garden, I would worry about someone damaging the real bushes.

Surprisingly, the cache I have that is the hardest to find is a decon can with fake pine boughs attached. It just blends in very well with the tree it is hanging in. I almost archived it once when someone moved it over one tree and I couldn't find it. Fortunately some one logged it before I got to the computer.

Surprisingly, the cache I have that is the hardest to find is a decon can with fake pine boughs attached.  It just blends in very well with the tree it is hanging in.  I almost archived it once when someone moved it over one tree and I couldn't find it.  Fortunately some one logged it before I got to the computer.

Any photos of this one?

Okay here is one I just completed.

microchap7fr.jpg

Its an old Chap-Stic container covered in electrical tape. There is a flap on the lid that overlaps the tube in an effort to keep out moisture. The bottom is twisted and the log rises, just like the Chap-Stic used to. There is a pencil nib super-glued to the top of the screw in the center of the tube. So the container doubles as a pen!

Any photos of this one?

Sorry. I don't have any photos and it would take about a week before I could get one. It is much the same as the decon containers shown above with camo jobs. The boughs are just glued on with marine grade Goop.

I really prefer the "hidden in plain sight" side of hiding, rather than the really hard to find side.

Edit: removal of aviation reference.

Edited by Thorn Cachers