Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

I recently finished building an electronic/mechanical geocache with an audio triggered lock inspired by John Draper, a.k.a. 'Captain Crunch' of 1970's phone phreaking fame. To open this geocache the user has to solve a small puzzle to get the needed tone frequency, then record a sample of that tone and bring it with them. At the site the user must find the 'key' located on the cache, insert the key into the keyhole to power it up which plays back an operator's instruction recording. When prompted the user then plays the pre-recorded tone to activate and open the lock.

Thanks to all who responded with such great feedback to my captain crunch geocache! Before placing it I documented all the measurements so I could put together a construction guide for anybody interested building one of these. The guide contains material lists, step-by-step instructions, pictures & detailed blueprints. It's not perfect but it should be enough for a hobby builder with some intuition to get it done. You can view the guide on the cache page here and there's a downloadable version as well.

Edited by linuxonthebrain

I recently finished building an electronic/mechanical geocache with an audio triggered lock . .. . Before placing it I documented all the measurements so I could put together a construction guide for anybody interested building one of these. The guide contains material lists, step-by-step instructions, pictures & detailed blueprints. It's not perfect but it should be enough for a hobby builder with some intuition to get it done. . . .

I freely admit I am not the scientific type - especially electronic - but I did check-out the materials list and construction guide. I quickly determined that you might as well ask me to defuse a nuclear warhead or remove my own gall bladder - which makes me all the more impressed with anyone who can design and build such a device. Well done! I hope that my travels take me to your area so I can see it in action -

WARNING

Spoiler for S.E. Michigan Geocachers. Do not read this if you want to find this Geocache.

Well I placed the infamous fishing lure cache finally. I wanted to post the results for everyone who had concerns or comments. I will use pics to do it.

This is the starting point

DSC00966.jpg

DSC00967.jpg

Starts getting interesting here

DSC00968.jpg

DSC00969.jpg

This is where it is hidden

DSC00970.jpg

A look from the other side. This view is hard to get.

DSC00971.jpg

DSC00972.jpg

A little close up. You have to hang out over the river a bit to see it.

DSC00975.jpg

DSC00976.jpg

I used a 3 inch piece of fishing line to wrap around the tree limb. Nothing can get tangled so no injured wild life potential. I even picked up some discarded line left behind from others. I hope nobody from my area reads this. I know the cache is not very hard to find. The terrain adds to the difficulty though. The main thing I like about it is the cache container itself. I think people will really appreciate it. Well I just wanted to update everyone. Thanks again for all the advice and comments before. GC1EDZ7, here is the listing if you want to check it out.

I found a cache here locally a while ago that was called "Robert" and was a similar hide. But it was a bobber (hence the name) and below that (and below the water) was one of those metal pill containers that are airtight, waterproof, and so on.

Creativity - it's a good thing!

Well, this thread has sure provided a bunch of great ideas. I'm looking forward to hiding some creative caches now.

I am thinking of hiding a couple "urban camouflage" containers, such as utility boxes. However, I'm going to be very careful with my construction and my placement, so that the container looks unremarkable to muggles but cachers know without any doubt that it's the one. A couple of the discreet yellow 3/4" x 3/4" geocaching stickers should also help with this.

I'm also going to write up a little cautionary note and post it inside any cache of mine that's hidden in something resembling a utility box, and then make sure I implore on the cache page that all finders read the note. Just a quick reminder to people to keep their heads, use common sense, and not to mess with potentially dangerous things unless they are dead certain-- without any doubt at all-- that it's the cache. I really like the "urban camouflage" idea, and I think it would be a shame to see them go away. But there's also a little bit of an escalation risk, and so I think a note inside one such cache would do at least a little bit to retard that escalation.

Out of curiosity, where do people get the utility boxes (like the one that was ziptied to a light post earlier in the thread)? I'm heading out to Home Depot today, but I have no idea if I can expect to find them there.

I don't have any cool caches to share yet, but hopefully that will change soon.

Thanks for the great ideas, everyone!

Well, this thread has sure provided a bunch of great ideas. I'm looking forward to hiding some creative caches now.....(snip)....

I'm also going to write up a little cautionary note and post it inside any cache of mine that's hidden in something resembling a utility box, and then make sure I implore on the cache page that all finders read the note. Just a quick reminder to people to keep their heads, use common sense, and not to mess with potentially dangerous things unless they are dead certain-- without any doubt at all-- that it's the cache. .....(snip).....and so I think a note inside one such cache would do at least a little bit to retard that escalation.

Since when did more than 20% of cachers ever read the page? :unsure: I think your ideas are good, but please do not count on all seekers to have read and fully understood what you have put on the listing. You will always get the odd log such as "This was dangerous" or "I wish my kids hadn't seen this".

Have fun hiding. The more the merrier.

WARNING

Spoiler for S.E. Michigan Geocachers. Do not read this if you want to find this Geocache.

Well I placed the infamous fishing lure cache finally. I wanted to post the results for everyone who had concerns or comments. I will use pics to do it.

This is the starting point

DSC00966.jpg

DSC00967.jpg

Starts getting interesting here

DSC00968.jpg

DSC00969.jpg

This is where it is hidden

DSC00970.jpg

A look from the other side. This view is hard to get.

DSC00971.jpg

DSC00972.jpg

A little close up. You have to hang out over the river a bit to see it.

DSC00975.jpg

DSC00976.jpg

I used a 3 inch piece of fishing line to wrap around the tree limb. Nothing can get tangled so no injured wild life potential. I even picked up some discarded line left behind from others. I hope nobody from my area reads this. I know the cache is not very hard to find. The terrain adds to the difficulty though. The main thing I like about it is the cache container itself. I think people will really appreciate it. Well I just wanted to update everyone. Thanks again for all the advice and comments before. GC1EDZ7, here is the listing if you want to check it out.

I remember when you first introduced this cache container and thought it was a "gr8" idea. Thank you for coming back and posting the pics - I think it's devious but awesome and am sure it will be well-received. I do think you should have left the hooks in tact though to help make it look a little more realistic. I mean, now it just screams cache a mile away. Just kidding. Good luck with it.

Submitted for your consideration.

Picture014.jpg

Picture015.jpg

helped make one just like that. heated the spring until it was weak then welded it open just incase. it was well received but is archived because of constant problems with weed trimmers(long story).

Hey mailman72432:

I love this cache "container" for a couple of reasons. First off is just the intimidation factor - top shelf thinking. Secondly, when I was much younger, I used to trap fur and seeing this cache brought back many wonderful memories of a much simpler time (my god, it sounds like I'm talking about the 1800's). In my case, it was more like the early 1980's. I don't know if I have any kicking around in a dark corner of my garage, but if you don't mind, I'd like to steal this idea and set one up. I'm looking at the photos and seeing a lot of dry ground, but no long grass/weeds. My first thought was why didn't you just move it. Seems a shame to let this one goto waste.

WARNING

Looks from the logs that your cache has been VERY well received! Congrats... you'll be getting many enjoyable logs in the future to reward your efforts.

Here are some of my new ones:

Can You see it?

DSC01045.jpg

What about now?

DSC01044.jpg

Here it is. My new Pen cache. Just take off the cap. The ink thing is gone. Don't forget a paperclip!

DSC01043.jpg

Another one of mine thats a little bigger:

Can you see the top of it?

DSC01012.jpg

What about now?

DSC01013.jpg

Here it is. An old mini spray bottle. Take off the cap and and pull out the sprayer for the log. It hangs from a branch.

DSC01014.jpg

:laughing:

Out here in San Angelo we have some "Boss-Hog" containers, and as a fledgling cacher, (32 F / 1 H), I decided to make a few of my own for circulation.

Out here in San Angelo, Coles Army Surplus has these "German Gas Mask" Containers for 13 Bucks! This has to be one of the coolest containers Ive ever seen? What do you think? Check out the nifty compartments.... :D

container.JPG

Secret Logbook compartment :) What the??? Will they figure it out without instructions?

secret_compartment.JPG

Secret room for treasure, and a very nice FTF prize! (One of my POW/MIA Coins for this bad boy)

secret_room.JPG

I'm calling this one "Time in a Bottle". Coming soon for puzzle hunters in West Texas! This one will probably end up as a puzzle cache that commemorates the POW/MIAs across the globe, as it will require a bit or research.

I've been in the garage toiling over some cammo on a couple of caches that Im getting ready to place. Here's what you have to look forward too from me!

How about the all time favorite - the Ammo Can - In progress, (the sides need to be done)

239856020f72e7ddd4174c32727c8f1a10980a9.jpg

Y'all remember what a Wonder Bread Box looked like? The One sandwich kind?

23985761234cdec0953c4f1546c23e74acce3c1.jpg

We have at least two of these types in the DFW area...the most evil I have faced yet.

I found this one (urban setting) without a GPSr, using only Google Maps.

We have some pretty good camo kings and queens in the DFW area and I have only scratched the surface.

The two links give me 404 errors (Not Found).

Well, I was looking for a way to fix the original posts but failed, so here are the links:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mcwtlg/Memorab...492445463292082

http://picasaweb.google.com/mcwtlg/Memorab...492448266491346

Sorry about the broken links.

Yikes! Hey, thanks for providing the links.

Submitted for your consideration.

Picture014.jpg

Picture015.jpg

helped make one just like that. heated the spring until it was weak then welded it open just incase. it was well received but is archived because of constant problems with weed trimmers(long story).

OK, it's up and running. I picked up a Victor #3 double longspring trap and attached a mini ammo can to the pan. Check it out:

2008-08-24006.jpg

It got published a few days ago and it's already received a few visitors. Next time I'll remember to disable (heat treat) the springs before setting it out :laughing: The black disc seen in the photo was used to prop up the pan (I should have painted it) and the plastic bag just barely visible held the FTF coin as there wasn't the room needed to put it in the ammo can. The cache is called "Fortune Favors the Bold" and is dedicated to the geocoin by Fox and the Hound.

OK, it's up and running. I picked up a Victor #3 double longspring trap and attached a mini ammo can to the pan. Check it out:

2008-08-24006.jpg

It got published a few days ago and it's already received a few visitors. Next time I'll remember to disable (heat treat) the springs before setting it out :unsure: The black disc seen in the photo was used to prop up the pan

So, am I correct in my understanding that the only thing keeping the trap from snapping is a piece of plastic under the trigger plate? You know people are going to pick the trap up... especially kids.

If it's in the air the plastic thing isn't going to stop it from snapping.

2008-08-24006.jpg

It got published a few days ago and it's already received a few visitors. Next time I'll remember to disable (heat treat) the springs before setting it out :unsure: The black disc seen in the photo was used to prop up the pan

So, am I correct in my understanding that the only thing keeping the trap from snapping is a piece of plastic under the trigger plate? You know people are going to pick the trap up... especially kids.

If it's in the air the plastic thing isn't going to stop it from snapping.

It would appear that the "arm" or "latch" that pops up when the trap is set of has been welded or glued to the rest of the trap. Of course I have sure information on this, but this is what it looks like to me. I would think it highly unlikely that anyone with an ounce of common sense would set the cache on a live functioning trap. That is if the trap could cause harm. Just my 2 cents worth.

It would appear that the "arm" or "latch" that pops up when the trap is set of has been welded or glued to the rest of the trap. Of course I have sure information on this, but this is what it looks like to me. I would think it highly unlikely that anyone with an ounce of common sense would set the cache on a live functioning trap. That is if the trap could cause harm. Just my 2 cents worth.

I think you might be right. I'd trust welding, not so sure about glue though. But there is something on there. Good to know. :unsure:

The discoloration at the end of the spring looks to me like it was heated. The jaws look as if they are sitting loose on the spring, as if they are not supporting any tension. I believe that the "I shoulda disabled it" comment was in jest. But if you are in doubt just toss in a puppy.

Sorry I haven't been back for a couple of days. You're very observant. Yes, I hit the springs with a torch until they were cherry red and allowed them to cool of in a scrunched position, so now the jaws just lay there menacingly, but harmlessly. Several weeks ago, I found one of those balls that you attach to the outside antennae of your car (often in the shape of a Mickey Mouse head). This one was yellow with a smiley face printed onto it. Originally, I was going to dangle the ball with some string over the trap as an additional form of "bait" and was going to call the cache "Baited with a Smiley". I decided to forego the smiley and go with the "Fortune Favors the Bold" name because I love the coin but also to remind cachers to be bold in their lives. Too often people sit back and become couch potatoes. Not that they should just reach out and grab dangerous things - you can be smart about it, but lets not forget that there are adventures to be had. Walking away from something just because you are a little intimidated means you life will be short one smiley.

I have no pictures, but I found a couple of caches in Germany that took me more than one try.

The first was a pipe with a water spigot and flow control knob attached. This was all attached to a chain link fence. Of course the micro was inside the pipe and you had to unscrew the knob and micro came up as it was connected to the knob by fishing line. It looked like it water faucet was in a reasonable place and actually belonged there. It took me two or three times to find it.

Another one by the same person was a dead tree limb that was removed from the tree, hollowed out and re-attached to tree. The only hint was counter clockwise.

A third was a Groundspeak rock. That is it was a plastic rock with the geocache logo and the "rock" opened up. This of course was hidden among other rocks and I think it was luck that I found it. I just happened to see the geocache logo. Me and my kids were impressed with that one.

DoctorWho asked for it so here he is....

The_NEW_Nude_Cacher_Greetings_from_.jpg

Is that the same cache? If so I'd think twice about standing that close to that side of the cache.

yessir, found that one while on vaca in GA

does anyone know there this one is or the cache number.

Stryder it's located in Macon. It's called GA's Largest Ammo Can. GC17EBG

Recent design of mine.

That is a very, very nasty cache! At least be fair and don't make it "a needle in a heystack" cache too.

I don't see that one being muggled!

Ouch!

Be careful, I have seen one like that - frustrated cachers might take to stripping the tree bare of bark looking for said cache... sad but true :anibad:

Try and find a dead tree!