Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

I've been thinking about this . . .

Could this get to a stage when the cache containers are too well disguised ? It's all very well going hunting but if you don't find anything - are you going to come back ?? I know people are always looking for the next big challenge, maybe we should put 'Heavily Disguised' in the cache details.

This might sound like I don't like the idea of disguised caches - just the opposite - I have various logs and stones in our garden which will be made into nasty cache containers when I have the time !!

I know people are always looking for the next big challenge, maybe we should put 'Heavily Disguised' in the cache details.

That's what the difficulty rating is for.

This thread also reminded me that we have small plastic olive barrels at work about the size of a big plastic pop bottle but with a big screw on lid. They are brown, have a handle, and are water-tight. They will make perfect caches.

I'll just have to wash them really well. Even so I doubt bears will like the smell of olive brine.

You can try, but it's very, very hard to get the food smell out of plastic. You may not be able to smell it, but the animals still can. Try the chlorine bleach solution soak, as mentioned, then perhaps a soak in a baking soda solution, or Oxy Clean. I did all this, plus ran the container through a week of dishwasher cycles, yet found it gnawed apart a week after I placed it. You might be luckier.

Edited by briansnat

CHRIS S.........Volcanic rock idea pretty good, but, if ppl in your area are good at looking for "things out of place" then a real porus redish rock amongst smooth grey (or what ever the type) would stick out like a sore thumb, if they are not so good, would be a good "container" hehe!

(a grey or white flat paint, or combo of might help it blend in more)

And your right, it drills out really easy, (especially with a concrete/mortor bit) chisel werk tad tough and you run risk of splitting the rock...................

CHRIS S.........Volcanic rock idea pretty good, but, if ppl in your area are good at looking for "things out of place" then a real porus redish rock amongst smooth grey (or what ever the type) would stick out like a sore thumb, if they are not so good, would be a good "container" hehe!

(a grey or white flat paint, or combo of might help it blend in more)

And your right, it drills out really easy, (especially with a concrete/mortor bit) chisel werk tad tough and you run risk of splitting the rock...................

Our pumice is more of a motteled grey color, so it wil blend in nearly anywhere.

This is my answer to "no room for anything but a micro".

<snip>

The sticker reads:

United States Geocache

Site Logging Station

Do Not Disturb

That's a good one, Criminal! I would be scared to attempt it though for fear of having the cops called. Is that one a light pole or something? Did you have to get permission to hang it there?

like criminals...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCGZY3

As far as rocks go, I've been thinking of using some for cammo. They have advantages in that they are good at neutralizing muggles. An area that couldn't accomodate a piece of rubermaid usually offers many more opportunities for a piece of rubbermade inside a rock. If difficulty bothers you, just state where it is - in many cases you're only cammoing for the muggles, not for the geocachers.

This is my answer to "no room for anything but a micro".

<snip>

The sticker reads:

United States Geocache

Site Logging Station

Do Not Disturb

That's a good one, Criminal! I would be scared to attempt it though for fear of having the cops called. Is that one a light pole or something? Did you have to get permission to hang it there?

Missed your post, sorry!

I noticed that there is a company that hangs advertising high up on the light poles in various parking lots using those big wire-ties. The ties do not damage the pole so are considered temporary. Since I’m quite sure the library wouldn’t give permission for advertising, I take it to mean they have no policy. My box is no different.

So far it has survived without being vandalized, my only real fear. It looks official enough that nobody is going to “call the cops” about it, or else the cops would be getting thousands of calls a day. Boxes like that are all over buildings, poles, posts, whatever. I have to think that even when the electrician eventually comes to change the bulb or open the cover right below my box, he’ll probably wonder what the hell a US Geocache Site Logging Station is, but will leave it right where it is.

Good thinking....I never thought about how it looked to others that might see someone getting into it. Your comment made me feel better about doing ones like this in the future.

What's your idea for the lock? Is the combination part of the coords or is this part of a multi where the combination is in another place? Heck...where's the dern cache page anyway? I wanna see it...lol

Good thinking....I never thought about how it looked to others that might see someone getting into it. Your comment made me feel better about doing ones like this in the future.

What's your idea for the lock? Is the combination part of the coords or is this part of a multi where the combination is in another place? Heck...where's the dern cache page anyway? I wanna see it...lol

This is the cache.

There are four books and four clues. Each longitude clue has a seemingly nonsensical phrase like: "I am 632% sure the cache is not in a tree." Now the person does not know at this point where the cache box is or that there is a lock on it. They see the number and don't understand its significance until they get to the pole and see the lock.

Edited by Criminal

Did you have to get permission to hang it there?

I noticed that there is a company that hangs advertising high up on the light poles in various parking lots using those big wire-ties. The ties do not damage the pole so are considered temporary. Since I’m quite sure the library wouldn’t give permission for advertising, I take it to mean they have no policy. My box is no different.

Um, that sounds a lot like "no" to me. :blink:

This is the cache.

There are four books and four clues. Each longitude clue has a seemingly nonsensical phrase like: "I am 632% sure the cache is not in a tree." Now the person does not know at this point where the cache box is or that there is a lock on it. They see the number and don't understand its significance until they get to the pole and see the lock.

Now, THAT is an awesome idea! Great job!

LOL!!!! ;):P:)

The first dog to grab this cache will be in for quite the surprise!! This tennis ball is filled with concrete!! (not a nice "chewy-toy", if you know what I mean). :)

"Someone's goin' to the "vehhh . . . ettt"*

*[in my best "neener . . . neener" voice]. :):)

;)

Rick

LOL!!!! :):D:D

The first dog to grab this cache will be in for quite the surprise!! This tennis ball is filled with concrete!! (not a nice "chewy-toy", if you know what I mean). :D

"Someone's goin' to the "vehhh . . . ettt"*

*[in my best "neener . . . neener" voice]. :D:D

:D

Rick

Ummm...growing up, I had a dog that played with rocks. She would throw them in the air and catch them. I think she would definitely play with a concrete tennis ball.

By the way -- it's a very cool cache container!

Bec

A golf ball would be cool too.

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS IDEA!!! ;)

My uncle wanted to see what was in a golf ball one day. He got it open and some liquid center burst and sprayed in his eyes. He had to go to the ER and they were able to prevent permanent damage. ;)

Very true, AmishHacker! We tried drilling one and some have about 1,000 rubber bands that will cause the ball to explode once a few of them are broken. Very scary.

Be careful messing around with the insides of a golf ball. Not all golf balls are alike inside and you never know what's gonna happen until you try to drill into one.