Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

We are going to hide it amongst oak trees to see if anyone figures it out.

Heh. I've created a similar one using a Ponderosa Pine cone. My wife thought I should hide it along with a bunch of decoy cones under a Douglas Fir, since inevitably whenever the hint on a local cache references a 'pine tree' it turns out to actually be a doug fir. I ended up being species appropriate with the hide...

fake library book

I'm really curious what the story was on this one. Was it really inside a library?

We did a fake library book cache, too...actually, it USED to be a library book that was decatalogued. The librarian gave it to us and we hollowed it out and glued the pages to make a box. I wasn't there when she put it back on the shelf and even knowing approximately where it was, it was still hard to find without the exact Dewey number to find it. You can find it at: Gold & Iron

fake library book
I'm really curious what the story was on this one. Was it really inside a library?

We did a fake library book cache, too...actually, it USED to be a library book that was decatalogued. The librarian gave it to us and we hollowed it out and glued the pages to make a box. I wasn't there when she put it back on the shelf and even knowing approximately where it was, it was still hard to find without the exact Dewey number to find it. You can find it at: Gold & Iron

That looks pretty cool. Might have to check it out on the way to the 2/29 event. You going?

Below are several containers I used in the St. Louis area.

Misc-cache-cont.jpg

The top pictures consists of a 1/2" x 1 1/4" bolt attached to a handicap parking sign. I cut off the end of ther bolt and welded it to the nut. Then drilled out the center of the bolt and put in a small pencil point and small scroll log. Most of the threads in the nut are there so I can screw it back on the bolt and it doesn't look out of place

The next row consists of a Chapstick container with a scroll log and a small pencil. Turning the bottom of the chapstick pushes up the log and pencil. It is laying in the top cross brace of a large highway sign and held with Velcro in case of wind. The signs (one on each side) are attached to a walkway over the highway so you can't be seen retrieving the container.

The last consists of a 3 1/2 diskette that is a cache called "Some Disassembly Required". Sliding the aluminum shutter up allows the plastic diskette to be opened up and contains a log sheet. It is placed between 2 rocks (of which there are many) in an old springhouse so is protected from the weather.

Rich

That nut and bolt one is awesome. I wish I had the tools to make one. Here is a leg from one of my multi's. It is an actual leaf, laminated with the clue and coords for the next leg. It's hanging in a tree, and very hard to spot. I guess it's not really a container, but still kinda sneaky.

178480_3200.jpg

Edited by SBPhishy

Here are a few I bumped into on a roadtrip to another state. The leaf was the first stage of a multicache. The cache description did not indicate you were even looking for a leaf.

bafa63ad-ffdb-43cc-a9ee-10d333d1df87.jpg

The fake brick was the last stage of a multicache. A small container was glued to the back of the brick.

cf36419d-b57c-45f6-b814-edb2f7ffe50a.jpg

Very fun and frustrating in the cold.

44539_600.jpg

Not the best pic, but it looks like the best one showing the container of this cache.

You sure this pic wasn't from the thread where the GPS was lost in the porta john

Hey that was me that lost that GPS in the Porta John.

That would really stink. NO PUN intended. Ya know, I LOVE my Vista, but I might have to draw the line on diving in a Porta Potty. Think that would be covered under warranty?? By the way, did you ever get it back?? Working?? ;):D

This was the second cache we placed. I don't mind posting the pics coz the cache got 'muggled' and was destroyed and scattered so it's not a spoiler.

placingcache2.jpgI 'wiggled' the base down into the ground then covered it up with dirt and leaves.

logbook2.jpgIt was a bit smaller than an ammo box inside but it held a few goodies and a log book.

cache2.jpgA rub over with local dirt and some moss off a rotting log and there it was. The area had been logged not long before so it fitted in well with the area around.

See what finders thought

That is a cool container. How did you hollow out the log. I've spent several hours drilling one out with a fostners bit. Yours looks like it is square.

Who? Me? I cut all four sides off full length which left me with a square section. I then cut both ends off of that and discarded the center part. The whole thing was then put together again with screws and glue. Then, after cutting off the top, I lined the inside and left a lip to locate the 'lid'. The screws were hidden with glued on chips of bark. The base is obvious from the pics. A container like this is not water/weather proof so remember to use and supply a stock of ZipLock bags.

In a sense the hardest part was getting it to the hiding place. How do you walk through a popular hiking area with a chunk of a tree complete with a large wooden base attached and not look suspicious?

Unfortunately this one didn't last too long coz, somehow, it got muggled. It was well hidden and not too near a trail. Possibly someone saw a cacher looking for or finding it. All part of the game!

The last three use "Great Stuff" and just need a little paint to match the enviroment.

Please let us know when you get the great stuff painted! I have been wanting to play with that stuff but wasnt sure how well it would come out....

I has been painted I just don't have the pictures uploaded. I have two boxes that have been out for awhile with no problems from either of them. It works great as long as you don't get it on your clothes. links to the two "great stuff caches"

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c7-77f4a5dc10ea

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a1-015129b575c2

The reviews have been great. My only drawback to it is the price ($6.00per can). It takes one full can to cover the average ammo can, and about 1 1/2 cans for the bigger ammo boxes. You can shape it as it is drying (w/gloves) or carve it after it is dry, it is waterproof and easily painted. By the time you have $2.00 for the ammo box $6.00 for the "Great Stuff", a couple of dollars for chicken wire for a wire frame, and a couple of dollars for the wood frame you got yourself a $25.00 cache box not counting time and energy invested.

Glad you like the idea. (I don't know why the pics don't seem to be working)

I have updated my personal page with more pictures including better shots of the frames and the painted box.

http://www.geocities.com/joe420one/unique.html

Edited by mcdoodles

I have special ones I am working on, and I have a few others that are placed.

One that is close to my home. One is placed on a bridge, so I took a peice of treated 2x4, and drilled out the grain end just big enough to fit a 35mm film container into.....then I cut a larger circle to fit the lit flush against the grain.

My latetest ones include a pop up sprinkler.....remove the guts, and seal up the spinkler head (where the water would come out), and the bottom with silicone, and bury it.

And lastly, I bought a dran you would find in the yard to drain ponding water. I took a Sheet of ABS and cut out a perfect circle to fit inside the drain top. The drain top, and ABS are both black. Then this drain fits into a coupling, with a micro in the bottom. I cut out another circle of ABS and siliconed it into the base.

Note: Sorry I started the other topic, I didn't see this one B)

I'll post pics as soon as the paint dries B)

Robbie

My latetest ones include a pop up sprinkler.....remove the guts, and seal up the spinkler head (where the water would come out), and the bottom with silicone, and bury it.

No need to bury that cache (in violation of the rules). Check yer email for some super secret cache images that may help you out. There are ways to do it without digging.

Hi,

Quick question here...how do people respond to these hard to find caches? I ask because a cache I recently placed is lightly hidden in a pile of rocks, and the first person who went to look for it complained about the cache being too hard to find (even though it is given a 2.5 difficulty rating and you can park about 20 feet from it).

It is a micro (insert groans here) but makes sense for the area, and does have a log and some small tradeables. The container is a 2 ounce nalgene lexan jar covered in camo tape.

nfa

Edited by NFA

WOW - I am really impressed about all the great ideas you have for the boxes/caches. :D:lol::o

Here in Germany we usually find film canisters or tupperware boxes. But I am a newbie-cacher ... maybe I will find some cool ones like these here too :D

Thanks for all the great ideas. I am also a newbie and I was wondering how I can hide a cache in a busy area and not have it muggled the next day.

This thread also reminded me that we have small plastic olive barrels at work about the size of a big plastic pop bottle but with a big screw on lid. They are brown, have a handle, and are water-tight. They will make perfect caches.

I'll just have to wash them really well. Even so I doubt bears will like the smell of olive brine.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I am also a newbie and I was wondering how I can hide a cache in a busy area and not have it muggled the next day.

This thread also reminded me that we have small plastic olive barrels at work about the size of a big plastic pop bottle but with a big screw on lid. They are brown, have a handle, and are water-tight. They will make perfect caches.

I'll just have to wash them really well. Even so I doubt bears will like the smell of olive brine.

Let them soak filled with a bleach solution for a few days. Then again with straight water to remove the chlorine smell.

I just had another fun idea.

Have you seen natural Pumice Stone (frothy volcanic glass)? The high grade fine pumice is used for cosmetics. The "junk" stones are about 80% air bubbles and are often used for landscaping. It is fairly soft so it would be easy to chissel out a space for a container, and it's light so you could make it out of a rock that 99% of people wouldn't even think they could lift. It could be in total plain site in a park or any other outdoor setting and be completely ignored by millions of people.

:lol: