Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

On 6/26/2017 at 1:39 PM, kunarion said:

What about as Swag? If I had 500 extra centrifuge tubes, I might fill them partway with glow powder, seal that up, seal the cap shut, and print clear labels with various mysterious or cool sounding "contents" (wrap all the way around, since labels otherwise won't stick well). Also have labels with a picture of an owl or rubber duck, etc. You know, cover the bases. :anicute:

Something along these lines (but not using glass, of course):

07a08e30-5eea-420a-9039-65fdf12016f2.jpg

I would love those as swag!

On 11/18/2016 at 10:45 AM, susanbimini said:

Eye Opener (GC6TRA5), or as I like to think of it, "My little ball of fun". This guy has 11 prescription bottles epoxied into a ball with a green iguana guardian. Ten of the prescription bottles have reptile eyes painted on their lids and one bottle has a bird's eye painted on its' lid. The bird's eye bottle contains the log and the reptile eye bottles contain some fun little surprises!

DSCN9245%20640x480_zpsn2qyfaw3.jpg

DSCN9273%20640x480_zpsuopgxqhk.jpg

DSCN9290%20640x480_zpsev6bsfpn.jpg

DSCN9278%20640x480_zpsk2qldag6.jpg

DSCN9264%20640x480_zpsdrbpzose.jpg

I love it! What a fun idea. 

Do you find the prescription bottles keep everything reliably dry? I’m just starting out so getting some ideas of what to use.

26 minutes ago, deltonad said:

Just a quick question.Being new at this do people ever bury a container in the ground?

I've seen "below grade" containers, but they've always been placed in existing holes.

See the guidelines:

Do not bury

Do not bury geocaches, either partially or completely. You must not create a hole in the ground to place or find a geocache.

The only exception is if a property owner gives explicit permission to create a hole to place the cache, which you must provide to the reviewer and state on the cache page. A cache cannot require the finder to dig to reach the cache. See the Regional Geocaching Policies Wiki for details in your region.

Not the most complex or fancy of my caches, but sometimes simpler is cool. Built this one out of a log and some stuff laying around the house. The spike on the bottom is an old door stop sawed off so I can stake the log in the ground like a chopped down tree. I used a little brass key ring that is made to be embossed to make a door to keep the bugs out of the cache space. 

Might be the most devious of the caches I’ve built so far. 

F68673B7-D08F-4E27-97CA-CCA06A968CEA.jpeg

1CFF23FC-F43C-4943-B5A5-485C5C31DB54.jpeg

38D2A089-451E-4AB6-A0E1-3660E4822F0E.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Love 4

So I took a long time to design, contemplate my life choices and then used all the tools at my disposal to relax and review my creation.

(Lavender, shopping with girlfriend, long walks on the beach, quiet music, journaling, working on the house/geomobile, pets and animals, Minecraft(R), headache pills and chaser...)

I do hope you like it, please forgive any irregularities or not.

Sincerely, Corey aka MrCOgeo

PS This was after a few more "newbie" geocaches that are obviously very well thought out... If I am being too cynical or facetious please feel free to ignore and go find a geocache. ;-) LOL

Can you find the hidden Mickey and geocoin? Hmmmm?

IMG_20200930_121004268.jpg

Edited by MrCOgeo
---Adding construction and consequence picture

Chock block/wheel bumper that was cut in half and hollowed out and fitted with PVC pipe that had nesting containers that were protected by the PVC screw cap.  Whole thing ran on two "rails" that were also embedded  in the concrete.  This all was on an abandoned bridge.  Amazing!

container.png

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1

I’m not sure if we’re talking about the outside of a cache’s appearance, but I made a “birdhouse” geocache... inside is different than you would expect though! It’s based off of The Secret World of Arrietty, by Studio Ghibli... right now I’m working on a whole series about it (Studio Ghibli), but this one has a mini sort of house inside, and to find the log, you have to find the nano inside of the tiny cupboard! I’ll attach some photos in the cache library for you to see, and I’ll add the link to the cache!

the cache GC94P2D

tell me what you think!

Edited by Spudyr
9 minutes ago, Spudyr said:

I’m not sure if we’re talking about the outside of a cache’s appearance, but I made a “birdhouse” geocache... inside is different than you would expect though! It’s based off of The Secret World of Arrietty, by Studio Ghibli... right now I’m working on a whole series about it (Studio Ghibli), but this one has a mini sort of house inside, and to find the log, you have to find the nano inside of the tiny cupboard! I’ll attach some photos in the cache library for you to see, and I’ll add the link to the cache!

the cache GC94P2D

tell me what you think!

It won’t let me post photos, so you will have to go to the cache page to look at the photo library. There I have attached a photo of the inside of the cache!

I was gonna put this in the 10-year-old tree thread, but I think it's "cool" enough for this Topic. 

Here's how I hid a cache in a tree.  It was in a thin tree that was bent like a bow, but that tree broke.  Then this tape measure began to be too rusty.  So I archived it.  I'm planning on a new one, based on things I learned from this one.

The container is a 50ml centrifuge tube, a little bigger than a match tube.  It's hanging from paracord at the end of a 25' spring-loaded retractable tape measure that has a wire hook to hang on a branch.  Below that, the cord is coated with epoxy and kinked-up so it looks like a vine (it doesn't hang straight).  It also has a few pieces of plastic pine straw "thorns".  The whole thing is heavily camouflaged with duct tape, cloth leaves, plastic foam, and coats of paint.  I sometimes sprayed a little quick-drying Teflon lock spray into the mechanism, so the tape moved smoothly.

It was in place for 6 years.  There are about a dozen old car tires right there, so I named the cache "I'm so Tired", and I placed softballs and other things I found in the woods next to the ball field, inside the tires, which created a lot of places to search.  But I also had a ton of cryptic clues in the cache description about the hide style.

Can you see it in the tree?  It's above eye level, and lots of cachers fail to look up when searching.  Even if they did, it just looks like clumps of dead leaves.  Cachers had to search a long time to find this one.  Some of them pushed that annoying "vine" out of their face while searching.  :P

IMG_8281.jpg

IMG_8282.jpg

IMG_8283.jpg

IMG_8284.jpg

IMG_8286.jpg

IMG_8311.jpg

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, DARKSIDEDAN said:

The best cache container yet

See the source image

That’s great!  If I was creative, I’d bet I could make lots of cool stuff.  I start with an amazing idea, and the more I work on it, the less imaginative it becomes.  I have to stop myself before it turns out to be a plain old undecorated box.  :anicute:

• Upvote 2

So this is not a cache container but is the first part of a multi-cache that I thought was pretty cool.  It is kind of a like a telescope with cross hairs that directs you to a tree where your next find is (the cache container).  I thought this was pretty clever and just some PVC with cross hairs made into it and then mounted to a fallen tree.  

20210522_085916.jpg

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

At least those are pine needles around that pinecone.

I've seen those hidden in deciduous trees, like a maple.

It depends on how difficult the CO wants the hide to be.

A fake pine cone in the same kind of pine tree? Extremely difficult. One might even call it a "needle in a haystack" hide.

A fake pine cone in a different kind of pine tree? Very difficult, requiring keen observation.

A fake pine cone in some other kind of conifer tree (fir, spruce, redwood, etc.)? Difficult, requiring good observation.

A fake pine cone in another kind of tree entirely (oak, maple, sweetgum, etc.)? Easier, requiring some observation.

• Upvote 2

VCCGT: The Thrill Is Gone Gadget
The outside container is at a golf course and designed to look a bit like a bee box.  Inside the cacher finds a BB puzzle and a locked compartment  Solve the puzzle to get the combo to the locked compartment, which has an ammo can inside.  I think the whole thing is a cool cache container.

1733.jpeg

c26d4d56-ba4e-4e25-99ea-ea268af9a02e_l.jpeg

Edited by CachedIronSkillet
  • Upvote 5

This is one of my themed novelty containers which I've just been doing some repair work on, so I thought I'd post a photo here:

20210617_113759.thumb.jpg.4c20f687621b9ef3b0e2083fc5dd113d.jpg

The spider's belly is lined with a plastic bag sewn under the zipper, to separate the logbook compartment from the stuffing. The cache's geographical location is known as Dark Corner so it's normally lurking in its own dark corner awaiting tasty cacher meat:

Lurking.jpg.bb62b18da2452829ec7a9f5fd7e00e60.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2