Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

Ugh. I love the DNA tubes. I got like 500 for $5.00 lol

Velcro didn't even cross my mind. Definitely a great idea

I have a box of 500 50ML centrifuge tubes (slightly bigger than match tubes, and they hold more). I found a great deal on ebay, a couple years ago. I've placed some of those. They have a screw-on cap like a soda bottle lid. Pretty cool, but all of these kinds of plastic tube degrade outdoors. So one tip is to design your hides so that you can easily replace the tube when necessary, without having to rebuild the whole thing.

Velcro didn't even cross my mind. Definitely a great idea

I have a box of 500 50ML centrifuge tubes (slightly bigger than match tubes, and they hold more). I found a great deal on ebay, a couple years ago. I've placed some of those. They have a screw-on cap like a soda bottle lid. Pretty cool, but all of these kinds of plastic tube degrade outdoors. So one tip is to design your hides so that you can easily replace the tube when necessary, without having to rebuild the whole thing.

I was going to say the same thing.

Add to that, the lid attachment on the flip top centrifuge tubes will break well before the glue or velcro gives out. They are designed for short term use in the lab, not for long term exposure to the elements as a geocache.

• Upvote 1

I find them to be the most miserable, inadequate log containers going.

What about as Swag? If I had 500 extra centrifuge tubes, I might fill them partway with glow powder, seal that up, seal the cap shut, and print clear labels with various mysterious or cool sounding "contents" (wrap all the way around, since labels otherwise won't stick well). Also have labels with a picture of an owl or rubber duck, etc. You know, cover the bases. :anicute:

Something along these lines (but not using glass, of course):

07a08e30-5eea-420a-9039-65fdf12016f2.jpg

Edited by kunarion
On 4/21/2017 at 10:59 PM, cliptwings said:

My latest Arduino gadget container is patterned after the "Hangman" game. Instead of using a paper and pencil, the finder must successfully guess one of five words loaded on the arduino in order to open the container. The words are easy and mentioned in the description (hint). Here is link to the video:

This is the BEST.  Love it.  Maybe something on the back of the board to protect the wires though.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2008 at 1:39 PM, pghlooking said:

And you are encouraging people to play in electrical boxes why? So what happens when some kids looks for your next caches and thinks it is the same hide "technique" and dies from an electrical shock? Will you still think your container is so cool?

I like this cache as well.   Kids are stupid, but not that stupid to think every electrical box is a geocache.

On 9/13/2013 at 10:37 PM, kunarion said:

I'm trying out some ideas with "hide-a-key" fake sprinkler heads. There are more ways to use these than just pressing them into dirt as "sprinklers".

On top of a sign post, attached to a magnet (also try it on a fence post):

344triq.jpg

Among unused plumbing:

2m7j961.jpg

In a planter (not buried, among the plants in a planter I own):

2vbv3b6.jpg

As a "fire sprinkler":

2nqadd1.jpg

Another placement on a plumbing fixture:

or5imq.jpg

Nicely done! Never thought of hiding one of those in that fashion.

Has this battery powered cache near Aalborg in Denmark been shown here yet? I found it a few weeks ago.

It's called GC745T0 "Gubbifiskens arcadeeventyr 6 x AA" in Danish, which translates to "Guppy fish's arcade adventure 6 x AA".

It is a small game that requires you to bring your own batteries, which powers a small computer, a screen and a joystick.

The game is a 3 screen game of avoiding moving perils, and gives out a code when finished. The code unlocks a container holding the log book.

IMG_2942r.thumb.jpg.6683865d1616253809c63006497acdeb.jpg

/Mogens

Edited by deepo
Owner changed battery type
  • Love 3

I've made a few caches using 50ml centrifuge tubes.  I have a buhzillion, give or take.  I generally make the cache camo so that I can replace the container as-is, not decorated.  I never make a "power-trail" of this kind of thing, but here and there, a Micro in an appropriate spot works well.

Here's a new idea I'm still testing.  I have vinyl pin-striping tape and huge assortment of skateboard stickers.  Also vinyl "hotel stickers", reproductions of old stickers from around the world.  I apply the green stripe of tape to cover the laboratory vial markings, and to make a nice spot to write cache info.  Then I wrap a sticker or two around the tube.  Done!

I have a match tube that has a holder tube.  The holder is Velcro'd to an upward pointing branch.  Something like that might work pretty well for these.  The holder can have whatever camo I want.

You can see an ordinary orange match tube for size comparison.  These tubes are pretty roomy.

IMAG2836.jpg

IMAG2837.jpg

Edited by kunarion

Just a shout out for the durability of PET preform tubes (aka "PETlings") as geocaches, around which cool containers can be built.  I checked out an area where I used to have a micro cache years ago; the container had gone missing, so I archived it.  I actually found the PET preform today, just sitting on the ground.  The last signature in the perfectly preserved log was 9 years old.

"The Easter Beagle" cache had cool "Clan Riffster style" camouflage on the box, the leaf/stick or hunter blind burlap covering was glued on.  But when I adopted it, only the old sealant remained.  It still had a pretty interesting texture, just no camo.

So I've glued new natural camo onto five sides of the box using clear outdoor sealant.  I think it it's a decent tribute to Clan Riffster style covering.  I'll return this original box to its spot once the sealant cures.

box-1.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2
4 hours ago, kunarion said:

"The Easter Beagle" cache had cool "Clan Riffster style" camouflage on the box, the leaf/stick or hunter blind burlap covering was glued on.  But when I adopted it, only the old sealant remained.  It still had a pretty interesting texture, just no camo.

So I've glued new natural camo onto five sides of the box using clear outdoor sealant.  I think it it's a decent tribute to Clan Riffster style covering.  I'll return this original box to its spot once the sealant cures.

box-1.jpg

I love ammo boxes!  I get bored with log-only finds... I want stuff to trade!!!!!    :)

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

I have been gone for a while.  Thinking of getting back into the game.  Here is one I have had in storage for a long time.  It looks like a utility.  You open both caps and pull on the fake wires and the container rides up on a cable and pops out the top.  Of course I am sure people are concerned about having someone pull on bare wires.  The clues and location will assist in making sure everyone is save and understand what the cache is.  Hope you like it and see it in the wild soon. 

It sure is fun catching up on this thread.  Thanks for keeping it the #1 viewed and replied to thread on Geocaching!

AmishHacker

2.thumb.jpg.daf1e1e9cb359b338b13dc0f703c136b.jpg1.thumb.jpg.c8797f5637fb3a93005e625c2f95d795.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

AmishHacker, it is wonderful to see you here again.  A lot has happened while you've been gone, and I encourage you to get back into the game.  One of the most positive geocaching developments in recent years is the rise of the "Gadget Cache" as a genre.  

Your example reminded me immediately of this cache in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, that I found during a roadtrip a few months ago.  Since the cache is named "The Cleanout," I don't feel like I'm posting a spoiler!  It has a 37% favorite points average.

On 3/3/2020 at 6:50 PM, Keystone said:

Switching hats, in honor of the Topic Starter's return, I have pinned this thread at the top of the Geocaching Topics forum so that it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

Wow!  Keystone... THANKS!  After 16 years of this thread coming in an out of existence it got pinned!  I am so excited about that.  I am truly honored.  The way I found it was by looking up the most viewed thread and there it was.  

Now how do I get one of those nifty +Charter Members tags lol.  Does being on Geocaching.com since 2003 count? :)  

Anyway.  Not to get off-topic on my own thread... but had to say THANK YOU to Keystone!  See you all around (or not because I never show my face if you remember)

Amish Hacker

keystone.jpg.ac9ee5e83a5b86319269b16e69651e1d.jpg

• Love 2
On 4/12/2020 at 7:01 PM, EthisEthat said:

In my area, new caches have stopped being published.

On 5/24/2019 at 10:27 PM, Goldenwattle said:

This is one of my caches. Hidden under that boulder, attached to the 'roof'. The spider is not seen until your head is almost upon it.

Red Hill cache.jpg

Spider hide.jpg

Cache 2.jpg

oh jeez, that would scare me so bad! lol

• Upvote 1
On 5/25/2020 at 11:43 PM, kunarion said:

Looks interesting.  Pieces of pine cones glued to... something?  Bison tubes?

In my experience it is hard to make them stick well enough. We have one out in a nearby forest but it keeps losing parts.

I suppose you fix it with larger parts and more glue, but I think I will stick to 3D printed ones... but not the one at Thingiverse. It has some serious design flaws. We have our own that doesn't lead water into the container.

On 6/9/2020 at 1:00 PM, Ragnemalm said:

In my experience it is hard to make them stick well enough. We have one out in a nearby forest but it keeps losing parts.

I suppose you fix it with larger parts and more glue, but I think I will stick to 3D printed ones... but not the one at Thingiverse. It has some serious design flaws. We have our own that doesn't lead water into the container.

They are available on Ebay too.

1 hour ago, fromthewildwater said:

Here’s a new one of mine, in a fruitful pear tree. ?

That's very cute, when pears are on the tree!  What happens when the tree is not at a "fruitful" stage?  I suppose blossoms could hide the ripened pear.  Does the tree ever lose all its leaves (wintertime)?  The fruit may become a bit more obvious at that time!!

2 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

That's very cute, when pears are on the tree!  What happens when the tree is not at a "fruitful" stage?  I suppose blossoms could hide the ripened pear.  Does the tree ever lose all its leaves (wintertime)?  The fruit may become a bit more obvious at that time!!

It does blossom and it does lose its leaves in winter. It’s still full enough that it wouldn’t be dead easy. I did mention in the description that the difficulty would vary depending on the time of year. I still thought it was a neat idea and worth bringing cachers to the tree for a complimentary pear. ☺️

• Upvote 1
On 5/10/2020 at 6:51 AM, G0ldNugget said:

Found this one recently. Definitely unusual.

bones.jpg

bones-hide.jpg

I have found a few like that. Usually sitting in full view out in the open, which it can do, as to anyone else, it's just another bone. Lots of bones seen when out walking, especially when there's been a drought.

5 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Could replace with a fake partridge?:P

• Funny 1