Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

My wife, Michelle, AKA Mrs. geocat, passed away August 7, 2014. Earlier this year I turned her car into a cache! I used her craft paints to paint the logos and trackable codes from ones I have in my inventory. I took a remote controlled skeleton/zombie we used to love to chase the kids down the driveway at Halloween and put her behind the wheel. I think she would love it! Mrs. geocat's Trackamobile

d39a52b6-e883-45a1-8075-12d3bf1fc5b1_l.jpg

ebd54334-e37d-4891-bbc5-ca1702798100_l.jpg

5f62f6d2-3a93-402a-b953-71b7f99da3f1_l.jpg

49c55c29-6c98-4de9-8a70-b11513367a76_l.jpg

We've visited this cache. Incredible! One bin is devotes to trackables. What a fantastic memorial, one of our favorites, for sure.

I just loved the movie and book "The Martian." I developed this two stage cache to mimic the scene where the astronaut uses an old Mars probe to communicate with NASA. The geocaching number is GC6G639. Here's how it works: There's an arduino microcontroller in the cookie tin. It controls lights, buzzer, and the servo that moves the "camera." When you raise the antenna, the probe wakes up and points to the characters on the edge of the tin. Then the finder uses an ascii table (there's one in the description and one on the probe) to convert the hexidecimal characters into the coordinates for the second stage, or "rescue" vehicle. So far it's working pretty good.

https://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a6db28b3127cceec460f43fb8f00000030O1wAcNGrhs5Zt2bUHt58E/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00537396854820160510010615968.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D1/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

• Upvote 1

The ultimate "micro" (microwave) cache:

As viewed when approaching from a nearby trail:

c77d27c5-b2aa-4bc2-b469-71b123a8a0d6_l.jpg

A closer look:

af251181-4b78-4d63-938c-b8bc06688354_l.jpg

A view from the "back" side:

8d6733e3-e195-4103-ad3b-f4ae695e1177_l.jpg

Mostly hand-sawed (which took like forever) with fasteners assembled from inside to be invisible. This started as a 17" diameter log, 26" in length, weighing well over 100 lbs green. Final cache is still estimated around 50 lbs (with working innards of the microwave removed). I hauled it to the forest with help of an appliance hand truck. There's a few seams which are larger than I'd like, but definitely nothing obvious from a distance. Also notice that it's plugged into an electrical outlet in a dead stump. There's more details inside once the door is opened, but that's a surprise that I'm not going to share here.

Believe it or not, there is actually a thread here somewhere about a very similar cache that was blown up by a bomb squad. I kid you not. It even had the fake outlet.

• Upvote 1

A closer look:

Mostly hand-sawed (which took like forever) with fasteners assembled from inside to be invisible. This started as a 17" diameter log, 26" in length, weighing well over 100 lbs green. Final cache is still estimated around 50 lbs (with working innards of the microwave removed). I hauled it to the forest with help of an appliance hand truck. There's a few seams which are larger than I'd like, but definitely nothing obvious from a distance. Also notice that it's plugged into an electrical outlet in a dead stump. There's more details inside once the door is opened, but that's a surprise that I'm not going to share here.

Believe it or not, there is actually a thread here somewhere about a very similar cache that was blown up by a bomb squad. I kid you not. It even had the fake outlet.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=239420&view=findpost&p=4181080

A closer look:

I believe the cache you're talking about wasn't actually blown up - the report said a jet of water was used to open the microwave and then it was discovered it was the geocache. I am not from the states so I don't know about the location of it - but it does seem to be incredibly similar..!

My first attempt at making a hummingbird feeder disguised cache. It has a 50ML vial inside for the log.

a0bebc1d-73c2-45c9-ab32-e7b94bb1c424.jpg

c5e97b26-63e3-4c15-8fa1-1a727cf155ce.jpg

My next challenge is to make the storage space larger. I have a 250ML Nalgene jar. So instead of a Micro, the next design could be a "Small"!

Edited by kunarion

Eye Opener (GC6TRA5), or as I like to think of it, "My little ball of fun". This guy has 11 prescription bottles epoxied into a ball with a green iguana guardian. Ten of the prescription bottles have reptile eyes painted on their lids and one bottle has a bird's eye painted on its' lid. The bird's eye bottle contains the log and the reptile eye bottles contain some fun little surprises!

DSCN9245%20640x480_zpsn2qyfaw3.jpg

DSCN9273%20640x480_zpsuopgxqhk.jpg

DSCN9290%20640x480_zpsev6bsfpn.jpg

DSCN9278%20640x480_zpsk2qldag6.jpg

DSCN9264%20640x480_zpsdrbpzose.jpg

Where did everybody go? I was hoping for a little feedback. I just starting hiding caches a couple months ago and they have had very little traffic. Of the 12 I've hidden, 5 have not been found. How sad is that? Figured if I posted pictures here someone would certainly have something to say, but no such luck. I just finished a really cool wasp nest, but what's the point of putting it out when no one seems to care? Guess I'm finished making geocaches for now. Sorry to complain about this here, I'm just very frustrated. Wish I'd stuck to just finding them and not hiding them.

Where did everybody go? I was hoping for a little feedback. I just starting hiding caches a couple months ago and they have had very little traffic. Of the 12 I've hidden, 5 have not been found. How sad is that? Figured if I posted pictures here someone would certainly have something to say, but no such luck. I just finished a really cool wasp nest, but what's the point of putting it out when no one seems to care? Guess I'm finished making geocaches for now. Sorry to complain about this here, I'm just very frustrated. Wish I'd stuck to just finding them and not hiding them.

At least one of your caches is in a quiet area. Caches don't seem to be found often there. But I'll bet that when they are found, people will be surprised by the fun container. They're pretty cool, I've never seen any like those. There's no time frame for when to expect people to find your cache. And people who view photos here can't always go find the caches. They're at least a few hours' drive away for me. :anicute:

Several of my caches get visited by me a lot more often than they get found. That can be a good thing, since the cache then remains in fine condition. If everybody and his monkey is finding them all the time, the caches tend to require more maintenance, and are found in less than ideal shape.

Edited by kunarion

I was hoping for a little feedback. I just starting hiding caches a couple months ago and they have had very little traffic. Of the 12 I've hidden, 5 have not been found. How sad is that? Figured if I posted pictures here someone would certainly have something to say, but no such luck.

Your owl is the most fabulous cache I've seen. If your hides were around here they'd be unlikely to go 24hrs without being found even if they were tricky puzzle caches but, as kunarion very sensibly pointed out, the fewer people manhandle your works of art then the longer they'll last out in the wild. I expect as you begin to get a good reputation as a cache owner then word of mouth (or facebook) will bring more finders to your caches. I look forward to seeing photos of your wasps nest container too.

Happy hiding! :)

Edited by elfre

Wow, what a difference a day made! Went from 5 unfounded to just 2, but one of those people have been trying to find so there is only one lonely guy left! And one of the locals from yesterday sent me a wonderful message about my hides. Then I read Elfre's fantastic response to my owl and I was on cloud 9 with happiness. Plus, I had not even considered a high traffic area leading to more damage. Amazing how I was blinded to that. It's such a good point that now I'm starting to think they might be better off with less people finding them. I've been completely re-motivated and now I'm excited to hang my wasp nest.

I was thinking about calling it "Head Buzzer" and making the description full of geocaching abbreviations. I still need to work on the wording and add the beginning/ending, but something like:

Some say that AMIAT is like a NIAH making one do a DBD, which is a WOTAG especially if they CRI and end up with a DNF. For those who do MTF, they'll need to BYOP to SL. The MKH is a popular option for GRC like EGGS and GRiMS, which are frequently CAAR placed on the ROW turning these P&G into QEFs where most just TNLNSL while trying to avoid any LEOs. For SWAG, TBs, or to TBD, a LNL is sometimes used. These are commonly hidden at the BOT maybe a TTT, MTT, or ICT. Although one should still keep an eye out for UPS, URP, SOOP, or OPR near GZ and make sure to avoid any PI. Hopefully, the caches will be FIGS and not NM or SBA.

Here's the nest:

DSCN9298%20640x480_zpsfyqwkvbq.jpg

DSCN9320%20640x480_zpsrbwwcadd.jpg

DSCN9333%20640x480_zps6lzmkcud.jpg

Great wasp nest susanbimini. :)

Here are a couple of cache containers that made me smile recently. I'm not sure if the second one will mean much to people outside the UK but it made me smile. The first one is a small bison tube that's hidden in an ICT (ignore the travel bug at lower left) because nanos in ivy covered trees are the nemeses of English cachers! ;)

df675a19-6d2a-4e37-8cda-3acf21b4a994_l.jpg

cc6fe801-30d1-441d-a3f2-0819a69cf9b3_l.jpg

Thank you Cemetery Sister. I'm really glad you like Techno Owl. I wonder why you aren't receiving the notifications. Let's see if you get a notice for this posting. Let us know, yes? Personally, I'm still trying to figure out how to post on this thing. I know I should respond directly to your post to make the box thing, but for some reason the space bar won't work when I try that way. Maybe there's a Moderator lurking around who will impart their wisdom upon us.

is there a reason I can't see the "posted pics". I see a few, and some links work, but most of this appears as an "x out" of picture image.

never mind. right after I complained, the pictures rendered and I can see all the cool caches now.

Edited by TWINKofEP

A couple of weeks ago, I made a hummingbird feeder "Micro" cache. Now I've found a thick plastic cup (it has a lid with a rubber seal) and made a "Small". It can hold lots of great swag!

6dce6645-e570-4a05-9512-2ea0f8e48a0c.jpg

8365096f-9f48-44bc-9483-316f308c968c.jpg

I bet the hummingbirds are disappointed ;)

Really cute, I like it.

In my nick of the woods, the hummingbirds would be buzzing you. :laughing:

This is one of mine. When placing the cache, the container was going to be just a standard Sistema (our equivalent of Lock'n'Lock) but when scouting for hiding places, I found this hollow in the embankment that looked like a miniature wombat hole, so what better than a miniature wombat?

wombat.jpg

Edited by barefootjeff

My latest Arduino gadget container is patterned after the "Hangman" game. Instead of using a paper and pencil, the finder must successfully guess one of five words loaded on the arduino in order to open the container. The words are easy and mentioned in the description (hint). Here is link to the video:

My latest Arduino gadget container is patterned after the "Hangman" game. Instead of using a paper and pencil, the finder must successfully guess one of five words loaded on the arduino in order to open the container. The words are easy and mentioned in the description (hint). Here is link to the video:

I LOVE IT!

I have found some really cool things at the dollar stores/dollar general stores that I would like to attach plastic DNA tubes to like miniature gnomes and frogs, etc...

Forgive me if this is a repeat of someone else's question but....

What "solidly" sticks things together and is waterproof?

I've tried hot glue, crazy glue, E6000 and gorilla glue and they either break off easily or wash off when it rains.

Any tricks or tips??

Will JB weld work on plastic?

I have found some really cool things at the dollar stores/dollar general stores that I would like to attach plastic DNA tubes to like miniature gnomes and frogs, etc...

Forgive me if this is a repeat of someone else's question but....

What "solidly" sticks things together and is waterproof?

I've tried hot glue, crazy glue, E6000 and gorilla glue and they either break off easily or wash off when it rains.

Any tricks or tips??

Will JB weld work on plastic?

The thing I use most lately is a wrap of Velcro (the kind that sticks to itself) around the tube, and glue that pretty well, which provides a great surface for JB Weld or whatever you like, to glue an additional small item. And I also wrap a magnet into the Velcro, for ease of attachment (to a magnet clip on a branch or whatever).

Now if you're intending to "glue" things to the cap of a centrifuge tube, good luck with that. <_<

You'll be replacing the whole thing frequently, regardless of the glue (or I usually see these get archived after they break). I gave up on centrifuge tubes before ever placing one. Just too fragile, and they are not designed to seal anything more than once or twice. I switched to match tubes and bison tubes for micros.

But you could secure a plastic item to a cap, if you instead run a small screw through the bottom of the cap, into the item. Maybe use just enough "glue" (even craft glue) to keep the screw from backing out. As for how you place a centrifuge tube... poking it into the ground?... I'll leave that up to your further reading of the cache hiding guidelines, and your cache reviewer. :anibad:

Edited by kunarion